Programmable In-Wall Light Switch for 2 Devices

I just bought a home where the previous owners turned two bedrooms into a large master bedroom. For some reason they decided to have the light switch located at the entrance into the room control a light in the closet instead of switching an outlet that could be used to turn on a table lamp. There is no overhead light in the room. My solution was to plug the lights that sit on my night stands into a ST lamp module, but I have to find my phone whenever I want to use the ST app to turn those lights on or off. I’d like to replace the light switch located at the entrance to the room with a z-wave switch that can control two devices (the lamp module and a z-wave bulb that will replace the bulb in the closet) but there doesn’t seem to be anything out there. I know I can probably use a minimote, but would prefer to just replace the existing old-school switch. Does anyone know of a product that can do what I’m trying accomplish? Basically I need a switch with two switches that can be programmed to control a z-wave bulb and a ST lamp module. I thought it would be easy to find a switch like that, but haven’t had any luck. Thanks for any advice or creative solutions anyone can offer.

There are two devices community members typically use for this situation.

The first is the Leviton VRCS2 two button switch which is a wired in wall two button switch. It looks like it will be perfect for use cases like this, the problem is that it is an absolute bear to pair correctly so that each button works.

The second is the battery operated SmartenIT ZBWS3B 3 toggle switch combined with smart bulbs like the $15 GE link. This can be wall mounted or left flat on a nightstand. Works great, but you may not like the form factor as well.

A third alternative, although not as popular, is to install the SmartenIT zigbee dual relay in the switch box. This has the advantage of being on the official “works with SmartThings” list. The disadvantage is that it may not fit in the box. And in your case it might need significant rewiring to bring the nightstand circuit to the switch box. So I’d look at the other two first.

As a owner of both the VRCS2-MR and the ZBWS3B i can say they both work great. @JDRoberts is right the VRCS2-MR is a pain to get going and needs a little pollster love to keep it in sync (it will eventually update, it just not as fast as i’d like it), but once its going it works well. As a side note the VRCS2-MR does require a neutral. This guide my help to determine how much work adding a VCRS2-MR may be. I’d like to through 1 more device in for consideration the Aeon Minimote. It’s the smallest of the of the devices, has 4 buttons and comes in your choice of colors of black and white.

1 Like