$42 kindle fires

The website I cite also warned about 1Mobile updates and notifications and suggested turning them off. Seems like that is the default now because I went into setup and it was already off.

Looks like we need Emparador Motion Detector, but it isn’t listed as an Amazon or 1Mobile app.

1 Like

The free version is on 1mobile, not sure what the restrictions are for free vs $3 version

http://www.1mobile.com/motion-detector-840000.html

1 Like

The motion detector seems to work for the most part. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work in the dark, but I should have realized that.

If you can get Sharptools on your Fire you could use it with Tasker to turn your tablet on when a motion sensor connected to ST senses motion.

3 Likes

Loaded SharpTools and it said I needed Google Play Services when attempting to subscribe to a motion event. I loaded that through 1Mobile and now when attempting to subscribe get the following:

"Google Play services

Google Play services, which some of your applications rely on, is not supported by your device. Please contact the manufacturer for assistance."

You will need to side load the APK

I didn’t think Tasker was officially posted to the Amazon App Store? Can you post a link to the version you got?

As it seems you guys have already figured out, SharpTools (like Tasker) relies on Google Play Services for some of it’s features. Specifically, SharpTools relies on Google Play Services for the push event capabilities that are used with subscriptions and for the In-App-Purchases (eg. Tasker Unlock).

If you just want to use the dashboard/control features of SharpTools, then you should be able to sideload it and use those features without any problem.

As far as I can remember, all of the other Tasker integrations do not depend on Google Play Services. If one of you already has Tasker and SharpTools installed on your tablet, I would be curious how plugins like ‘A Thing’, ‘A Mode’, and ‘A Phrase’ (Routines), ‘Thing: Get Attribute’, and ‘Mode: Get Current’ work – assuming it lets you start the 7 day trial.

Not sure if you were replying to the comment about Google Play Services, but it does seem like there’s a thread on XDA about sideloading the Google Play store (and Google Play Service) on the Amazon Fire:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122

If you can get Google Play Services loaded and working (using the method in the XDA thread), then that should satisfy SharpTools’ dependencies.

Looks like I sideloaded version 4.7u3 from 1Mobile and you are correct it is NOT in the Amazon App Store…

Has anyone tried popping off the Fire tablet case? I noticed it gave some when squeezed. So I popped it open and was able to put the magnets under the cover. Works great.

If anyone else wants to try it I suggest positioning the tablet up side down because the magnets can be better positioned over the battery. It looks cleaner with the controls less visible at the bottom.

I’m tempted to put the Qi receiver under the case but it would require cutting it open around the USB port a bit.

Don’t recommend it, as the distance from transmitter should be about 5mm to 10mm.

@ beckwith-
I also opened the case and placed the magnets inside, worked great. My trouble is heat. I added a iDOO Universal Micro USB Qi Wireless Charging Receiver on the outside of Fire case and a Yootech Qi Wireless Charging Pad removed from its shell and mounted (hot glue on edges) to the back of a dual gang cover plugged into a 2100mA USB inside the wall. The iDOO pad gets much hotter than I am comfortable leaving on the wall 24/7. If it were inside the Fire case, I would think it would be a thermal nightmare. Is heat an issue with other similar builds?

3 Likes

Has anyone tried a Kindle fire with IBeacons? Or Eddystone? I’m unclear if they can work as receiving stations.

I tried four different chargers before settling on this one which is the smallest and gives off the least amount of heat:

I was also able to fit it into a single gang box.

1 Like

Are you using the Digiyes receiver with this charger? If so I will order the pair now :wink:

Yes, this is what I used:

The results are quite impressive and relatively affordable.

If anyone else attempts this, I suggest trying to figure out a way to position the magnets so it can be oriented in both landscape or portrait mode. I didn’t think about this till later.

1 Like

From our previous conversation, I am interested in this as well and trying to find any info online. Let me know if you find anything.

Point me where to look and I’ll check it out.

I bought two six pack Fires for a different purpose. However, this one went so well I’m thinking about one in each room. If IBeacons makes it more compelling, more the merrier.

1 Like

@Kristopher would know what to look for, maybe he can chime in.