$49 All-New Echo Dot (2nd Generation) Pre-Order live - Oct 20th release

Or you just want to be able to control your smart home devices easily across the house. I have an Echo in the kitchen right now that can be heard from a few rooms (open plan) but I want a Dot in my office, my wife’s office, game room, master bedroom and bathroom, and garage. Plus, when the Sonos integration comes in 2017 hopefully I’ll have full voice control of my music too.

2 Likes

In two weeks (Sept 28) you can get a WHITE full sized Echo too.

I have been too busy reading about the dot I missed the big guy: Amazon.com

I don’t see anything different other than the color. But this would look better in my kitchen than the black one I have there. Hmm :confused:

I have an Echo and several Sonos devices. Right now, the only Alexa voice command integration I have with my whole home Sonos system is the ability to control the Sonos playback using the Echo Sonos App. I can choose to play Amazon Prime music directly from the Echo, but it is not synchronized with the whole house Sonos nor can the Echo see my extensive music library on the NAS or Plex servers. I am hoping that synchronized playback with Sonos and Echo or Dots will come in 2017.

I am skeptical about adding additional little “Amazon Dots” to my household at this point since the Sonos systems do not allow a native bluetooth connection or an line in “always on” output for the Dot to drive music from a voice command of “Play a song from Prime Music” command. I would still have to manually command the Sonos to play music from the line in of a Dot.

What I do like is that I would be able to control playback of my Sonos system using Alexa voice commands from anywhere in the house that I have a Dot installed, but that is a high price to pay ($300 for 6) just to have Alexa available to control my Sonos when I can do so from an iPhone/ipad/laptop…

I do like the idea of having Alexa available in all the rooms in our house, as the Alexa News Flash, Weather and Stock updates, Harmony Remote integration, SmartThings, Ecobee thermostat integration is amazing. For me, I will delay purchase of the less expensive Dot until the native Echo & Sonos integration is delivered and working as expected.

I’m going to replace my black dot in the car with a white one…maybe it won’t get so hot in the sun. :wink:

1 Like

In the car? Why would you need/want one in the car? You have it linked to your phone wi-fi?

1 Like

It pairs with the bluetooth in the car, I can do anything with home automation through it, just like at home. Ask it to turn on the drive lights, open the garage door, lock/unlock the front door…etc. It can read my audible books to me…and it runs my hazmat skill :wink: I wrote a skill to tell me what’s in tankers and trucks by the 4 digit NA/UN numbers. (I’m curious ok?) I was trying to figure out how to use Amazon’s dynamodb in a skill. I have a cheap virgin mobile hotspot in my car for internet access. So basically it’s a FUN toy to have in the car…and I don’t have to use my cell screen while driving.

7 Likes

Do you have any stats on the amount of traffic generated by the Echo per week or month? I’ve been thinking about adding one to my car as well but would like to get a feel for the data usage.

1 Like

buy now think later :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Totally depends on what you use it for…if you’re streaming audio books it will definitely use a couple gig of data per month depending on how long you “live” in the car. When I just use it for asking questions, home automation or playing around, it uses very little.

Already done. :wink:

2 Likes

Tempted, tempted, tempted, with 3 Echoes ( 2 with remotes), 3 Dots and a Tap, can really think of anywhere ( other than the cars) that I could put one.

Yep, I got just one since we have 2 Echo and 1 first gen Dot. Was thinking, yeah, but that 6 pack is a cool deal. But where the heck could I find places for 5 more of them?!?!?!?!

With our open floor plan the Echo’s and Dot do have too much overlap so great to hear about the software upgrade, the only “dead” spots will be picked up my this new one.

But that is a cool deal.

:smile:

1 Like

existing echo dot owners get $10 off with alexa shopping for the new dots FYI

I didn’t see that, is that when voice ordered through a Dot or Echo ? I did notice when discussing the new Dot with wife (to test WAF) , Dot in Kitchen kept asking if I wanted to order a new one.

email from Amazon just now

Something just for you
As a customer who purchased the previous–generation Echo Dot, you can get a $10 Alexa Shopping credit when you order the All-New Echo Dot using Alexa Shopping. Order today through October 20 and a $10 Alexa Shopping credit will be applied to your account within one week after your new Echo Dot has shipped.

So yes only if ordered through Alexa. Just like the prior Echo release and Prime day deals

How does Echo Dot compare to Fire Stick? I know basically Fire Stick additionally has TV control. I am wondering, particularly ignoring TV control, how do they compare?

IIRC last time echo support was so wonderful they credited you by contacting them

Apples and oranges.
Dot is a voice controlled WiFi cloud ( and bluetooth )speaker , Firestick stick is a video streaming stick. IF you buy the separate voice remote, you can use the Alexa app on a Firestick, BUT only when you are actually using it. You can’t just talk to your TV and have it control your house, order more crap you don’t need or hail an Uber, order a pizza.
If I am watching live TV or something on DVR, I can’t just pick up FireTV remote and use Alexa, I need to stop and change inputs to activate FireTV, then use the FireTv remote to access Alexa, the exit out of FireTv and go back to live programming or whatever I was doing before. If I am watching Amazon Prime , or other select apps on Fire TV, then I can just pick up the remote and give commands to Alexa.

2 Likes