2018 - Current: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Z-wave+ Shades & Bali Autoview Z-wave+ Shades

For me close used to work, open never did. Not sure now though since I switched to Google.

Just create an Alexa voice routine and you can say anything you want. :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly. One might even create a routine called naked where the trigger phrase is ā€˜Alexa, Iā€™m nakedā€™ . And she answers from the calling echo, ā€œEeek! We need to save your neighbors!ā€ and then closes all the blinds in the houseā€¦ I mean Iā€™m not saying I DID that, but it would workā€¦

3 Likes

Neal,

would you please send me the most recent version of the firmware. I still have 11.1 on two blinds.

thanks!

If you purchased from us please email support. If not PM me, also the update is only for rollers.

Just a quick update.

Between the 24 - 26th, the SmartThings coupon is back to 41% off.

Question on the shades integration with SmartThings and Google Assistant. I asked Google about this and they couldnā€™t help ā€¦

So I have multiple shades in multiple rooms, all connected to Google Assistant. I can control the shades through Google Assistant (phone, home, mini, etc) one by one by using each shadeā€™s name (Turn on the family room top shades and family room bottom shades) or all the shades in the room by using the roomā€™s name (turn on the Family Room Shades). I am using the custom device handler linked in this thread.

Google Assistant added a room awareness feature about a year ago - by putting the google home in the same room as the lights (in the Home app), I can say ā€œturn on the lightsā€ and it will only turn on the lights in that room instead of the whole house. Thatā€™s an awesome feature and I want to use it with shades as well. When the feature first rolled out, it worked with both lights and shades and life was good. Unfortunately now, when I say turn on the shades it controls 5 random shades throughout the house, not only the shades in the same room as the Google Home.

So I want to see if anyone else has a similar setup and are you able to control the shades in the room without saying the room or shade name; I want to say"Turn on the shades". Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the way I named my shades or something else thatā€™s causing this behavior.

Whatā€™s interesting is that in the Home app, the device type for the shades is ā€œSwitchā€, same as my light switches, but google has all the lights grouped under a Lights group while she shades show up as individual switches. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a simple explanation, but if the device type is Switch on both the shades and wall switches (itā€™s light on smart bulbs), how does Google know to group the light switches and bulbs together?

Not entirely sure what might be causing it. Iā€™ve always used the room name as well so never noticed it.

Thx Neal. I realize this is a feature not used by many users. Going through the Google Assistant supported device types, I see blinds is one of them and it supports Open/Close actions(traits). Does anyone want to develop a new custom DTH that would allow Google to recognize the shades as blinds instead of a switch?

https://developers.google.com/assistant/smarthome/guides/blinds

1 Like

I have pretty much struck out trying to get the updated firmware via the retailer I purchased from. Could someone please help? I wish I had known about Zebra Blinds service before buying locally.

I have a Bali Autoview solar shade and itā€™s included in multiple scheduled routines and it seems to get ā€œstuckā€ a lot. Iā€™ll come home and find that it only closed or opened partially. Whether I use the remote or ST, it only opens or closes fully about half the time. To get it ā€œunstuckā€ I have to make it do the opposite of whatever it was when it got stuck, like make it go back up a bit if it was going down, then tell it to go down again. Any ideas? Is this something the updated firmware might fix?

I just realized that shades Iā€™ve removed/re-added recently have an additional supportedWindowShadeCommands state in the IDE ā€œCurrent Statesā€ section with open, close and pause as values. The shades I installed in late 2018 donā€™t have this state. If I change those old ones to the ā€œSprings Window Fashions Shadeā€ DTH and back to ā€œZ-Wave Shadeā€ I can get the new state.

I donā€™t see any differences in the Classic app after this change, but in the new app a ā€œPreset Positionā€ section shows up - this corresponds to the Custom Level setting. Tapping this button generates a ā€œA network or server error occurred. Try Again later.ā€ message :frowning:

Any thoughts on these observations? I wonder if updating the DTH this way will get Google to recognize these as shades and help with the room assignment issue.

Please PM me. Iā€™ve been inactive due to pneumonia and just recently got better so should be responding quicker again.

It is the issue that the firmware was supposed to fix.

Not too sure TBH. I need to switch to the new app and see. Iā€™ll report back when I get the chance.

1 Like

Hi @ZebraBlinds (Neal),

I currently have 4x springs window fashions roller shades with firmware version 11.02 - weā€™re experiencing an issue where the blinds randomly stall when the shades receive a z-wave command. Understand this is a known issue and per your direction on this thread, wanted to reach out to you to get the updated firmware files / instructions.

Thank you very much!

@cbachor Please PM me.

Updated promos. Of note, if anyone is looking at cellular shades till Feb 16th you can get up to 48% off due to the following:

Valentines coupon for 5% off $850 or more and Buy More Save More on cellular shades (up to 7% if you qualify) which works on the z-wave ones which both stack with the SmartThings coupon.

See details on this post: 2018 - Current: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Z-wave+ Shades & Bali Autoview Z-wave+ Shades

Hi,

I have 4x Spring Window Fashions Bali roller shades with firmware v11.02 (purchased from Home Depotā€™s website) powered by 2x battery wands each. 3 of my blinds work perfectly fine, but 1 of them runs out of battery every couple of weeks (the other ones work for 7-8 months). Originally I was planning on buying DC transformers but itā€™s been over 2 months since I got in contact with Home Depot/Spring Window Fashions and I still havenā€™t received them.

Will updating the firmware fix this issue?

Hi @alphast0rm,
I have about a dozen of these shades. Some of the shades had issues with battery drain. A few others had issues with firmware. These seem to be separate issues. The firmware upgrade resolved an issue where the shades would stall as they were raised or lowered as a group from ST. The battery life issues were solved through a hard reset in some cases and a RMA in other cases. Now that I have that all sorted out, I am quite happy with the system.

1 Like