A Message from Alex on Platform Improvements and Our Plan Forward

Let’s be realistic guys, do you think that ST does this out of the kindness of their hearts? Do you think they do this because they make money on the hardware? They obviously could reduce a tremendous amount of load on the servers by making it local, but that defeats the whole purpose. They want your data, they want to know what you do in your house, where you walk, what you click, what your thermostat is set to and what vents are open. That infomation has to flow back to their servers so they can record it. They will sell this information to whoever will buy it, to better target you with ads. This entire thing is so they can know stuff about you, and sell it to someone that wants to sell you other stuff. Do people really not get that?

3 Likes

There’s no reason you couldn’t still process everything on the hub and write to a log file that gets sent back to the cloud for whatever level of data mining they want to do, if that’s the end goal. The two operations don’t have to be synchronous.

6 Likes

Yes, it’s been discussed hundreds of times. This is not new news.

1 Like

Which ‘shouldnt’ have to happen…Not many people would be willing to perform a complete wipe and load of their rules, routines, etc, in the event it ‘may’ fix it temporarily.

Truth. And to be clear, the only thing I completely wiped was SHM setup.

I removed it before the announcement of the “fix” and readded it after, nothing (for the better) changed.

Guess I re-remove it and wait for the next “fix”.

I get it, and I’m perfectly fine with it. Advertising is a part of our consumer lives. And the consumer life IS our life.

Since I’m going to be setting advertisements they might as well be for stuff I’m interested in and not drivel.

Totally agree, but the current state of things is demonstrative of priorities. The priority is getting the data, making sure its collected, making sure it can be sold. The secondary is performance and reliability. If those things were reversed, they would do exactly what you suggest. It makes too much sense. Local processing takes the ST servers out of the loop, regardless of asynchronous logging after the fact. Suddenly you don’t need the ST servers. That is antithetical to the business model. It’s why they dangled local processing and then don’t deliver. They want to sell more hubs too, so they told us we would get local processing and a conversion tool. Both vaporware. ST is doing everything for their best interest, as it should be, the problem is they aren’t delivering on the things that we expect from the platform, this puts their model at risk, if we don’t use it, they can’t sell our data. Google is a great analog, they know everything about you, and you don’t care because you are getting a solid return for your data. ST is expecting your information and not delivering. Let’s face it, if there were viable alternatives, we would all be gone, period.

2 Likes

We should chat :slight_smile:

1 Like

No go for me. Oh well. Support just says it’s a known issue, but still makes SHM as useless as before the fix. At least my state updated before. @slagle @jody.albritton

Cloud Platform Engineer here, but don’t live anywhere near your locations :wink:

We have many more things we are planning to make things better on this front. We’ll keep you updated as we go.

When are you guys adding the cellular backup option? I’ve the hub v2 and as I understand, it’s expandable (either via bluetooth or USB). Relying just on cord (cable or phone line) is not an effective security measure which can be cut by a pair of pliers outside of most houses. I think this should be the #2 priority, the #1 being fixing stability and reliability issues.

1 Like

@alex
2 things I am interested in progress on that seem to be vaporware but were promised:
A cutover utility from Hub v1 to Hub v2. I have had hub v2 siting in a box for quite awhile now as it was stated that a cutover tool would be developed. (if this is no longer the case just let me know)

Also Bluetooth capability on the v2 hub. What happened here? This was the main reason that I bought hub v2 and as far as I can tell the term vaporware truly applies. Also this is the other reason that I haven’t cutover. The main reason for buying the hub doesn’t even exist!!!

Thanks,

Justin

3 Likes

I bought it for the “local processing”…

1 Like

And one more issue that I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread: since about the time when ST added 50% to their capacity, it slowed down drastically for me.

Instead of nearly immediate response, it now takes 10-15 seconds for lights to turn on or off, making ST basically useless.

I may have to go back to X-10 for lighting control. Functionally it’s awful, but at least it works, unlike smartthings.

I know you’ve probably read it countless times, email support and see if they can help troubleshoot if you have not done so already. Device response on my side still works like I before (fast but not freaky fast ;)), it may not be instant but not 10-15 to seconds.

This sounds like a mesh issue. Are these devices zwave or zigbee? Every time this has happened to me it’s been a device in a death spiral. If zwave, look for “Err 113: Not reporting switch status” in your hub’s regular event log. That means a device is freaking out. Try a zwave repair to find it.

Honestly, I’m really surprised how fast my switches (GE) have been recently. Like @eibyer, they’re fast, but not Jimmy John’s fast.

2 Likes

I too get slow down every so often… things would take forever to turn on/off. I’ve recently discovered that my USNAP Zwave thermostat (CT30) is the problem. Whenever I get the slow down, I would go and pull the USNAP module out and re-insert it. After that, the network is responsive again. So it seems to me you might have a mesh issue with a device that could be not responding and thus messing up the mesh.

I have always had good response time on my GE switches as well. I have about 20 switches throughout the house to turn lights on/off.