A survey on SmartThings App Installation from University of Michigan

We are researchers at the University of Michigan. We are conducting a survey on the SmartThings app installation experience. If you qualify and complete the survey, you will receive a $10 Amazon Gift Card over email.

----UPDATE: 12 Nov 2015----
We received a lot of great responses. Thank you for your participation! The survey is now closed.

Details:
We will perform a phone screen of potential participants. If you are a U.S. resident, own a SmartThings hub and have not participated in previous UMich surveys related to SmartThings in the past 6 months, please send an email to smartthingsresearch@umich.edu with the subject line “SmartThings App Survey” and a phone number plus a set of convenient times in the next 2 days when we can have a 2 minute conversation. We will ask you three quick questions to determine if you qualify for the survey. If you qualify, we will send you a 15-question online survey to be completed in 2 days. Those invited to do a 15-question survey will receive the $10 Amazon gift card after completing the survey (survey should be completed within 2 days of being invited).

Please note that the survey itself generally takes no more than 5 to 8 minutes.

Just being honest. Too many hoops for $10.

Phone screening and just involving a phone period is an instant TLDR from me. Probably won’t get people who have better things to do with their time, many of which are more heavily involved in the platform.

4 Likes

To clarify, the survey takes 5 minutes. The phone call takes 2 minutes. Totally, 7 minutes for a definite $10 and you help us with research for which we are always grateful!

Do participants get to see the full results of the Survey?
If so, when?

To me, personally, this is worth more than the $10 Amazon gift card (which I can earn by just doing a lot of searches on Bing.com with their Rewards program…).

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes. The survey results are being compiled for a submission to a conference whose deadline is Nov 13th. Once the paper is accepted (in 2 months hopefully), I will share the link to the PDF. Our paper contains some other analysis about SmartThings too, that I hope would benefit the SmartThings community and the larger home automation community as well.

1 Like

Pardon the interrogation (but you started ;-)) … May I ask which conference?

you gonna have to pay him $10 now.

1 Like

Yup, perhaps so…!

Actually, @earlenceferns sent me a quick PM with the reasonable explanation that it is best for survey participants to not know too much about the purpose and target audience for the study as this can introduce biases that contaminate the results.

As University researchers their data collection has to be as scientific as possible, so this makes sense.

And this definitely keeps me very interested in eventually finding out what their research is focused on and what they learned! Gawd knows I’ve been looking for some in-dept reviews and research as per my Topic referenced below:

1 Like

Kyle… What did you spend the 10$ on? :wink: how many beer does that buy on the other side of the pond?

1 Like

I didnt “win” however i hoped to congratulate those who did, but it was MI5 James Bond top secret :wink: haha

Over here $10 is £6.55 which will JUSTTTTT about get you about 2 beers :wink: the UK isnt so cheap haha

Come over to NY, my friend! We are so going to mess you up! I so envy your infectitious laugh all the time. Keep it up, brother! We all need it here! I so want to beat you in one day cricket! :wink:

2 Likes

I plan to get out to the US in early 2016 and will be making sire to drop by a few citys for a beer with everyone :smiley:

4 Likes

----UPDATE: 30 Oct 2015----
We received some very helpful responses. We have decided to keep the survey open over the weekend. All those still interested in helping us out are very welcome!

1 Like

UPDATE, 3 Nov 2015
We received some very helpful responses. We have 4 more gift cards in our budget. Anyone still interested in lending us a hand?

UPDATE: This was posted a while ago. I still have 1 more gift card to give away. I would like to fully utilize my budget and I thought I could get some more people to help us in our survey. Please see instructions below.

We are researchers at the University of Michigan. We are conducting a survey on the SmartThings app installation experience. If you qualify and complete the survey, you will receive a $10 Amazon Gift Card over email.

Details:
We will perform a phone screen of potential participants. If you are a U.S. resident, own a SmartThings hub and have not participated in previous UMich surveys related to SmartThings in the past 6 months, please send an email to smartthingsresearch@umich.edu with the subject line “SmartThings App Survey” and a phone number plus a set of convenient times in the next 2 days when we can have a 2 minute conversation. We will ask you three quick questions to determine if you qualify for the survey. If you qualify, we will send you a 15-question online survey to be completed in 2 days. Those invited to do a 15-question survey will receive the $10 Amazon gift card after completing the survey (survey should be completed within 2 days of being invited).

Please note that the survey itself generally takes no more than 5 to 8 minutes.

Here is a link with additional information:

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~earlence/iotsurvey/index.html

Update, Now I have 1 more gift card.

-Earlence

----UPDATE: 12 Nov 2015----
We received a lot of great responses. Thank you for your participation! The survey is now closed.

2 Likes