[NEEDS UPDATING] Presence Detection using DD-WRT Router Script

It depend how your network setup is. if you have a router in the middle (you should not connect the wifi access point directly to WAN access) , you forward only port 80 to the access point and you use user name and password to login. you will be protected. I know it’s not 100% secure and you should not use this if you run a bank. but for home… I don’t think it’s problem.

Guys if you don’t like it I can just remove it. if you need to help me to improve it please give a positive feedback with a solution to make it secure.

1 Like

Nothing, No different but less complicated. you can use it with any router brand.

Sorry… I didn’t mean to be so harsh… I just wanted to get a warning out quickly that this solution needs some Community “vetting”.

The non-technical user may not be aware of the risks of opening up Admin access to their Router from the WAN, especially with no SSL enabled, on the default webserver port, etc., etc…

There are various degrees of security paranoia; but I’m counting on some experienced member of the Community to come up with just a few recommended adjustments to this otherwise very clever and useful solution. Thanks!

Agree, but none technical people should understand the risk. You still can use SSL and change the port too. if you go to administration then Web Access then disable Enable Info Site, check Use HTTPS and change the default port this can increase the security. but don’t forget to change the address in line 92 too.

1 Like

I presume you meant to say that “**non-**technical people should understand the risk”?

Realistically, that’s not a safe assumption. Sure, there’s a certain minimum level of technical knowledge required to be using DD-WRT (etc.), but many folks are very clever at following detailed instructions (which is great for everyone!), but, as the saying goes “they know just enough to get themselves into trouble”.

I keep getting the following error:

{“error”:true,“type”:“AccessDenied”,“message”:“This request is not authorized by the specified access token”}

when i test in the browser but im using the smartapp access token that was generated.

Please help

How do you test the script? im not sure how to debug the script

Im getting access denied when trying to add a new device (manually from IDE) and selecting the Toggle Presence Device handler from the Type drop down. Any ideas anyone?

I’ve stopped using the script for a while, so unfortunately, I don’t really remember how to use it or test it anymore. Sorry!