3 way dimmer switch lights turn off if > 80%

So this is strange, I have a 3way dimmer switch in the dining room and if I turn it on over 85%, the whole light turns off. Has anyone run into this or something similar before? Is this something that can be fixed?

What brand are you using for the 3 way? And what type of light do you have in the lighting unit?

I’m using the GE 3way dimmer kit. For the light fixture, I’m not sure. It’s a ceiling fan with light. I’ve set the app to turn the light on to only 81% which seems to work

Are you using the switch to control the ceiling fan as well? If so, that will eventually burn out the switch or the fan motor. Are you using cfl or LED lighting?

Also using the dimmer this way is likely to be your issue.

The switches are not controlling the fan, only the light. I’m using dimmable CFL’s…

Ok, good about just controlling the lights. May I suggest that if you have any of the old standard bulbs that you replace the lights in the fan with them for a test? I have heard that there are issues with the GE switch and CFL. I use LED’s and have no issue (well so far).

Well I just spent $30 on dimmable CFL’s, so I’ll look to LED’s when these burn out :smiley:

Thanks for your help!

Did it work for you at least?

As long as I keep it to 81% it works like a charm :slight_smile: