Outdoor temperature/humidity readings?

I’d like to get the outdoor temperature and humidity, and trigger events based on this (don’t need something that senses anything else at the moment). I’ve been looking around for a simple outdoor sensor, but everything I have seen seems to be for indoor use. Does this exist?

An alternative that would work (and be much cheaper, so I think I would prefer it, actually) would be to get the info from the web for my zip through a webservice or the like. Perhaps this has been covered, but I haven’t found anything in my hunt around the site.

Thanks for any info.

Through the web ide you can add a device called the SmartWeather Station Tile. If you search the forums, you should be able to find instructions.

ST and the SmartWeather Tile use Weather Underground for their data.

For better accuracy to your home, a little trick in the implementation is that you can specify your zip code (default), city, or even SPECIFIC WEATHER STATIONS with the ST app. Simply enter “pws:” without the quotes, and where is the Nearest WU station to your home (which you can find on the wunderground.com page). Mine is pws:KMATYNGS02, for example.

(typo fixed 2014/09/14)

2 Likes

I’d also say the use the weather station tile. But, if you REALLY want to do it via a device, the AEON motion sensor is rated for outdoor use. And, in addition to motion, it reports temp, humidity, and lums as well.

Thank you for this tip! For clarification it’s pws: . I first tried paws:XXXXXXXX which didn’t work, but now I’m getting a very accurate update from the nearest weather station. Thanks.

I hope this gets to work with ST.

A very-belated thanks for the info. I ended up using this tile as recommended. One problem I ran into is it seemed to require manual intervention to update, but then I found a SmartApp which updates this tile every hour, which really did the trick.

This means towards home automation is definitely a work in progress not for the faint of heart (working on debugging a program for my 2gig CT100 thermostat now), but I am definitely enjoying it.