[SURVEY] Are you happy with the direction SmartThings is headed?

…continuing the discussion from Mr. Hawkinson’s last update.

This week we mark three months since Mr. Hawkinson revealed the company’s plan forward to improve stability of the platform.

There is an open poll for everyone to express their opinion on the direction in which SmartThings is headed. Currently, there are only 25 participants. I know we can do better than that!

Click the link below to access the poll:

Are you happy with the direction in which SmartThings is headed?

4 Likes

Now we’re talking … Double the participants in 3 hours! Great response, BUT is not enough…:slight_smile: Keep on going.

5h later and we have some more movement.

When do we hit statistical significance?

1 Like

That poll changed suddenly there in the end.

Basically nearly everyone in the last 5 hours voted “yes”. Having the poll buried in a thread with people complaining may have skewed the early results.

My calcs show that around 25 people voted no, wondering what it was like when only 25 votes were in.

If the results were skewed due to a confirmation bias at the outset due to crowd in the thread, how did that change so suddenly in the end? The thread didn’t change in the last 5 hours.

This thread was new thread with no biased attached.

The other thread was people talking about “mass exodus” so when a poll resulted I would guess at least 10-12 people voted no immediately. That is why I am curious about early results when only 25 votes were locked in.

3 Likes

I think we started with 3 people voting yes out of the 25.

2 Likes

And after a day, we picked up some more steam!

Congrats! You have reached statistical significance with margin of error of 10% and 95% certainty (which is around 95 respondents)

1 Like

I forget my basic Stats class (and, advanced stats, actually…);

But how do you rate significance without:

1. Knowing the population size (i.e., the number of SmartThings’s customers or potential customers).

2. The quality of the sample (i.e., randomness of selection from the population – Forum users do not represent a random cross-section of all SmartThings Customers).

Of course, if you define the population differently (e.g., all Forum users in the past 30 days?), then …?

1 Like

Population size is not nearly as significant as you think.

Look here: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

A population of 10,000 needs 95, anything over 100,000 needs 96. 95% accuracy with 10% margin.

Now the sample is another issue, since the forum people are a special bunch.

Sill its safe to say that that the majority of the forum members are happy with the direction smartthings is going. 65% with a 10% margin of error still puts worse case at 55%.

2 Likes

Here are the final results. I have closed the poll due to @alex 's recent update, which further proves that ST is moving in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for participating.

2 Likes