4 Smart bulbs in one fixture - control as one?

I have a kitchen light that has 4 bulbs in it. Unfortunately, it’s switch is a 3-way double paddle deal (two toggles for two lights contained in one single-gang switch) that I doubt I could ever find in a z-wave switch so I can’t Smarten up this light using a switch like I’ve done with the rest in my home. So I bought 4 Cree Connected bulbs and have them paired up with ST.

But - I want these to act as a single light. On, Off, Dim, all as one always. Can I do this? Group them into one “Thing” in the menu?

Thanks.

See the how to article in the community – created wiki. :sunglasses::bulb::bulb::bulb::bulb:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Group_Lights_Together

There will definitely be switch options, and it’s good to consider them.

One small point of clarification: If the OP already has the bulbs, it’s quite easy to link them together using the official smartlights feature. :sunglasses: it’s just that discovering how to do this is not intuitive. The wiki article linked to above has the details on grouping.

1 Like

This is the switch - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-15-Amp-3-Way-AC-Combination-Switch-White-R52-05641-0WS/100143025

Double paddle (two lights in one gang switch) and 3-way (there’s a second wall switch the light fixture in question)

And I just bought the bulbs yesterday and am happy to return if there’s a switch solution, honestly.

1 Like

Also, the device description made sense to me. There is one switch of this type that community members have working well with SmartThings: the Leviton VRCS2. Two toggles in a single gang space. These are popular for bathrooms where one toggle is for the lights and one is for a simple exhaust fan.

That one is available in the US. I believe there’s something similar from Schneider for the UK that would combine with a dual micro relay, but I don’t know that one offhand. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

In the US (@anon36505037 is in the UK, which is why I keep specifying) Another option would be the Homeseer switch. This looks just like a regular rocker, but it allows for single tap, double tap, and triple tap for both on and for off. These are popular for zone lighting, such as single tap for the entire room, double tap for one zone and triple tap for a different zone.

The problem is that you have to remember the zone patterns, and guests can get confused. That’s why most people use the single tap for the entire room, so guests will find it simple.

All of the Leviton zwave switches use virtual three ways. So you can use any model you like for the auxiliary switch, including one from a different brand, as long as it is seen as an independent device by SmartThings. The auxiliary communicates to the hub and the hub communicates to the master. So the auxiliary is not a load control switch.

I hope the OP will forgive this tangent, but just for completeness, here is a UK Z wave dual load switch, two momentary buttons in one gang box. Not available in the US, but just in case any of our other UK members stumble on this thread:

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-mco-touch-panel-switch-two-load

That is an amazing find! This is why I love forums. Thank you! The only thing is… it doesn’t seem to support a 3-way switch :(. So close! I wonder if I could just wire this in as a 2-way and cap off the traveler at the other switch or something to solve this problem. Then I could put a scene controller switch that isn’t connected to the load in the 2nd location to still have access to the light at that location but without true 3-way wiring. I’m not an electrician but this seems simple enough in my head.

It supports three-way, but only a virtual three-way as I mentioned. You don’t run physical traveler wires for most Zwave auxiliary switches. Instead, the switches communicate wirelessly. The auxiliary essentially just becomes a remote control to the master switch, so you only need the master to control the load.