3d printer - replicator?

(kevin) #1

Ok. A far fetched one here… what about voice activation “print coffee mug”, 3d printer upstairs is connected via LAN (and SMS), to call item from library and print…

Nice idea?

Yeah, I’m still waiting for a voice activated home automation system that will safely cut my toenails. :wink:. (I’m serious. Just not optimistic.)

Anyway…

This mixes multiple topics.

First, SmartThings has very little built in voice command, but there are multiple add on options different people are using. You’ll find that discussion in the following topic:

Second, as far as ST integration with a 3D printer, there are some community members that have done it, but just at the turn on/turn off level. No pattern selection that I know of.

All device integrations work pretty much the same:

1. can it be powered on/off just by unplugging it without damaging the device? In that case you can probably use a smart plug. (Whether it’s safe to have it run unattended is a separate question.)

Two) is it a certified Z Wave device? If so, are you interested in using only the basic command set? If yes, it will probably work fine with SmartThings. If it’s a certified Z wave device, but you want to use features other than the basic command set, it may work or it may not, you have to do some more research, and you may need a custom device handler.

Three) is it A zigbee device certified for the home automation 1.2 profile? If so, there’s a decent chance of getting it to work with SmartThings. This is not necessarily true for other zigbee profiles, including “building automation” and “smart energy.” Or for home automation devices using a custom encryption layer.

1. is it controllable over the Internet, and if so does it have an open API? This would be the category that most 3-D printers would fall into. If both of those are true, there’s a good chance it can be made to work with SmartThings, at least to some extent, although it will definitely require some custom code. And sometimes there are security features which prevent smartthings from taking control of the device even if there is an open API.

2. does it require a local websocket connection, or a direct communication protocol other than zwave, zigbee, or IP addressing? (Including bluetooth, infrared, 433, etc). If so, you have to start looking at bridge devices and things can get really complicated.

So that’s why the specific model matters. Some integrations are possible, some are impossible, and some are possible but take a lot of work and additional hardware pieces.

(kevin) #3

i love this topic, however wild it might be…
you could instruct the gcode file to be in one of several locations through code.
As repetitor has source code over WAN, LAN shouldnt be a problem,.

Sounds like a pipe dream, but its already possible to send a design directly to another 3d printer - abeit without the interaction needed to set it going :slight_smile:

(kevin) #4

btw. your toe nail cutter is a possibility. instructable have a shape to hold you toe in place… haha…
and maybe a blood bag close by?

(Darin) #5

Hmm…

1. Echo -> Turns on Switch (turns on pc)
  2. PC on bootup -> runs powershell command
  3. Powershell places file into printer queue.
  4. Printer prints.

All speculation :smile: I have no idea if this would work.