[OBSOLETE] Pushbullet Notifier 1.2.1

Now that Pushbullet is available for iOS, I thought it would be a good way to push messages to a single device since the ST app can’t currently do that and the text option is sometimes unreliable. Using @625alex’s Pushbullet Device, I created Pushbullet Notifier.

5 Steps to Setup:

1. Go to https://www.pushbullet.com/ and sign up for an account. Also install Pushbullet on the device you want to receive notifications on.

2. Head to the IDE and in My Device Types install the device type below:

https://github.com/625alex/SmartThings/blob/master/devices/Pushbullet.groovy

3., you head to My Devices and click “+ New Device”. Give it a name, a Device Network ID, select “Pushbullet” under type, and select the location and hub. Click create.

4. Go to the mobile app. In your things, there should be a new device that says PB on it. Click the options gear and go into preferences for the device. You can find your API key at https://www.pushbullet.com/account. If you want the Pushbullet ST device to send to only one of your devices, you need the Device Id. If you have curl on your machine, you can use “curl -u {API Key}: https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/devices” to find the device ids for all your pushbullet devices. It will be the “iden”. (Pro Tip: You can use pushbullet to get the API key and Device ID from your computer to your device). Click done and then press the test button to see if it is working.

5. Then put the smart app code below in a new smart app and install with your new Pushbullet device!

Again, I don’t claim @625Alex’s pushbullet code. I just made a notifier that works for me and I hope it works for you. Let me know what you all think!

6 Likes

This is REALLY awesome! I seem to NEVER get notifications directly through Smartthings no matter how many different ways I have tried. Set this up and got notifications INSTANTLY!! Great work!

Cheers

J

1 Like

I plan on adding more to it at some point. If you have any ideas of things you would like to be notified about, please let me know.

Is there any way to have the notification popup show something other than “note:SmartThings Pushbullet Notifier” for IOS. Right now I have to go into the app to see whatever message I wanted it to say. With a text I can see it right away.

Are you able to have the “title” of the message contain the actual message?

Thanks,
Scott

This is great. But I would also like to have this. I have a Garmin VivoSmart and when I get a Push Bullet I would like to see the message as the title. Thanks.

This was an easy fix. I already updated the code in the github. Version 1.0.1 now has the option to display the message in the title. You can find the option under Pushbullet options.

2 Likes

Sweet! Thanks so much!

Everything is awesome. Thanks.

I hope you don’t mind but I asked Geko who made SmartAlarm if he could add this change to his app as well, it makes it much more usefull :smile:
Thanks for adding it so quick, I can think of a few instances to use this where I would not want the “push” to goto my wife and daughters phone’s. Before this I had to turn push off as to not bug them with messages they did not need.

This is great!

I saw the post and gave my two cents on it. There would of course have to be a little more code then what I posted to make it an option, but it will work.

I had the same problem. That’s why I made the app.

2 Likes

Thanks for everything!

I had the same problem too. I made the Pushbullet device type for this very reason. I also made a service manger and an app that is very similar to yours but then I got sidetracked.

Also, I was talking to the Pushbullet developer to enhance the Pushbullet API with callbacks, but it never materialized. Eric, maybe you can poke him about it?

1 Like

@625alex or @baldeagle072, do you know a way of getting rid of the “note:” part on the popup?
I have seen other PB notifications that did not have this so I was just wondering.
No big deal but would be sweet if that could be removed.

Thanks,
Scott

I’ve been trying to work on a service manager. I have everything working except for actually making the child device. I haven’t figured out how to do that yet. My service manager, using the API key, can currently list all the devices on your pushbullet account and get their 'iden’s, but I don’t know how to turn that into a device. I know it has something to do with addChildDevice, but it is still somewhat a mystery to me.

I am a very amateur coder in my opinion - it’s not my job, it’s a hobby. APIs and callbacks also still kind of elude me. I put a lot of my api code together through a lot of trial and error and log.debug()s.

I think, with their current API, this is not possible. Those other PB notifications - might they be from PB subscriptions?

Ok, no problem. Thanks for checking.
Yes I think rss feeds.

Here’s my service manager. I don’t remember how far I got (it’s been at least 6 months since I looked at it), but I think I could create child devices.

Pushbullet Service Manager

You can take over this project if you like, my coding attention is entirely consumed by ActiON Dashboard at this moment.

I don’t blame you. It is quite an awesome application! Keep up the good work on it!

@baldeagle072 This is more than awesome…Now at least I can stop bothering missus with all kinds of notifications…

Was exactly my issue :smile: