3 way switch CONFUSION

I have a three way switch in my kitchen, black screw and two bronze screws and a green ground . There is only one switch, its so confusing. I installed a new switch yesterday after buying this house and the light in the kitchen still isn’t working. (didn’t work before I replaced it, why I replaced it). I have power up at the light but it seems no ground at all. was wondering if there is something I am missing. I’ve installed three ways before, but usually there are two switches for the same fixture. this one only has the one switch. Any help would be appreciated. thank you!

Hmmmm… by definition, a three-way switch has two switches controlling one light fixture, so I’m not sure what you mean by a three way in this case.

More importantly, though, this forum is for people who are using the Samsung smartthings ™ home automation system, so all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. It doesn’t sound like you’re using home automation at all, but this is just a regular wiring question.

If that’s so, I suggest you try the houzz electrical wiring forum, and people there should be able to help you.

Good luck!

How was it wired?

If there were wires on both the bronze terminals as well as the black terminal then … think there must be a second switch somewhere…

1 Like

Switches made for multi-way use are, of course, physically different from standard single-pole switches. There are three wire terminals (ignoring ground) rather than two.

1 Like