Room Fan Control using Temperature?

I have searched the SmartApps for a while not and did not find any one that control a light switch using Temperature. My setup includes and SmartThings motion and Temperature monitor and I like to control a GE fan control switch (low, med, high) from SmartThings when certain temperatures are reached.
Any one any ideas on how to implement this using currently available apps?

Search is your friend.

The fourth item in this search looks like a winner.

https://community.smartthings.com/search?context=topic&context_id=54172&q=Fan%20control%20temperature&skip_context=true

In home automation, a light switch and an outlet are generally treated the same as a “switch” because both have on/off capability. So if you just want on/off, you can look for smart apps which will turn the switch on based on temperature.

you can use the smart app which is in the marketplace section of the official smart things mobile app that is called “virtual thermostat.” You do need to have some sensor that reports the temperature as well as the fan switch.

1. Open the SmartThings mobile app
  2. tap on the market place icon (asterisk at the bottom right of the screen)
  3. choose “smart apps” at the top of the screen

Four) choose “climate control”

Five) find the smart app and follow its instructions.

There is another one called “whole house fan” in the same section which might also work.

custom code alternatives

If you’re willing to use custom code, you will find several that allow you to control the low medium high options on a fan switch.

If you haven’t used custom code before, first read the overview faq and that will give you an idea of how it works. But it’s pretty straightforward, you are just going to copy someone else’s code and paste it into your own account. :sunglasses:

After you read the FAQ if that sounds like something you would like to try, you can use the quick browse lists in the community created wiki to find custom code for HVAC cases, including fan control.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

2 Likes

This smart app works great in conjunction with the below device handler.

This is a great 3 speed fan controller for the GE switch it sounds like you are using.

1 Like

Easy solution. Temp sensor, fan control switch or ge z wave switch and CoRE