Dashboard Theming (Custom CSS) and Mounting Hardware Ideas

Thanks @ErnieG and @joshua_lyon. I am new to android and bought 2 cheap tablets just for SmartTiles. Definitely going to try this!

2 Likes

Is there a way to change the icons for specific tiles? I have some fans and would like to change the light bulb to a fan.

This worked perfectly, thanks for your help!

One way of doing it:

.tile.switch[data-device='8afa0271-323f-447a-8cdb-8c70f8e84fe2'] {background-color: red}

1 Like

I’m using two of separate URL link tiles to trigger turn my TV to turn on and off (via tasker) Instead, Is there a way to create a switch to launch a URL when it is in the on position and another when it is in the off position? I have made a couple of virtual switches, but I’m not sure how to change the code or how to make a smartapp to trigger these actions.

So I finally got to my mount build. It’s a magnetic wireless charging mount. I know some people are gonna say, it maybe bad to put magnets on a tablet but I figured it’s all SSD and it was a tablet given to me so if it craps out i’ll figure something else, plus it’s a bit beat up. But for now it works. Only complaint is that my tablet is a bit on the heavy side so it may fall but the magnets seem really secure…

Build Materials consist of the following:

1. HP Slate 8 Pro
  2. cheap wireless charger from Amazon
  3. cheap wireless charging interface from Amazon
  4. 4ft micro USB cable
  5. 8 magnets from Amazon
  6. 3 gang blank wall plate
  7. cable pass through wall plate
  8. 3M double sided tape

Here is the end product:

Here are some pics of the whole process…

Oh you will notice my dashboard says “Nest” for the thermostat, I recently bought an EcoBee3 to replace my Nest so I’m working on getting that into the dashboard…

16 Likes

I like this setup because the tablet is easily mobile and the plate does not look bad when the tablet is not mounted. Also should you have to replace the tablet you dont have much to change as far as the mounting goes.
Great work!

The reasons you pointed out were why I went this route. I could change out the tablet if I wanted to upgrade the device and it had a minimalist look with out having large bezels around it. Also I could pull it off the wall and place it on the fridge or other areas around the house and then place it back on the wall to charge. It was a bonus that the white HP slate pro being white and black look nice next to the white and black ecobee3.

The total build cost me less the $50 CAD. I saw some wall mount magnetic chargers that utlized a special mount and case that costs hundreds of dollars. The case specific to device could not be swap out without finding a new specific case, so if using an unknown tablet its not an option.

My original test I had the magnets behind the blank wall plate so it looked less intrusive, but the slippery surface of the wall plate and space between the magnets reduce the magnets strength and cause the tablet to slip off. Maybe if i had a lighter tablet it would have been ok.

3 Likes

Looks nice, off to Amazon to buy the magnets… Did you use hot glue to sick them to the tablet ?

I’m going with a recessed single gang AC or USB wall plate behind the tablet to get a cleaner look.

1 Like

I used 3M double sided tape, so I could pull off the magnets easier down the road.

If you have some old hard drives laying around, open it and use the magnets inside. REALLY STRONG magnets :slight_smile:

Here are the links to the amazon items:

magnets: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0064PFZYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

wireless charger: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HI73OWE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

wireless charger interface: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ST7K91G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
(Make sure you buy the right one for the orientation of your microUSB)

Took 4-6 weeks for all the parts to get here from china though… But it was cheap…

7 Likes

Also, Walmart.ca had a ton of cheap tablets, starting from $39 CAD.

2 Likes

Doesn’t look like he’s using smarttiles (yet), but @Jon_Brodi has a really slick design:

I am leaning toward trying @huydnguyen method for mounting using a Qi wireless recharging method.

Currently I am mounting my tablet in the kitchen using 4 Command Large Picture-Hanging Strips
That way I can move it recharge or change other things. I have had no problems with keeping my Digiland 7" tablet in place or removing it… huydnguyen may not work here since the nearest plug may be two faraway.

I think I am going to move it to the bedroom since there is space between the light switch and the door frame and I have access to a power source directly below.

@DarcRanger You could also have one plate in the bedroom for charging and another plate in the kitchen where it is now but with just the wall plate and magnets, this way the kitchen mount would just be wall anchors behind the plate and no hole. You would just have to remember to move the tablet back to the room when it needs charging…

I had the same thought. Even found a dyi version of the recharge plate by itself, so I may not need to take one apart. Outside of the power supply issue in the kitchen, I still may move it, sincet the space the tablet is now already has a light switch, alarm panel and thermostat, so it is crowded now.

@huydnguyen – That’s a pretty crafty build on a great budget. Thanks for sharing all the details!

What made you swap the Nest for an Ecobee 3, if I may ask?

FYI. I’ve owned two of that exact same wireless charger. First one melted. Second one caught fire. I spent the extra couple bucks on a better charger and it works fine.

1 Like

Over the last couple days I’ve noticed it gets warm on the blank plate. Not any warmer then it did while i was using it on my desk though. I’m going to keep monitoring it, since I work from home. In the meantime I’m going to think of some ways to improve the hack (proof of concept) and also maybe spend a bit more on a better wireless charger, since you’ve had some first hand experience with this one. Thanks for the heads up