A simple way to get alerts when your doorbell is rung

Hi @johnconstantelo, I have been using your code for a while now and it has run great! Thanks for all the updates. Quick question, I just updated the code, but for some reason I am not getting a notification anymore. It used to work fine on the previous version. When I run a magnet on the sensor I dont seem to see the notification coming either. I dont see the status change on the device either. Not sure if i broke something or need to do something different. Or perhaps this is an ST issue
(there have been ghosts in the machine recently). Thanks!!

To be more specific I used to use the “notify me when” smart app. Maybe that one does not work anymore for this?

OK seemed I had a malfunctioning sensor
I just replaced it. I changed device type. Still waiting for door bell text to show up. Hopefully it will in a couple of hours
maybe it needs to flush through the servers?? Wierd

I’m using my most current code (obviously), and a SHM rule. Works every time. The “notify me when” app is a good app, but I’ve been finding I don’t need any more.

@johnconstantelo,
Thanks for helping me with this. Just wanted to let you know that the code does not work for me. Here is what I did. I installed a new open/close sensor. I verified it is working “as an open close sensor”, I setup the notification in SHM. When I ring the door bell, I get notified. I also adjusted the text to say “door bell”. It works.

However when I change device type to my smart sense door bell sensor per the device handler using your code, I just see ding dong status and no notifications at all. I also don’t get any text on when the last time the doorbell was rung. I tried to delete, re install change things around a couple of times (order of installing smart app etc). I even gave the system 2 hrs to update. Still no notification. When I re-edited the device back to zwave open/close and all texts notifications are working again. Just thought I would let you know if u were updating the code. Only thing I can think of is a ST issue or maybe I am using incompatible sensor hardware. I am using the following

I am assuming it should be compatible, wonder whats going on. Again, thanks for all the help and writing all this code!!

Are you using the code from post 99 or post 87?

@johnconstantelo,

Code 99 (lol). Actually with code 87 I was getting the notifications, but the ding dong went to “ding” on the device page. Also the text on when the last bell rang was not showing up in the device page. It seemed to be working ok. Now with 99 I get the “ding dong” but main text is blank and no notification. Sorry if I am bothering u, just love this code and am trying to get it to work. Maybe I should retry 87?

For me it seems as though with the new device type the system is unable to see a change in status from open to closed?

You’re using the wrong code.

Code in post 99 is for a zigbee SmartSense device.

Code in post 87 is for the zwave Ecolink/Monoprice/GoControl device. That post was a reply to your question about a broken link. Please use this code and you’ll be in great shape.

1 Like

@johnconstantelo,
Appreciate the help! Will try today!

1 Like

@johnconstantelo Thanks so much for clarifying the difference. works like a charm now!

1 Like

Follow-up on my July 2015 post on Nexia DB100z door bell sensor: There appears to be a ST device handler available to make use of it simple – see Darwin’s post here:

I used an iris new generation door sensor. I simply took it out of its case, and it fit perfectly.

Now to find and load the app for it.

EDIT: I kept it simple. Notify Me When does just fine. My android control center tablet, using Tasker and AutoNotification, is saying “someone is at the door” thru the bluetooth speaker. And the strobe in my basement studio is flashing, and the front door light is turning on (the lights via Sharptools).

@Crazy_Goat

Can you please share which camera app you used to capture the image? I have a Samsung HD pro but I am not able to configure it to send me a snapshot through IFTTT . Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Everyone,

Just found this self enclosed zigbee or z-wave doorbell attachment from SAGE Home Automation/Security systems.

SAGE Doorbell Sensor

This thing attaches to the Doorbell 3 leed wires:

Here is the install video:
Sage Doorbell

Tell me what you think and if we can use custom or existing device handler.

2 Likes

Where did you read zigbee and z-wave integration? It’d be unusual for a sensor like this to be able to do both at the same time.

I have read up on SAGE and am guessing that this thing is only z-wave. I would buy this thing now if there was a device handler for this unit to use. Scratch that, I am interested if this is a viable replacement for Smart things as it integrates the Call your local 911 feature from your app and it works from the start with your TV too.

Hughes is very clear that the only things that work with the Sage hub are sage branded devices. That doesn’t mean that a Zigbee device from Sage wouldn’t pair with a SmartThings hub
it might. But it does mean that nothing else you have that’s not from Sage is going to pair with their hub if you switch.

http://www.sagebyhughes.com/Support/Support%20Articles/Articles/KB-1078.aspx

1 Like

Thanks for that. I would like this alternative when and if the become more inclusive. I don’t want to pull off my ST Multi from the doors and windows. But would be great as their hub connects to your TV and gives you Notifications /Interaction.
Also, this door bell attachment I’ll buy and than try the existing door bell handlers on ST.
Just ordered the SAGE Doorbell:

Yet another vendor so arrogant as to believe customers should never have the option to expand beyond the company’s limited offerings and vision.

No doubt a series of management meetings took place where all the stakeholders were firmly in agreement. No costs for 3rd party support! More profits because we can buy cheap chinese gizmos and private label them! We can wrap it up with an advertising message about how it’s all for the customer’s well-being and safety of their children. (cue “THINK OF THE CHILDREEEEEEN!” shrill cries

Blech. No thanks,

4 Likes

The sage hub has multiple radios in it including Zwave and zigbee as well as Bluetooth. It also has future planned upgrades for 6Lowpan and Thread. However that is in their hub. I am not sure what the devices themselves are using. I suspect it is probably Bluetooth locally to the hub.