Accessing my Son's Hub?

I have a hub at my house and purchased one for my son. Is there a way I can access his hub from my phone? I’m looking to helping him setup his system.

If his hub is on a separate SmartThings “Account” (not just a different Location under your Account), then you will have to logout and login to his Account; i.e., the simplest way is to borrow his login and password.

There is some limited ability to share an Account with other people so they can use their own login … but not sure what happens when you use that rather new method to access stuff “across” Accounts; i.e., there are account sharing functions, but, well, I don’t know how well they work yet.

Your son can invite you to have access to his hub via the smarthings app. I’m sharing access to my mothers hub and it works well.

Its under My account/manage users. Have him send you an invite and then you can switch to his hub under locations. Keep in mind that you will have full access and get any push notification he sets up on his hub.

1 Like

there are account sharing functions, but, well, I don’t know how well they work yet.

The sharing functions work pretty well. As audiorazor has mentioned, you currently get access to everything on the hub except for further sharing. You get the push notifications, and can check on see, change the things and smartapps that are attached.

It sounds like a good way to set up the system and if your son wants the full independence, he could remove the share afterwords.

1 Like

Your son can send you an invitation to join his account.

Official FAQ here:

1 Like