$89 Connected Smart Lock

Kickstarter for “Open Sesame” universal connected doorlock has an early backer cost of $89. It’s bluetooth to a wifi bridge (bridge costs extra), so I’m not sure if it will be compatible with ST. Does anyone know if there are bluetooth to zigbee/z-wave bridges? I looked and couldn’t find any that were actually on sale (only spec sheets and announcements).

I’m still on the fence about having a connected lock at all, but for under $100 I wouldn’t mind experimenting with non-critical locks like to my garage.

Nice idea, but another hub (wifi plug) ?
I am really tired of having so many hubs - ST, hue, sonos etc …

I am not sure if this lock can communicate with ST 2.0 hub over bluetooth. Then it make attractive.

Just starting their kickstarter campaign. See discussion of the Sesame in the following topic. Personally, I don’t think it will be viable for engineering reasons, as discussed there:

Tell me about it. I have 7 hubs now (ST, Hue, 3 Harmony’s, Somfy MyLink coming today in mail and SimpliSafe). Thank god Sonos allows us to scrap the bridge, otherwise I would have 8! Also, one of the reasons I scrapped the Kevo was I was not buying another hub to control my locks.

Nice idea, but another hub (wifi plug) ?
I am really tired of having so many hubs - ST, hue, sonos etc …

I’ve gone out of my way to avoid extra hubs, so I’m with you on that.

Just starting their kickstarter campaign. See discussion of the Sesame in the following topic. Personally, I don’t think it will be viable for engineering reasons, as discussed there:

This has been my biggest concern with smart locks in general; it doesn’t seem like any of them will be as durable as their ‘dumb’ counterparts. Trying to integrate knock sensors or face recognition seems like a huge drain on battery life and will have tons of quirks.

On more than a couple occasions I’ve had a light bulb not turn on/off after a Hello Home phrase, but everything in the activity log and Things view shows that it completed just fine. That happening even once with a door lock would be a deal breaker for me.

This is why I find the Schlage and Kwikset locks the best for smarthomes. They are exactly like their counterparts with the zWave functionality built in. I absolutely hated the Kevo as it was so slow to lock and unlock, didn’t work 100% of the time and didn’t have HA integration.