Virtual switch no switching modes

I created a virtual switch in the ide. It’s on my dashboard and I have a smart app called at home that that set to change mode to home. It never changes mode.

1 Like

what app are you using. cna you post the code?

Just created a virtual on off switch on the ide. Trying to use that as a trigger to set home or away mode.

1 Like

Right, what app are you using the watch for the Virtual Switch change to process the mode change?

Or maybe I need to better understand how I can use a virtual switch to set home or away mode.

1 Like

Android. trigger. But not using it now, just testing the virtual switch in the app. Either way it does not change the home or the away mode.

1 Like

Really simple, in the ST app, virtual on off switch, set home when on and set away when off.

1 Like

Yeah you need to use an app to watch for the switch state to change. Use something like this:

/**
 *  Big Switch for Hello Home Phrases
 *  Copyright 2014 Tim Slagle
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 */
definition(
    name: "Big Switch for Hello Home Phrases",
    namespace: "tslagle13",
    author: "Tim Slagle",
    description: "Uses a virtual/or physical switch to run hello home phrases.",
    category: "Convenience",
    iconUrl: "http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/icons8/windows-8/512/User-Interface-Switch-On-icon.png",
    iconX2Url: "http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/icons8/windows-8/512/User-Interface-Switch-On-icon.png"
)

preferences {
	page(name: "selectPhrases")

page( name:"Settings", title:"Settings", uninstall:true, install:true ) {
    section("Settings") {
    	label title: "Assign a name", required: false
  	}
    section(title: "More options", hidden: hideOptionsSection(), hideable: true) {

def timeLabel = timeIntervalLabel()

href "timeIntervalInput", title: "Only during a certain time", description: timeLabel ?: "Tap to set", state: timeLabel ? "complete" : null

input "days", "enum", title: "Only on certain days of the week", multiple: true, required: false,
				options: ["Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday", "Sunday"]

input "modes", "mode", title: "Only when mode is", multiple: true, required: false
		}
  }
}

def selectPhrases() {
	def configured = (settings.HHPhraseOff && settings.HHPhraseOn)
    dynamicPage(name: "selectPhrases", title: "Configure", nextPage:"Settings", uninstall: true) {		
		section("When this switch is turned on or off") {
			input "master", "capability.switch", title: "Where?"
		}
        def phrases = location.helloHome?.getPhrases()*.label
		if (phrases) {
        	phrases.sort()
		section("Run These Hello Home Phrases When...") {
			log.trace phrases
			input "HHPhraseOn", "enum", title: "The Switch Turns On", required: true, options: phrases, refreshAfterSelection:true
			input "HHPhraseOff", "enum", title: "The Switch Turns Off", required: false, options: phrases, refreshAfterSelection:true

}
		}
    }
}    

def installed(){
subscribe(master, "switch.on", onHandler)
subscribe(master, "switch.off", offHandler)
}

def updated(){
unsubscribe()
subscribe(master, "switch.on", onHandler)
subscribe(master, "switch.off", offHandler)
}

def onHandler(evt) {
if(allOk){
log.debug evt.value
log.info("Running Light On Event")
sendNotificationEvent("Performing \"${HHPhraseOn}\" because ${master} turned on.")
location.helloHome.execute(settings.HHPhraseOn)
}
}

def offHandler(evt) {
if(allOk){
log.debug evt.value
log.info("Running Light Off Event")
sendNotificationEvent("Performing \"${HHPhraseOff}\" because ${master} turned off.")
location.helloHome.execute(settings.HHPhraseOff)
}
}

private getAllOk() {
	modeOk && daysOk && timeOk
}

private getModeOk() {
	def result = !modes || modes.contains(location.mode)
	log.trace "modeOk = $result"
	result
}

private getDaysOk() {
	def result = true
	if (days) {
		def df = new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("EEEE")
		if (location.timeZone) {
			df.setTimeZone(location.timeZone)
		}
		else {
			df.setTimeZone(TimeZone.getTimeZone("America/New_York"))
		}
		def day = df.format(new Date())
		result = days.contains(day)
	}
	log.trace "daysOk = $result"
	result
}

private getTimeOk() {
	def result = true
	if (starting && ending) {
		def currTime = now()
		def start = timeToday(starting).time
		def stop = timeToday(ending).time
		result = start < stop ? currTime >= start && currTime <= stop : currTime <= stop || currTime >= start
	}
	log.trace "timeOk = $result"
	result
}

private hhmm(time, fmt = "h:mm a")
{
	def t = timeToday(time, location.timeZone)
	def f = new java.text.SimpleDateFormat(fmt)
	f.setTimeZone(location.timeZone ?: timeZone(time))
	f.format(t)
}

private hideOptionsSection() {
	(starting || ending || days || modes) ? false : true
}

private timeIntervalLabel() {
	(starting && ending) ? hhmm(starting) + "-" + hhmm(ending, "h:mm a z") : ""
}

Add this into the IDE as a custom smart app, publish it to yourself, and then you can call hello home phrases as much as you want :smiley:

But the automatically perform at home, there is no option to use a virtual switch.

1 Like

ok, thanks for that. How do I use that app?

1 Like

Add this into the IDE as a custom smart app, publish it to yourself, and then you can call hello home phrases as much as you want :smile:

Not sure why I need that. Following that post that you help find about using iftt and presence,

First you want to go into the IDE and create a virtual on/off button. Simply do the following:

Go to ide.smartthings.com
Go to Devices
click "New Device"
name it anything you like mines "Cory Mobile Presence"
Device Network ID: N/A
Type: On/Off Button Tile
Create

Go into your app and create rules that change the mode to away or home based on if this switch is on, or off.

This last sentence. Can’t seem to find how do this?

1 Like

You don’t have an app. You need to use the one i gave you to make this happen.

Go to the IDE>SmartApp>New smart app… Copy and paste what I gave you. publish it. install it from the mobile app.

Then… enjoy

When I log into ide, I don’t have the option for smart apps.

1 Like

I can list my smart apps, but don’t see an option to create one

1 Like

Ok so I was not in developer mode. Got it figured out. How do I install the app, now that its published?

1 Like

When you login you’ll see this click on my Smart Apps

Then click on “+ New Smart App”

Hit the “+” icon at the bottom of the screen and scroll all the way to the right. (in the mobile app)

also I think you need to log out of the mobile app and log back in to have my apps appear. or it used to be that way.

I’ve never had to do this, but ive seen it said here before