Accessing ST App on a Chromebook

I have ST running on my Samsung phone just fine, but I’d also like to be able to access all my settings and such from my new Chromebook. However, all attempts to get it working have failed so far.

When I install the app and launch it on the Chromebook (Android app) it asks if I’m new or if I’m a Smartthings User. I tell it I have the latter. It then asks for my e-mail and password, which I supply.

After logging in it wants to verify the country. No problem.

Then it gives me this big HELLO screen and asks for one thing, “Enter Code here”. What code??? The help all talks about activating my account or the hub and I don’t want to do either. The Welcome code doesn’t work. It says it’s invalid.

I just want to have multiple instances connected to the app. Is this really not possible?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks (and hoping everyone is having a great holiday)

When it rains, it pours :grinning:

1 Like

GRR. Spoke to support today and they insisted that the ST app will not work via Android on a Chromebook. That seems extremely ridiculous.

It may work but it isn’t something we officially support. Similar to sideloading the ST app on a kindle Fire.

But, it seems like this is just a case of needing to tap “I’m a new user” and putting in your email address. When you tap “SmartThings User”, it assumes you are trying to sign in with a SmartThings account but your hub is on your Samsung account. In cases where both a SmartThings and Samsung account exist within SmartThings, the app will default to the SmartThings account which is why you are being prompted for a welcome code.

It worked for me before my ST account was migrated to a Samsung account. If it isn’t supported on chromebooks the mobile team should flag that in the play store so that it cannot be downloaded on a chromebook.

How is it possible that a product now owned by Samsung doesn’t work at all on their flagship Chromebook Pro??? This isn’t rocket science, it’s just an app that’s already developed. This is so typical of this company… it’s too big and the one hand doesn’t know what the other is doing!

Works great for me on my Acer Chromebook.Full screen just like I wished it worked on a PC.

I had to install the Google Play Store app to inside the Android simulator in Chromebook from the Play store that comes in Chrome OS. Then install Smartthings from that new Google Play Store app inside of the simulator.

I have a Samsung Chromebook, and it keeps asking me to install a Samsung Browser app, which i can’t install.

1 Like

Install Firefox from the Google Play store that should work.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff_H. I was just able to install on my Acer Chromebook after installing Firefox. Your suggestion was much appreicated.

That’s great.
The Classic app still works well on my chromebook. I also had the new Smartthings app installed but after the last update to the new app, it stopped working. It just freezes when you try to open it.
But that’s OK as long as the Classic works.

ST worked fine on my Acer Chromebook for the last 3 or 4 years, Last week Chrome went through a major update, and now SmartThings does not work. I can not log into my hub. I have tried everything, and Samsung help desk says they do not support Chrome Books. They only support Phones. Lucky that I have a phone with SmartThings installed. Any help with logging in on my Chromebook would be appreciated. Thanks, and Good Luck

I have been working with the new SmartThings App for the last 2 weeks or so, and am tired of trying to make it work right for me. The scenes don’t change the mode, and the modes don’t work with the scenes very well. It seems like there are a lot of unfinished work on this project. I hope they maintain the Classic interface until they get the new program working. I have quit working with the new system entirely, and have reverted back to the original app.

1 Like

The current version of the new app doesn’t work on the android simulator on my chromebook. It appears to be unable to communicate to the internet out of the android sandbox.
Luckily the classic app still works fine on the chromebook.

So I managed to get the ST App running on my Chromebook by installing the Android version of Firefox, so sign in worked.
However when I get it open, it turns out that Samsung haven’t even bothered to make it re-sizable… unlike the Classic App, so it’s stuck on a small phone shaped window.
This is from a company that sells the Galaxy Fold and Tab S6!
Looks like I’ll stick with the Classic app until the bitter end and ignore the Migrate banners…

1 Like

Super old post, but I just had to thank you for the Firefox suggestion. I was trying to install regular Chrome (only beta and dev show in the Play Store) or the Samsung Internet app; never would have tried Firefox.

THANK YOU!

Yes glad that it works, even if the new app stays phone-sized. Enjoy !

It actually works ok in tablet mode. Fills up the screen and all.

1 Like

Another reason they should open the web app up :+1:. Although it’s currently limited in capabilities compared to the Android app.

I remember when then tablet version of the classic Android app worked on chrome OS. That made administrating ST a breeze!

Hey I just double tapped the black bar at the top while on my Chromebook and then the app filled the screen, now 4 icons wide instead of 2 ! That’s a nice improvement. Double tap again and it goes back.