Access to IDE for secondary user?

I have a SmartThings hub and have no problem accessing the IDE interface. I am listed as owner of the hub
I added a new user. The new user can correctly use the SmartThings classic app. He can open the SmartThings IDE interface, however he can not see any Things, routines, etc.
Any suggestions?

Can the secondary user see your SmartThings Location under My Locations tab? And open the various Location detail columns?

(They might be landing on the wrong Shard by default.)

@tgauchat
Sorry, my bad. On closer observation the managed user can see hub, location and things. I was using a mobile and it was a bit unclear before.
I am also getting around about how this works.
Under: Location > Home the person can see everything that I see. Including installed SmartApps.
Something I noticed is that the managed user does not see from the top menu “My SmartApps” or “Device Handlers”. I presume this section is used dependent (other user didnt have GitHub access setup). When I have to publish new Smartapps and Device Handlers I only see the option to select “Publish for Me”? I couldn’t find a way to change that (publish for other managed users as well)
So the (new) question is, can you publish SmartApps or DTHs for all managed users? So they all can see them? I’ll try getting the other user to get GitHub access but not sure if that matters.
Thanks!

Are they using https://account.smartthings.com when logging into IDE?

@jkp see my previous post in case you didn’t see since it went a couple of mins before yours. Yes that is the url

@jkp I posted on 1:56pm, may be you did see it.
For clarity, other user accessed using the url https://account.smartthings.com as you mentioned. My new question was about secondary user seeing primary user published DTHs from GitHub for instance.

No.

I don’t know exactly how “managed users” works (haven’t used it); but one of the following is definitely true:

• The managed user can see and do everything the primary user can do. So if a SmartApp is published “for me” the managed user will see it in the SmartThings Classic App under “Marketplace / +More”, and/or under already installed Automations / SmartApps.

OR

• The managed user can only perform a small subset of functions, which probably does not include directly installing / configuring custom SmartApps.

There is no point in-between.

There is no “publish for me and all my managed users”. No. Definitely not.

@tgauchat Thanks
I am getting my head around this (I am not a programmer but have a high level concept of this)
Maybe I can make a poor attempt of explaining this:

1. SmartApps allow the user to do cool automation.
  2. SmartApps is code that comes from code.
  3. The developer would normally name their SmartApp. For instance: “Something Left Open”
  4. SmartApps are available to the user from the following sources:
    a. SmartThings MarketPlace (generic for all)
    b. Personal MarketPlace (smartthings account specific)
    i. Connecting and pulling from GitHub
    ii. Typing the code
  5. A user can install an app from any of the sources in #4 they have access to.
  6. Once the app is installed it is available and ready to use (and independent on whether the source continues to exist)
  7. User can name the app differently for instance “Main door left open for 3 minutes”

What I am finding is that a second user:
a. Has access to any/all installed apps
b. Does NOT have access to the “Personal Marketplace” of the main user

1 Like

Your list of points is a good summary and accurate.

If this is what you found by testing, it is likely correct.

While this might not have been the intentional design by SmartThings, “secondary users” are bound to experience some anomalies and unlikely to be fixed (since the architecture for SmartApps is radically changing anyway).

If you self-publish SmartApp code, it seems reasonable (even if unintentional) for only the publisher’s Account to be able to instantiate such SmartApps.

@tgauchat Thanks
One unrelated item you just made me think of: Is there a continuity concern with regards to current smartthings/smartapps/webcore?
You mentioned the architecture radically changing. I also read elsewhere about the “new” smartthings app phasing out smartthings classic. I hope I don’t end up with a system that doesn’t work/extend in the future.

By the way came across ACTIONTILES website/video. Pretty Cool. Just realized you are behind it !

Samsung / SmartThings doesn’t make many official announcements in this regard, but all the unofficial statements have consistently said that the “Groovy IDE” (i.e., legacy API) will not be discontinued without plenty of notice, and that it is still a long ways off. I caution that there are hundreds of reasons this prediction could be broken; not only because it is unofficial. Heck, previous SmartThings CEO/CTO/etc. broke many significant promises.

So yes - there’s a concern, but there’s nothing that can be done about it.

The new API promises more openness; but simplest way to describe it is … “better but different” and “more complicated depending on perspective” and “somewhat less oriented to ad hoc development” … and “uncertain and subject to change”. Parts of the new API have changed a few times. And unlike the Groovy API, there aren’t a hundred developers here in the Community using it and sharing code and helping each other debug, etc…

I don’t know of a single “new API SmartApp” developed and shared by a Community Member.

Thanks for the compliments on ActionTiles. Be sure to give it a try anytime!

1 Like