Voice Control Using Siri and IFTTT (not using HomeKit, just voice text)

Agreed, JDR - just adding related info to the discussion. But as a person who has jailbroken an iPhone since the iPhone2, I can tell you that the tweaks I mentioned are stable. reliable, and very, very handy – especially for home automation purposes.

Got my new Apple Watch sport. It’s a two steps forward one step back situation as far as voice control.

Will Poirier’s IFTTT method does work, and the voice over Wi-Fi works pretty well, so I do have voice command from all around the house, even when my phone is plugged in and charging in one room.

So far so good.

Now the one step back, at least as far as handsfree accessibility. It starts completely hands-free, which is really nice, and you don’t have to use any physical button presses to complete a text message.

However, partway through the process, Siri leaves the building. And you’re back in voice dictation for text message. Unlike the way Siri works on the iPhone, this means that you must make one screen press to actually send the message each time.

It’s not a big deal, and I can do it, but it’s not what I expected or hoped for.

Anyway, I do like it, and it does give me more flexibility around the house, because I don’t need a listener in every room. But there is still progress to be made as far as using the watch goes. I did report this to Apple as an accessibility issue, so maybe they will make it an option in the future.

updated Apple corrected this with the second update to the watchOS and now voice texting is totally touchfree on the watch! I use Echo as my primary means of voice control when I’m in range, but I continue to use voice text on the watch to IFTTT when I’m in the yard or otherwise out of range of echo. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey @infofiend

That is an awesome idea! I am an avid jailbreaker. Like you I’ve been doing it since the days of geohot :smile: I just downloaded those 2 tweaks and set them up on my 6s. My question to you is, how do I set up the command lines for the activate command? I am not a developer, but I am a tinkerer and fairly tech savvy. Is there an easy way to figure the commands for triggering ST to control or toggle one of my devices?

Thanks!!
-Jason

Jason-

Glad to have another JBer here. I’ve felt like the only one for a while!

You just need to (1) set up the ST endpoints you want, (2) copy the http addresses for those endpoints into activate command and then (3) tie those commands to activator.

Here’s a description that I wrote previously - ignore the abort stuff - that might help:

Feel free to ask me Qs.

-Tony

Thanks for the quick reply! I don’t feel like an iPhone is complete with that wonderful Cydia icon and it looks like we’re going to be protected for a few more years now according to what Saurik is posting.

So if I understand this corrected I just need to create end point urls for each action I want to control the assign those to the command lines using that line “curl -k -s…” And when I assign that command to activator for how I trigger (i.e. Siri and asst+) it should give me Siri voice control for the action?

I have not researched how to get those urls, I will look it up now, but any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!
-Jason

I actually got it working. However after Siri sends the command it freezes there (screenshot below). This happening to you? I can close Siri, but the little bar just keep going side to side after.

Jason-

After the

curl -k -s https:[ENDPOINT]

portion of the command, try adding

; sleep 2; activator send libactivator.system.virtual-assistant

which will pause briefly, then exit Siri.

If that doesn’t work, then post your command (be sure to MASK your confidential endpoint data).

-Tony

Thanks for the info! After I sent that I tried turning on the passthru option and creating a custom response, that seems to work (and my wife is really enjoying Siri responding calling master and El Capitan).

I used that Alfred plugin to get the urls and there was and option for locks too but there was no where to get that url. Is that not possible do trigger?

Search for endpoint example on this forum. Follow those instructions to set up locks, etc.

Pass through works too. I use the group command function - so I can call all of my scenes the same way: “wiki wiki” + a variable of [sceneName].

I was reading that but didn’t really understand how that one worked. It sounded like if you knew a little programming you could use variables to perform multiple functions.

Knowing a little programing can be a dangerous thing.

I think there might be a decent description on reddit of how to use group command feature.

1 Like

Apologies if this is redundant but I wanted this Siri-controlled feature along w/ not having to setup multiple recipes in IFTTT. I’m taking the route of creating a virtual switch and then letting either Rule Machine (preferred for me) OR The Big Switch smartapp control the set of lights I want to function. Hope that helps group things better!

It seems that lots of people have had success with making this work - I’m based in the UK and wondered if anyone had managed to create the same function without having to pay for international text messages? My UK provider allows unlimited texts so this would be ideal but currently I would have to pay for every text sent via IFTTT SMS.

I’ve seen that you can achieve similar results via an email command but I don’t think it’s as smooth a method when using Siri! Would love to hear any thoughts / recommendations.

Thanks all
Ciaran

I’m seeing Siri add a space between # and my tag… in my test i’m using ‘hall_on’.
If I manually send the text as ‘#hall_on’ it works.
I’ve tried to edit the IF trigger to include a space as the first character, but it seems to strip it out after saving…
Anyone else run into this and know a fix?

OK… I’ve figured out you can instruct siri with the verbal command ‘no space’ within your phrase… so by saying 'tell home hashtag no space ’ you can circumvent siri adding the space after the hashtag… I wish this wasn’t necessary and if someone has a better way, please let me know…

as an aside, I changed my keyword to ‘hallway’ as ‘hall’ gets interpreted wrong frequently… BUT… ‘hallway_off’ seems to work consistently, but ‘hallway_on’ does not at all… Ideas? ‘hall_on’ works, but the interpretation issue of ‘hall’ makes it painful…

I’m sure that’s frustrating. Mine has never put in the extra space you describe, so I’m not sure what causes that. You might check with Apple, it sounds like a setting somewhere.

JD…that’s what I suspected, and on digging found the ‘no space’ command… are you saying that on your device it doesn’t add the space?

As to the hallway_off working and hallway_on, I found some similar experience in older messages… Seems I’ll need to try other phrases? Siri gets the correct text to IFTTT, so wouldn’t that be a IFTTT issue with it not handling the hashtag trigger?

Don’t have the extra space now, never did ( and as someone who is quadriparetic, all my texts are via Siri). I don’t recall setting any special parameters, but it’s always possible. But I don’t have to say “No space.” It’s always possible there’s a difference between the UK and US versions.

As for the hallway issue, when you look at the history in your messages and iOS it shows the correct phrase? That seems strange. By the time it gets to IFTTT, it should just be the exact written text. I’d check the recipe to make sure that it was written exactly the same way.

Also, just to be sure, you’re saying the word “hashtag” not “number sign” or “pound sign” or “octothorpe” or any of the other synonyms, correct?