Scheduler and Polling quits after some minutes, hours, or days

I think you’re right. I started to look into the scheduled job history for both my apps. It looks like it’s a roller coaster ride if the second ends with 0 while the jobs wwith off 0 seconds gets executed quickly. Attached below : MyQ is scheduled to run once a minute and iComfort running once every 5 minutes on 00 seconds.

I think that there’s plenty of events that can forcefully trigger to reset the schedules within ST. Changing of modes, sunrise/sunset. If you happen to have something constantly polling like energy meter, theoretically you can subscribe to the event and piggy back on the polling instead of relying on cron schedule.

I’m still testing with these ideas. Only time will tell if they work.

1 Like

How do you see that screen? I don’t see that in my IDE…

My Locations > Installed SmartApps > (your smartapp)

Well so far it doesn’t look to resolve the issue, but it does make the execution delay a lot more consistent. Well i’m off to code up a workaround.

So i updated a smartapp that polls every 8 mins to get weather and temp info to auto restart in the case of SSDS and it had been working well till last night when both scheduled tasks died. From the looks of the logs both task tasks put up a hell of a fight till they both died and i reinitialized the app.

@Tyler @April Guys… Whats going on here?

Cool, did not know this existed (like so many things in ST :smile:)

My outside light failed to turn off three hours after sunset. Sure enough, this page shows it simply did not fire…

I wonder where it went?

1 Like

Hmmm…my Hue bridge shows no activity for several days and my hue bulbs never get their status updated if they are controlled by anything outside ST. This breaks the Big Switch I’ve been using.

@sidjohn1 suggests this might be another example of Sudden Scheduler Death Syndrome, as the Hue Connect smartapp runs a scheduled poll of the Hue Bridge which has apparently stopped at my house.

1 Like

SDSS affects us all. Tragic.

Both of my schedules died last night around that same time. Must have been a rough patch over in the ST servers. Otherwise, it’s been pretty solid having my monitor job restarting them. In case anyone’s curious, here’s my version of the RainMachine that runs a monitor schedule for the polling: GitHub - brbeaird/SmartThings_RainMachine at schedulerFix

I’ll probably try and add some of copyninja’s latest MyQ smartapp modifictions that have it subscribing to things like sunrise/sunset as well as multisensors as events that can restart the refresh polling scheduler.

Is this an industry wide affliction?

Calendar service providers never seem to fail to issue a scheduled event alert on time, every time.

No. My security system, my medical alert system, IFTTT, Amazon Echo, several Philips Hue control apps, iBeacon+, my thermostat, my DVR, various calendar and reminder apps, and my pool monitoring system all have regular scheduled events, and while an individual event may occasionally, although very rarely, be missed, it has never killed the schedule altogether.

1 Like

Maybe I should build and sell an external scheduling service…

Just be sure it scales :smile:

2 Likes

Chronos?

1 Like

Pretty much, worst is it’s a "fire and forget"style. Once stopped, it’s unlikely to continue onto the next scheduled time unless re initiated. ST needs to change it to “better late than never”

3 Likes

Is it just me or anyone else has observed issues related to scheduled apps and hello home actions lately? It seems to be happening quite a bit since last couple of weeks.

1 Like

Scheduler, yep. Discussing it here:

2 Likes

You beat me to pasting the same link!

Perhaps this new Topic is redundant.

But while I’m here, my guess as to the Top SmartThings ongoing issues:

1. Scheduler (including runIn and dashboard solution SmartApps, etc.); jobs aren’t just delayed, they go to the abyss; jobs can’t reschedule selves if they don’t run.
  2. Presence (mobile more unpredictable than keyfob, but fob still insufficiently reliable).
  3. Periodic long event latency (e.g. delay between motion sensor trigger and switch on).
  4. Incomplete Hello Home Action mode changes.
  5. Mobile App slowness, crashes, and usability.
  6. Slow updates and other failures from Philips Hue
  7. Periodic IDE problems.
3 Likes

Add Sonos issues too, Terry. Except for #2 facing all of those. The worst is hues and #5.

2 Likes

If only ST actually cared about this… My Sunset apps failed last night. They’ve been solid for some time. All you can figure is that ST is Meh. Fixing it is not a priority, it would seem.

1 Like