ST and BlueIris with Subnets and VLans

I am about to pull the trigger on ST, but I would like to know a couple things. Is ST required to be on the same subnet as my other devices, or can I put it on the same switch/VLan as BlueIris? I want to separate it from my other devices so that it is not taking up resources from my internet and I would just forward the appropriate ports and create the rules. If it is required to be on my primary network, will there be an issue integrating BlueIris since it is will be on a different subnet?

Best scenario:

1. Primary Network - for all my internet connected devices
  2. Second Network - for ST, but allows communication to Primary Network and Tertiary Network
  3. Tertiary Network - for BlueIris, allow communication to Primary Network and Secondary Network

Is this scenario possible?

Thanks!

Access between VLANs really depends on how you configure your network. Not ST or BlueIris related. From my experience, SmartThings uses very little network bandwidth. Many frequent small device handler and command and logging RPCs. Not enough to suck up bandwidth from what I can tell.

I have BlueIris motion detection triggered to turn on lights through rest endpoints in ST. I also have the SmartTiles dashboard setup to stream video from BlueIris server on my local LAN, not over the Internet. AFAIK, there is still very little you can do with video within the actual ST mobile app. Still images and the like. The BlueIris mobile app or a custom static mobile HTML page using the server authentication on the BlueIris server is the best way to view video IMO.

2 Likes

Integration of LAN connected devices is relatively low in SmartThings currently and sometimed among the least reliable features. This would be stuff like Philips Hue Bridge, WeMo, Harmony Home, Sonos…

These use LAN based discovery protocols which might not work well across VLANs.

The wireless ZigBee and Z-Wave devices are not IP and already separate nets than your WiFi.

@Dlee How did you get BlueIris motion detection to trigger turning on lights w/ ST? That sounds pretty cool.

How did you do that?

In each camera settings in BlueIris there is an option for alerts. One of the alerts options is http request. In there you just paste in your rest endpoint URLs for whichever switch on commands you configured.

[enter link description here][1]

So is your BlueIris server on the same network as your ST, or is the BlueIris server on a seperate subnet?

My concerns are my downloads, pings, and streaming from my Plex server remotely.

Can you please share the code on how you are doing the http request. I would love to do this.

The ST Hub will consume exactly the same amount of your home’s network/internet resources regardless of whether it is on the primary LAN, or one of your private subnets. Personally, I believe you are only asking for trouble putting the ST hub on a separate VLAN. Hopefully you are aware that currently, all ST functionality/logic executes in the ST Cloud. The v1.0 ST Hub is simply a bridge between Zigbee/ZWave devices to the ST Cloud. (Yes, technically the v1.0 hub can communicate to LAN based Ethernet devices, but not many folks have done so successfully.) Without an Internet connection, none of your home automation will work. ST Hub v2.0 is supposed to move processing to the hub, reducing the dependency on the ST Cloud for many typical tasks, but not all.

BTW - I am 99.99% certain that @Dlee 's BlueIris server does NOT communicate with his ST Hub at all. It talks directly to the ST Cloud, just like the ST Hub does.

YMMV, but I recommend the KISS principle here.

Have fun and enjoy your new home automation system!

1 Like

It’s all in the tutorial linked above. It takes time and technically you should run on your own server, but you can try out the “run the code” near the bottom of the tutorial to authorize your switches. Then right-click on the On button and copy the URL to your blueiris alerts HTTP request config for the given camera settings.

That’s right. It’s over the Internets.