SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

The best bet, IMHO, would be a WiFi to Ethernet device, like the “TROUTER 150Mbps Wireless N Mini Pocket Router, Repeater, Client, 2 LAN Ports, USB Port for Charging and Storage”

This device would allow you to easily configure and obtain a wireless access connection in your building from the web interface, and plug into the ethernet port on Hub v1.

One of my concerns with using the available USB ports on Smartthings V2 will be the compatibility and configuration of the hundreds of WiFi USB sticks and if you want to use 50% of the USB ports for WiFi, when interfacing with the ethernet port is simplistic.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t hope for wifi support anytime soon based on the developer discussions. Maybe one day. @kurtsanders has a good suggestion, I’d go with that.

1 Like

I am in the same boat - I use a ST hub in Europe and had to buy all the items from US. I was wondering when the the v2 hub comes out and assume that there will be an EU version, could I not use two hubs - one with US frequency and another with EU frequency in the same way people with large houses use multiple hubs?

Hub v1
-light carnal
-no OS
-pic 32 processor

Hub v2

• 1 Gigahertz processor
    -Linux OS
    -500mb RAM
    -hub core (manage radio) talks to app engine
    -device type handler talks locally to (app engine) when possible
    -app engine (local processing off apps)
    -is only a manager making holistic decisions
    -4gig of flash mem (Smart Things apps, device types. etc.,) Local Storage – “Not on Day 1”
    -External storage at later date
    -Scheduler is in the V2 hub. (ex: sunrise/sunset.)
    -The Dashboard will work locally in the future. (Not on release date.)
4 Likes

Ever hear if you put a frog in boiling water it will immediately hop out but put it in room temp water then slowly heat up the water the frog will boil itself to death.

I think if I knew back in November what I know now I never would have made my first purchase of ST. I personally think a lot of other people would be the same way. I don’t know too many companies that continually get away with what ST gets away with. Horrible performance with no explanations. I saw a post from Tyler (not sure which one) saying they were weeks away from Nest integration and that was like a year ago and Ben stating something similar 6 months ago. Now, they don’t say anything. No answers to questions, no information, no roadmap, etc.

Sorry but that is stupid.

I’m not sure where that info is from but it sucks if true but certainly not surprising. What does future mean? Probably years after.

Unfortunately I’m a frog slowly boiling myself to death. Wish I jumped out before spending thousands of dollars on something that probably isn’t ever going to amount to sh!t.

Rather than local storage or a local dashboard. I would love to see a linux app for a ReadyNAS SAN.

Why is that “stupid”?

You do understand, don’t you, that this is referring to providing an optional backup Internet connection in addition to the regular Ethernet connection that is already included?

This strikes me as an eminently practical solution, particularly in an international marketplace with widely varying connectivity options (different cellular standards, different WiFi coverage scenarios, different telco practices, etc.)

Some people will not want to have UPS systems supporting routers with redundant Internet connectivity for their whole home network, but would like to retain the ability to monitor their home in the event of an ISP disruption.

3 Likes

I can’t figure out why (how?) anyone would spend “thousands of dollars” on leading (bleeding) edge technology and an unproven company and product line.

Most of the SmartThings weaknesses have been around for a while with no exact date ever promised for resolution. I have seen some areas of steady improvement, which gives some confidence in increasing the size of my system.

Slow incremental purchases of components would ensure a customer can experience reliability and complexity before making the next incremental investment.

This is not like outfitting a new home with a half-dozen major Samsung appliances and TVs… Those components have established a critically reviewed reputations.

3 Likes

Seriously?

Nest isn’t officially supported but at least 3 different device types exist from the community.

Also, name me one item you bought that is locked to only ST and can’t be used elsewhere besides the hub?

Its all standards compliant zwave or ZigBee and if you don’t like the hub, switch.

I can recommend a control4 dealer if you like. Just keep in mind all of your standards based devices won’t work with it. Plus you will spend 10x and not be in control of your own system but it will work.

7 Likes

I’d love to know how you managed to spend “thousands” of dollars on your Smartthings hub. Last I checked, a hub costs $100. And since everything else you’ve purchased uses open standards, you’re welcome to write off the $100 and move on to any other solution.

3 Likes

Agreed… not very pragmatic to jump head first like that into a “bleeding” edge technology. A lot of this HA is nice for monitoring and convenience. I’m definitely not “cloud-a-phobic”, but for the security of my family and possessions, I’m still a little hesitant to relinquish control to the Internet. AES-256 can be been broken…

Maybe I’m the exception here but I haven’t had any problems with my ST setup. I was originally going to get the VeraLite from Micasa Verde but that has been discontinued and I’ve read so many bad things about the new Edge that I decided to go with ST since it was an inexpensive solution. I have been very impressed with the level of support from both ST when I needed it, and also from the community. I was thinking that ST was just going to be a temporary step in my home automation journey but with the level of customization available through Smart Apps and custom device types, and the wide range of available Zwave products I’m thinking now I’ll stick with it. Any improvements down the road only make it better.

4 Likes

[quote=“Stroh, post:476, topic:5146, full:true”]
Maybe I’m the exception here but I haven’t had any problems with my ST setup. [/quote]

You are not the exception, I’m currently at 94 devices, with another 10-15 on the shelf waiting for me to install. I’m also running the HUE and Harmony integration, and 22 smartapps three of which I wrote from scratch. Have there been issues?, sure, but they don’t last very long, and usually it involves things being a little pokey.
I see these rants from time to time where folks make it out like the system is fundamentally and irrevocably broken…
That has not been my experience in using ST for almost a year now.

7 Likes

76 devices here with occasional hue and presence failures… But still worth it! I rant and whine but I still believe and hope. I am sure they WILL get there…And some of the presence issues may not be ST “issue”.

3 Likes

135 devices. 28 SmartApps. Harmony, Ecobee, and ADT Pulse all integrated. Presence detection improving (occasionally I leave and didn’t know it, but it typically detects my arrival and departure). The system is occasionally sluggish, but works as intended the vast majority (~95%) of the time. Support is usually responsive when there is a problem. Issues are short-lived and occurring less and less (definitely improving overall). I’m hopeful that local processing will fix the sporadic sluggishness.

4 Likes

I understand the frustration. I’ve leveled out with 141 devices. There are many functions I had to remove because they just weren’t reliable enough. There are many things more I would like to do but am in a holding pattern so to speak. The speed of the Android app seems the biggest step forward but hub v2 only seems to push the hump further out.

3 Likes

116 devices & 23 custom SmartApps here. The roads a bit bumpy from time to time but it’s the Internet when isn’t it bumpy?

My electrician had so much fun helping me with my setup that he’s referred clients to me to demo my system :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s the highest number I have heard since I joined the community… :slight_smile:

You guys have all hit a century… 100+ devices! Leaving the bulbs and switches what kind of animals are these?

2 Likes

Thanks to Best Buy’s sale I’m up to 99 things including virtual stuff. Two are old Weather Station tiles that I can’t delete because I once associated them to IFTTT. AFAIK, you still can’t remove a device that was added in IFTTT unless you completely delete the IFTTT channel and app?

Somehow I’ve managed 20 motions sensors already. Have not used a light switch since last summer (minus ST outages or motion sensors falling off the network). Now when I go to a hotel for travel it seems like such a chore to turn on/off lights manually…

4 Likes