Zwave Power Strip from AEON

TZ04 Z-wave In Wall Dual Relay Switch (power meter)
http://www.tkbhome.com/?cn-p-d-253.html

@jjhamb that makes sense, I usually skim more than I read. Now that you said that I saw it in the description.

Yes, please share. Thanks!

@mcourt88 What do you need? Do you need the device type or app or what exactly?

Let me know, and I’ll post it up here.

Morgan

@thrash99er Thanks Morgan, I think I have the device type from jialong (https://github.com/jialong/smartthings/blob/master/device-types/aeon_smartstrip) so I think the other aspect I need is the app. I’ve been through this post 3 times now but I’m looking through NOOB eyes and haven’t put the correct combo together for success so I may be missing something else. I’m not sure what to do with the binder either.

Thanks for paying it forward Morgan!

-Mike

@jjhamb what code did you use to control your dual relay insert? Can you control each relay (switch) separately?

Do you have an app already created that allows you to handle both switches?

Does this most recent device type work then? Looking to monitor power usage on a washer and dryer to write an app that notifies when they are done. I’d expect power draw to be a much more reliable form of determining on/off than vibration.

@bmmiller I use the device type all the time, and It is very reliable for during on an off the devices. It seems to report the usage rather well, but I haven’t really paid close attention to how accurate they are.

I can use it to tell when my kids are playing on the PS3 versus just watching TV though.

I ended up ordering this ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UZH7B8 ) instead which is a 1 outlet version of this. Since my application is for 2 single units, I’m never going to have anything else plugged into it and it’ll be buried behind them. Doing it with 2 single units saves me $30 and might be a slightly easier implementation.

I’m sure I’ll end up using something very close to this device type though.

If you get it working consistently let me know I’m very curious.

I’m having a little difficulty with it. It seems to probably be reporting energy usage in kWh correct but instantaneous wattage seems wrong.

I’m definitely not convinced anything is working yet though. This is just for the device type of course.

How quickly do you see “power” updates?

Hi @tail24 yes i can control individual relays. And get reports too.

@ChrisB Great work on this…but where do I find your binder program?

It should be in the IDE under the shared programs. But here it is as well:

/**
 *  AEON Power Strip Binding
 *  This app allows you to bind 4 Virtual On/Off Tiles to the 4 switchable outlets.
 *  Author: chrisb
 *  Date: 12/19/2013
 */

// Automatically generated. Make future change here.
definition(
    name: "AEON Power Strip Binder",
    namespace: "",
    author: "seateabee@gmail.com",
    description: "This app allows you to bind 4 Virtual On/Off Tiles to the 4 switchable outlets.",
    category: "Convenience",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience%402x.png")

preferences {
	section("Which AEON power strip is used?"){
		input "strip", "capability.Switch"
	}
	section("Select a Virtual Switch to bind to Outlet 1"){
		input "switch1", "capability.Switch"
	}
    section("Select a Virtual Switch to bind to Outlet 2"){
		input "switch2", "capability.Switch"
	}
    section("Select a Virtual Switch to bind to Outlet 3"){
		input "switch3", "capability.Switch"
	}
    section("Select a Virtual Switch to bind to Outlet 4"){
		input "switch4", "capability.Switch"
	}
}

def installed() {
	log.debug "Installed with settings: ${settings}"
	subscribe(switch1, "switch.on", switchOnOneHandler)
    subscribe(switch2, "switch.on", switchOnTwoHandler)
    subscribe(switch3, "switch.on", switchOnThreeHandler)
    subscribe(switch4, "switch.on", switchOnFourHandler)
    subscribe(switch1, "switch.off", switchOffOneHandler)
    subscribe(switch2, "switch.off", switchOffTwoHandler)
    subscribe(switch3, "switch.off", switchOffThreeHandler)
    subscribe(switch4, "switch.off", switchOffFourHandler)
}

