New user, but unable to activate used hub

Hi, everyone! I’m new to the community, and looking forward to building a smart home with SmartThings as one of the core components. It looks like there’s an excellent community of users here, so this should be a lot of fun to work with once I’m able to get started.

I bought a used hub (and a variety of sensors/switches) off of eBay. Unfortunately, this means that the hub activation code was already used. I sent an e-mail to support@smartthings.com about it, and they promptly replied asking for the serial number, activation code, and a photo of the bottom of the unit, which I provided. The support rep couldn’t get it to reactivate, though, and said he’d talk to a supervisor the following morning. That was over two days ago, and I’ve received no further replies to my support case since then. (Support request #103741)

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to move this along? I’m anxious to begin using SmartThings, but I can’t get very far with a hub that won’t activate. I’d really like to be able to start setting things up this weekend. The auction mentioned that it was one of the original Kickstarter edition models; I’m not sure if that’s contributing to the issue or not. I have the original box with the activation card, etc.

@amaiman I think ST support is the only option here. They are extremely efficient and helpful. I am sure they will get back. Bug them again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Ron you forgot that they are also good looking!

@amaiman We are working on this and will follow up on the support ticket.

3 Likes

@Aaron Thanks for jumping on this, I appreciate it! I just sent back the additional info that support/you requested. I didn’t think to try taking it apart before, but when I just looked at the circuit board, it looks like the number on that barcode doesn’t match the one on the housing, so that might have been the issue.

I’m happy to report that support sent me a new hub and I’m now up and running with SmartThings! So far I have two switches, iPhone presence, and my Nest Thermostat set up.

Also picked up an Aeon Labs whole-house energy monitor but I didn’t realize that installing it involved opening the electrical panel, so I’ll wait on that until the next time I have an electrician here (and will only have him install it if it’s code-legal, etc.)

2 Likes