A few weeks ago I sent a letter off to Dan Lieberman, that was basically venting my frustrations with the stability of the platform. I brought up the snail pace I feel the Android app is maturing, the excessive latency times that were coming around almost every day (these seem to have improved since then), and the inaccuracy of the multi sensor temperature sensors. I went on to say that these were all problems I was willing to give a lot of leniency to as a customer during the beginning because it was a kickstarter, and I really did expect to be a beta tester. But, now they are selling the product at retail and I feel it should be held to a higher, production level standard. I also feel that until these issues are resolved I can’t recommend the platform to my friends or family as I feel it would leave a sour taste in their mouth for home automation in general.
Surprisingly within hours I received an email from Alex Hawkinson saying Dan had forwarded him my email, and would very much like to meet with me as soon as possible with some members of his team. A week or two later we met, and the majority of the conversation was about the latency issues…which they are very much aware of. But, we already knew that, as they have posted here on the forums about it. But, they never really explained they knew how to fix it, or were doing anything about it. That is what really put me at ease about this conversation. They walked me through the road map on converting to a system that could handle the transactions they were pushing. I am a Systems Engineer by trade. I work for a large financial company and am one of the lead Engineers over our 3,500 server environment. I did not at all get the impression they were just pushing buttons to see if it fixed anything; they had a good understanding of the issue, and how to fix it.
The Android app they pretty much admitted they messed up on, but they are doing their best to fast track it. I am a little fuzzy on what their excuses were on this…so I am not going to paraphrase it at the risk of getting something wrong. I do remember going way with the impression that they were expecting it to see some big improvements soon though.
My Multi Sensors are usually off by as much as 10 degrees in either direction. They noticed I had earlier pre-production models, and exchanged them for me. I haven’t noticed any real improvement with the new ones, but have noticed they are all usually the same amount off, which sounds like a calibration issue. They are also sometimes dead on though, so it’s a confusing problem.
As another attempt to troubleshoot my latency issues from all possible angles, Tyler, who I believe is head of support (I’m sorry, if I got that wrong) offered to stay up late that night and manually optimize my Z-wave mesh network. Unfortunately, I haven’t noticed any real improvements from that. I still have occasions where lights take 5-10 seconds to turn on after motion is detected, or my front door misses a command to unlock when presence is detected. I still think these issues are just cloud latency issues, which they seem to be on track to resolve.
This meeting was 2-3 weeks ago, so I’m a little fuzzy on some of the details. I meant to post sooner, but the forum decided to block my IP and I had been too busy to request it be whitelisted
Please feel free to ask any questions on the exchange,