def updated(settings) {
	log.debug "Updated with settings: ${settings}"
	unsubscribe()
	subscribe(switch1, "switch.on", switchOnOneHandler)
    subscribe(switch2, "switch.on", switchOnTwoHandler)
    subscribe(switch3, "switch.on", switchOnThreeHandler)
    subscribe(switch4, "switch.on", switchOnFourHandler)
    subscribe(switch1, "switch.off", switchOffOneHandler)
    subscribe(switch2, "switch.off", switchOffTwoHandler)
    subscribe(switch3, "switch.off", switchOffThreeHandler)
    subscribe(switch4, "switch.off", switchOffFourHandler)
}

def switchOnOneHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch on1"
	strip.on1()
}

def switchOnTwoHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch on2"
	strip.on2()
}

def switchOnThreeHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch on3"
	strip.on3()
}

def switchOnFourHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch on4"
	strip.on4()
}

def switchOffOneHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch off1"
	strip.off1()
}

def switchOffTwoHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch off2"
	strip.off2()
}

def switchOffThreeHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch off3"
	strip.off3()
}

def switchOffFourHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "switch off4"
	strip.off4()
}
3 Likes

I’m in business. Great Thanks!

Please share the 4 outlet version of this. Thank you!

@limbik Did you get the code from @chrisb ? He has all of the apps for that binding.

I’m interested too. Have a power strip on order, and plan to play with it over Thanksgiving.

It’s replacing one in the kitchen that has several appliances plugged into it (such as a toaster oven, etc). And has been the subject of several conversations with the wife that begin… … “Dear, did we turn off XXXX appliance before we left?” The power strip will hopefully let me a) see if anything was left on, b) show me which were left on (or not) by letting me see state of each socket, and c) Let me turn things off if needed.

I think others have updated the device type since I posted what I’m using so long ago. For me, it’s been working just fine for my needs so no need to update.

The problem with the device type I have, and I believe it is still with the newer device types, is that they use a custom function. It’s not “switch.on” and “switch.off” and therefore it doesn’t show up when you install and app that uses switch on/off types. Nor do you have any of the built abilities associated with it.

To solve that problem I wrote the binding SmartApp that @thrash99er is referring to above. Basically you create four virtual on/off tiles and then “bind” them to the four sockets on the power strip. When a virtual tile is turned on, the SmartApp turns on the appropriate socket on the strip. When the tile is turned off, it turns off the socket on the strip.

Now here is the very important part. READ THIS!! With the device type I’m using I never got the device to report properly in the mobile app. The device type never showed me the correct on/off state of the sockets on the power strip itself. For me this wasn’t an issue because: A.) The virtual tiles always showed the correct state*, and B.) The things I have plugged in aren’t mission critical things that would cause a major issue if they were left on or left off.

Keep reading… this part is still important! Notice the asterisk behind (A) above. As long as the Binder SmartApp is working properly, the virtual tiles will always show the correct on/off state. But if something happens and the App doesn’t fire like it should, the virtual tile may show off and the device is actually on, or the other way around as well. In short, I wouldn’t trust this setup for mission critical things like: Heath care equipment, high wattage items that might cost you a lot if left on, or things that might burn down the house if left on – especially if you’ve reassured your wife that it really is off because if it isn’t off and something happens you’ll never hear the end of it.

If you need to use this for important things, look through this thread and see if anyone has a device type that solved the problem of displaying each outlet properly in the mobile app.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification!

I’d love to be able to control each power outlet individually. And I’d really like to be able to status each power outlet individually to see if its on and drawing power. That would be cool, and I have can have some fun with some controls if that’s doable.

But at a minimum, I think the basic requirements I have are
a) Is anything plugged into the strip drawing power?
b) Can I turn the strip off remotely?
And I think the basic strip and the smartapps will let me do that.

Something for me to play with after I put in another dimmer and maybe some motion detectors. It won’t be wired up until I’ve experimented a bit with it to see how well it works.