SmartenIT ZBWS3 [2014]

@sgord I totally understand I have been pushing for some type of API to allow developers to install custom device types. Right now you have to cut and past the custom device driver into the IDE and publish it locally. Not that big of a deal for someone who does it every day but for a guy or gal who just wants a cool device to work it is bit of an undertaking. What we need is an install process developers can include in their custom device type allowing users to easily install new device types. SmartThings has a way of publishing them internally but that process is more for manufactures and builders not to mention it has a good size backlog right now. I understand why they have this process and this is a good example of a device that isn’t a good fit. I don’t make these devices I just simply helped a guy out by writing a custom device type for one. To get it certified I would need to send a device into SmartThings with documentation and basically sponsor the device. All to just get a custom device type pushed though so it would show up in your device list.

It took me maybe an hour to write the device type for this three button ZigBee switch If I had a way to zip it up with a install process you could just click on to install it into you IDE I would be happy to spend the extra time and package it up that way. But that doesn’t exist and that is what I very much would like to see the SmartThings people add! I will bring in two SmartThings people into this conversation @Ben, and @urman who i know care a great deal about customer request. They may have a way to do this I just don’t know about.

1 Like