2019: Your favorite new Home Automation device/feature/automation installed this year? (No pre-release stuff, just what you’re actually using)

Hey @JDRoberts - thanks for the informal poll. I’m with you on the buttons. I picked up two packs so I have 4 buttons. We had a ton of fun playing echo games and now I use them for other routines.

Another fav device is my fire tablet that runs HousePanel flawlessly. These are great units once you get fully kiosk loaded on them.

4 Likes

Use their kit, or build your own? I already own actiontiles, but interesting view, clean look.

2 Likes

Using my own screen. I do pay for their Premium access to use custom layouts and loops. But yes, the clean look is unmatchable. However if you need to interact with your dash, then Actiontiles, Sharptools or HousePanel are the best.

5 Likes

Aw shucks. It’s awesome to have HousePanel named in the same sentence and class as ActionTiles and SharpTools. I have continued adding goodies and it remains donationware. This thread gave me the idea to add a link to common photo sites for rotating backgrounds. Might be an easy add yet a very cool feature.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Magic-Mirror lately. It allows awesome integration and custom css. It’s nice to have other things on the dashboard like my solar array stats, live cams, news tickers, on/off for widgets with schedules and more including iframes, voice activation with smart assistants etc. Plus it’s 100% free and open source. It’s a bit advanced though for some :grimacing: considering it’s run on a rasp pi. I haven’t found it difficult though at all, it’s actually a little tech fun. My two way mirror gets delivered this week but the whole mirror thing is not required in any way. I’ve been using it as a dashboard for my office and Chromecasts for idle TVs around the :house: for a few months now.

4 Likes

Back in Feb 2018 @cowboysdude did an integration of HousePanel into magic mirror. It was pretty cool. HO has evolved a lot since then but the concept will likely still apply. Here is the link to his demo. Various posts above that in the HP thread have relevant info too.

[RELEASE] HousePanel Dashboard for SmartThings and Hubitat

3 Likes

Yes i use action tiles in an iframe since it’s already configured for my locations for all my devices! Awesome, clearly I’m late the party on the magic mirror!

2 Likes

Yeah! I have an old iPad gen 1 that I’ve been using to display time and current weather, but there are very few AppStore apps that still run on iOS 5. Dakboard is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thanks so much for mentioning it! :+1:

2 Likes

I am getting a lot of good information from an Aquanta unit I just installed on my water heater. It doesn’t intergrate with Smartthings but it does with Nest and IFTTT. It is still in learning mode but puts the water heater in vacation mode when I leave the house and has been rock solid so far.

2 Likes

I was just going to pick up these echo buttons, but currently unavailable.

1 Like

DAKboard just added direct support for SmartThings (in beta). Check it out.

2 Likes

I guess they were really “inspired” by my design as they featured the API integration on their blog of what you can do with their new SmartThings integration. :slight_smile: Modes are not even supported in their integration LOL

3 Likes

Philips Hue - All my new products for outside use! Hue has never failed me for the 4-5 years I have had them (inside), solid shit (for me anyway).

Smartthings hub - Got available in my country for two months ago, I have been playing with that, and liking what I get for the 55-60 dollars I payed for it.

Google Nest Hub - I have it as a night clock with the ability to talk and interact with my home when in bed. “Ok google, start my Nvidia Shield” and my TV, soundbar, hue and Nvidia all starts up!

/Thekholm

4 Likes

Pics please!

2 Likes

My favourite “new” addition are the 5 button IKEA Remotes.
Technically they were not new, but they only received official integration very recently and hace since been working like a charm. For about 10 Euros i find them super practical and they are stylish too in my opinion.

2 Likes

Curious on your use cases with them… As someone who is prob going to book kea this weekend… :slight_smile:

Well… I just checked out DakBoard and I have to say that this looks like the killer dashboard app to end all killer dashboard apps now that they have ST integration support. Tagging @tgauchat to get his take on this. Have you guys at AT done a competitive assessment of this product? I am inspired to add external graphics but there is no way I can add all the other integrations they have. Wonder if anyone has a fully function ST dashboard integration up and running yet… and if so would love to hear your thoughts on how well it works.

2 Likes

No competition.

DAKboard is an entirely different market with very minimal SmartThings integration.

• It is view only: No interactive touch response / control.
  • It has a rather expensive per screen / per dashboard subscription fee - certainly compared ActionTiles’s low cost.
  • It is really targeted to business usage. Their home/family customers are just a small niche and not their main target market. Commercial customers are much more lucrative if properly targeted with their extensive investment.
2 Likes

Thanks Terry - good insights as I knew you would have. Their web page did give me some good ideas of things to add to HP to keep things exciting.

4 Likes

So far only very basic stuff. Basically immitating the original IKEA functionality. On/Off, Dimming and change light colour.

I am guessing there are a bunch of use cases though - unfortunately I am not much of a coder, so I am taking baby steps for now.

2 Likes