New Aeon Labs Doorbell: need device type help

Anybody have any further info on this?

They have had it listed for a while.

Also, any luck with the 2Gig Doorbell that sells on amazon?

I’d love to trigger it from when a door opens in addition to the bell.

Their siren has 5 different tones, but as yet I don’t see any way to activate them.

They mentioned that doing so would require an add on wireless button, But they don’t offer one yet as far as I could see.

This is certainly preferable than just using a short fire alarm.

As I mentioned before, I have a cousin who is a firefighter, and he strongly believes that emergency alert siren sounds should be used only for “evacuate the house” type emergencies. If you use them for doorbells, notifications, someone open the door, etc., he believes that people will not respond to them appropriately when they sound for a true emergency. Just a FWIW.

Here’s the Aerotech announcement:

Here is what I was referring to:

Would be nice if you could set different audible alerts on it (one for door chime, one for door bell, and one for full out alarm volume).

I haven’t heard this to know if it is different from a fire alarm, but would hope it would be due to the lack of functionality of smoke detection.

I totally agree with you unless you can lower the volume and change the ring tone to something else totally different but I don’t tie my smoke alarm to the siren. 5 smoke detectors going off the same time is deafening already. :smile:

That’s the same siren announcement I mentioned. That’s just an indoor alarm. It does not have smoke detection. People use them for burglar alarms.

BTW I have added a doorbell FAQ since there have been many doorbell topics lately:

3 Likes

Any luck or heard anything on the 2 gig doorbell?

https://www.2gig.com/products/wireless-doorbell

I commented on it in the doorbell FAQ linked to above.

The problem is that multiple versions of this doorbell Have been around for a while. Some are direct communication, some use proprietary zigbee, and this new one is described as Z wave.

The user manual is not available yet, at least not that I found.

Some retailers say it’s just a Z wave device, in which case it might well work with smart things.

But other retailers say the doorbell communicates to the go control panel using a non-zwave frequency, and then it’s the panel that issues the Z wave commands.

I can’t tell if the panel descriptions are left over from previous versions of the doorbell or if they are accurate.

If anyone has one and can let us know if it’s actually a Z wave device, that would be great.

edited to add after further research it looks more and more to me like this doorbell is not a Z wave device, in spite of some retailers saying that it is. I think it transmits on the Honeywell/aDemco frequency, and so likely cannot be used with smart things. But if anyone knows differently, let us know.

Looks like the original design was as an add-on to their siren, but a new version is due out in June. Just saw this in my email (their site is down at the moment)

Originally designed to be an add on to our Siren, Doorbell will soon be released as its own product. It’ll feature two parts: the push button for outdoors, and a speaker system for indoors. That speaker system takes the best of Siren, including its beautiful radial pattern, and enhances it by allowing you to not just configure the inbuilt chimes, but to also upload your own in MP3 format.

Doorbell will be available to our US partners in June and after that to our EU partners.

The Update Issue.
We’ve announced three new products recently (see them here) and every newsletter we’ve sent has resulted in a lot of question about the status of some other products. We’ve read every tweet and every email. So from Smart Film to Garage Door Controller, here are all the updates you’ve been asking for.

faq-oomi

We often get asked if Aeotec makes a gateway. We don’t. Instead, our mission is to create accessories that work great with any Z-Wave gateway. One partner, who has recently had great success with custom versions of our newly announced MultiSensor 6, LED Bulb and Smart Switch 6 products, is Oomi. They’re taking advantage of Gen5’s inbuilt encryption to build a smart home system that offers exceptional home security and extends right through to your home theatre and home’s management system. They’ve already raised $400,000 after one week of crowdfunding, and we’re thrilled to have been a part of their journey. You can find out more at Indiegogo.

faq-doorbell

Originally designed to be an add on to our Siren, Doorbell will soon be released as its own product. It’ll feature two parts: the push button for outdoors, and a speaker system for indoors. That speaker system takes the best of Siren, including its beautiful radial pattern, and enhances it by allowing you to not just configure the inbuilt chimes, but to also upload your own in MP3 format.

Doorbell will be available to our US partners in June and after that to our EU partners.

faq-garage-door

With Doorbell we’ll bring Z-Wave to your front door. With Garage Door Controller we’ll bring Z-Wave to one of the most overlooked, frequently used household entrances. Like Doorbell, Garage Door Controller will come with two separate parts. One part is a sensor, capable of understanding if your garage door is opened or closed. The other part is the actual controller, capable of connecting to your garage door’s existing motor and allowing you to control it manually or via Z-Wave.

Garage Door Controller will be available to our partners in the EU and UK, Australia, New Zealand and the United States as of June.

faq-smartfilm

Smart Film has had the longest development cycle of any product we’ve ever designed. While we finished the actual film over 2 years ago, making Smart Film a product that could be DIY installed proved extremely difficult. Between the wiring of the smart hub and the installation of the film itself, Smart Film never proved as user-friendly to install as we like all of Aeotec’s products to be. But we forge on. From July, samples of Smart Film will be made available to select installation and distribution partners globally, while a full release is currently scheduled for the second half of 2015.

Also introducing…
We have one more announcement to make about one more, new product. We’re pretty excited about it. In fact, we think it’s going to open completely new doors. What is it? Stay tuned. The announcement is coming soon.

1 Like

They sure love using “coming soon”. Finally someone is making a z-wave door bell. Now one thing I hope they will get it right is the smart film. Imagine no more blinds.

Their smart film doesn’t actually darken the room significantly. All it does is provide privacy.

From their website:
Light transmittance: On (75%) Off (67%)
Haze Coefficient: On (7%) Off (87%)

Aeon Labs update

Originally designed to be an add on to our Siren,
Doorbell will soon be released as its own product. It’ll feature two
parts: the push button for outdoors, and a speaker system for indoors.
That speaker system takes the best of Siren,
including its beautiful radial pattern, and enhances it by allowing you
to not just configure the inbuilt chimes, but to also upload
your own in MP3 format.

1 Like

Will it be zwave for sure? The siren is, but I haven’t actually seen a zwave specification on the doorbell yet.

The email doesn’t specify, but it’s in an email titled Z-Wave Update with other new Z-Wave devices, so it’s likely that it is

I’m just wondering if it’s going to end up like the 2gig doorbell, where the indoor device with the chime does zwave but the doorbell to chime device connection is actually a different protocol and the button part isn’t a zwave device.

Could very well be. Hopefully Aeotec will release more details soon

Aeon Labs ZW056-A1 - Z-Wave Plus - Doorbell - Gen 5 ran across this on zwaveproduct.com. Can wait need a new doorbell will wait for this retail is 49.99, here is the details.

The Aeon Labs ZW056-A1 Doorbell supports playing MP3 music files with a press of this Doorbell. It has a 16MB flash memory that can store up to 100 ring tones. The volume can be adjusted manually via short press on the Volume Button, also you can switch the Doorbell sound to the next via long press on the Volume Button. You may change/update your Doorbell ring tone at any point in time you want by connecting your Doorbell to your PC to update the sound track on your Doorbell’s flash memory.

This Wireless Button has waterproof housing so it can be used in many weather conditions. The distance of wireless control is about 100 meters outdoors, and has a 2 year battery life that allows at least 10 Doorbell presses every day.

A lot of people waiting on this one, but it’s still in pre release. That’s why it’s showing as “out of stock.” Hopefully Aeotec will start actually shipping soon. :blush:

you can get it on amazon right now

Has anyone actually created integration of it with SmartThings yet?

1 Like