2 lights in the back that turns on from 2 different switches

I have 2 lights in the back that turns on from 2 different switches, so my question is: IF I install to smart switches and name them the same, when I ask alexa to turn “backyard lights” on, would it turn on both since they have same name or how can I make this happen?

Distance from each other are far away (one is in the master room and the other in the kids room) so i trying to avoid a connection together since I believe it would be difficult… or am I wrong?

Thanks

I would give them different names (such as porch light & screen light) so you can control them separately. You can then create a group (outside lights) in Alexa which has the two individual lights.

1 Like

thanks @Zatman

So if I put them in a group, Am I able to turn that “group” in one shot?

thanks!

Yes. I have a GE Z-wave switch that controls 4 overhead LED flood (dumb) bulbs, an Osram smart color flood light,
and 2 Osram smart A10 LEDs in my family room. They have individual names (overhead, fireplace, reading, and top light) in SmartThings and are detected by Alexa. I then created a group called Family which will turn them all on & off.

You can also put a single device in a group if someone wants to use a different name. I added “that light” just for fun. “Hey Alexa, turn that light on” while pointing to it. :wink:

If you are using a SmartThings routine, you will still need to identify them individually.

1 Like

I added “that light” just for fun. “Hey Alexa, turn that light on” while pointing to it. :wink:

now that is funny, lol good trick. That’s good to know and I appreciate the quick reply. thanks so much!