3 Way dimming

@garrettb,
I am running into the same issue with the auxiliary switches simply causing the lights to strobe when I try to use them but the primary dimmer is working properly. You said in this post that you tried another dimmer and everything was solved, just confirming you mean the primary dimmer switch, not one of the auxiliary switches? I have another dimmer, but I am hesitant to open it as I’m thinking I might have to return everything and start over with a different product.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Chris

@Billb1981 It says it requires IRIS. Did you have it setup with Smartthings? and does it work with LED lights?

The GE 3-way z-wave switch kit (45638 - non dimmable) made for Iris and found at Lowes works with smartthings. Watch this video several times before starting, go get the necessary stuff before (extra white cable for neutrals, new face plates, screwdrivers, and cable strippers, and clippers) setting things up. Here is the video:

3 Likes

@chrisb You have been so helpful to others and I am wondering if you could potentially help me with my 3-way setup. I have posted in a DIY forum (link below) and they seem to be helpful, but I dont think they have experience with this particular GE Zwave setup. I am wondering if you would kindly be willing to be a second set of eyes on this and see if there is something I am missing. In the post below I have two pictures linked from imgur showing the top/bottom of the stairs and the different wiring setups. it appears I have a splitter at the light, great! Let me know if I can help explain anything and thanks in advance

I have a problem I’m trying to remedy.
I have an existing 3-way dimmer. Two aux switches, they are not dimmable - just toggles.

Everything is hooked up fine - when I changed out the existing 3-way switch a few years ago, I got a Lutron dimmer that was more aesthetic to my house fixup. It works with CFLs, though touchy, and really no problems I have with it.

Now I’m looking to upgrade to this Z-wave GE series… and bought a 12724 3-way dimmer. It works with CFLs which is a big selling point in my book. However, it says it requires Z-wave aux switches for it to work (I just want to be able to adjust the dimming without walking up / down stairs to the master dimmer). This was another selling point for the switch - you could dim with a smartphone app.

I can’t find aux dimmer switches THAT ARE DUPLEX-SIZED. I need to be able to replace the aux switches to work with the master 3-way dimmer I just bought or else - it’s going back. (see pic attached)

The reason I bought it to begin with was for: CFL dimming and smartphone control. These functionalities were not available 5 years ago. I didn’t know it required other Z-wave aux switches… I thought that was just a ploy for GE to get consumers to buy other products of theirs. I believed I could just use my existing aux switches with the new 3-way master dimmer. Can I do this???

Hey bud, I have a foyer light controlled by 2 3way switches. Can I use one 3way Zwave switch in one of the locations and not the other?

No, you need an aux dimmer. There are different models depending on switch (on/off) vs dimmer (on/off/level). The aux dimmer signals the main z-wave switch, which sends the event to ST.

1 Like

Hi, your video resulted very helpful. Maybe you could help me with this one. I habe a Enerwave relay ZWN RSM1 working within a 3way configuration. Can I do the same you did on this video with a standard 3way switch at the Aux part of the circuit (using just traveler and neutral)?

Any tips for a standard two way switch of how to wire it?