Schlage or Kwikset?

Hi,

Very new (in fact don’t even have my hub yet!), trying to figure out if with either lock I can introduce temporary codes via the ST app?

I spoke to Kwikset, and they said the lock supports changing codes etc via app, but they don’t know if ST does, and to speak to them.

I asked Schlage too and this is their reply:

Thanks for your question!

At this time, you cannot do temporary user codes with the SmartThings platform. We are in talks to roll out this feature by the end of the year with that platform.

Currently the Lowes Iris platform supports this feature, and Wink supports adding user codes and setting a ‘reminder’ to delete the code via the app. This is done in this manner for security and reliability reasons.

We are constantly improving the Schlage Connect product and our partner’s apps/experiences so continue to watch for new features and enhancements.

So basically, if I can do it now with Kwikset I’ll get that, if not, I’ll get the Schlage.

Any ideas?

These are the locks I’m looking at:

http://www.kwikset.com/products/details/electronic-locks/916-trl-l03-ul.aspx

I figure its basically the same lock, I’m just wondering if ST handles them in a different way?

I have the Kwikset Zwave version, and use an app to pop in codes for the maid, guests, etc. So I can confirm that does work with the right community app. Its not native in the actual smart things built in stuff.

Not at all the same lock (different engineering), just a similar feature set. See any of the reviews.

The official support does not include individual LockCode management, but There are a couple of popular custom smartapps that allow for many LockCode features, so you can look into those.

Regarding one brand vs another…

First the reality. Most burglars are going to break a window before they drill through a deadbolt. Deadbolt security matters a lot more on stores and warehouses than it does on any residential home that doesn’t have barred windows.

That said, there is a big difference in engineering among different brands. Just one typical review:

1 Like

Thanks both!

Setting the lock physically won’t be an option for me. Most of the time I’ll be 5000 miles away, so I have to be able to control/limit/cancel access when necessary

Most of the smart locks these days come with their own smartphone app that gives you full access to all its features, although they may want a monthly fee for it.

While it’s nice to have everything integrated into one control app, you don’t have to do it that way.

1 Like

My suggestion would be to just use the smarttiles.click app and I create temporary instances of the dashboard for the people who you want to be able to unlock the door. They must have access to gadget with a web browser though. :smile: If done this way, you can pick whichever lock you want to use.

1 Like

Pardon me if I misunderstand exactly what you are looking for however, the Schlage lock you refer to is the one I have as well. It is integrated into ST and I can add/delete codes remotely using the app described with the post that I linked below
To add/delete codes at any given time you have to edit the preference setting within the app.

New “Home on Code Unlock Too”

Well I’ll be. App used to work perfectly with my Schlage but I decided to confirm that it still did. No go…Will delete existing codes but adding new ones no longer seems to work. :sleepy:

thats exactly what I want to do.

I dont yet understand all of this additional app stuff. Is it just apps that other users have written that are stand alone, or do they work with the ST app?

This will explain:

I use the Yale Zwave lock with a custom app developed by the community and it works well. Supports 1 time use codes, and you can remotely enable/disable the user codes. You can also see how many times the code was used and trigger Hello Home actions off of the codes. Here is the link:

4 Likes

I can confirm this works for my Schlage lock as well.

One consideration in your selection might be the Kwikset feature for rekeying the lock. This sounds convenient, but researching this on the web I found that this feature may make the lock more vulnerable to tampering. Just a caveat.

2 Likes

noted, I saw that the shclage seemed to have a higher security rating too then the kwikset.

2 Likes

I have the rekeyable Kwikset locks, and it can be very convenient, even for a homeowner, e.g., if a key gets “out.” Not a lock expert, but done some research, and I also try to be practical. As to which locks are more secure (bumpable, pickable, etc.), most houses are broken into by kicking in the door or other means that don’t involve mucking with the lock. Maybe if you’re uber-rich and someone specifically targets you, it’s an issue, but not otherwise. So what I want is a reasonably secure lock, installed properly in the frame, in a reasonably secure frame without a compromising window beside or in the door. I’m really glad I got a rekeyable lock.

2 Likes

I can confirm also that the User Lock Manager app that Dinneryeti is referring to works with Schalge. I’m using the Schalge Connect with the User Lock Manager and I’m able to add and delete users as well as scheduled entry times for certain codes. I have not tested the temporary code feature yet, but I have had no problems with this app at all.

User Lock Manager

I can also confirm that the Lock Manager works with both of my Schlage Connect deadbolts. However, it seems as though there is a limitation on the scheduling. When setting a schedule that will apply to all users, not select users. This would be helpful for us as one of our locks is at our office building and each employee has their own entry code. It would be nice to give them access to the building during the week but not on the weekends. That hasn’t been a problem for us, though, because we’d get a notification if the door is unlocked while we aren’t there…

Right, schlage connect deadbolts ordered, looking forward to getting caught up in this!

Hi!

So I have the Schlage, and I’m trying this app for the first time.

I’m following the steps on the tutorial video, I delete from preferences down, and copy over from preferences down from user-lock-manager.smartapp.groovy but when I click save it gives me 4 error messages.

When I click on the app in the ST app, all I’m given is the opportunity to assign a name or uninstall.

What am I doing wrong here?

Which Schlage lock do you use? I cannot get mine to work with this.