[OBSOLETE] MyQ Garage Door Device Type

@ppochap Darn I was hoping that was the issue. Doors and locks section?? I didn’t think the new update had that on the Dashboard. Are you using the old version or do you have an android??

I tried force closing this all day. I’ll try @essidle idea once I get home.

Right now I’m showing a ? with UNKNOWN below it. I can change the preferences, refresh, use smartapps and show activity. I just can’t get ST’s to recognize MyQ.

@essidle what do I put for the door ID???

Thanks
Anthony

I am using the latest iOS version. The “Doors & Locks” is still in the dashboard. They actually added more categories in the dashboard the last update. I’m not sure if what I did is the solution to your problem but it seemed to work for me. I am the furthest from an expert, so anything I’m telling you is just from my own trial and error.

After creating the device on the ST webpage I opened the ST app on my iPhone and went right to my “Things”. This is where I seen the new device and the status of " Not Found" . From this point I opened the preferences of the new device and input my information and hit done. From there I tapped Things in the upper left corner to take me back to the Dashboard. In the Dashboard I went to “Doors and Locks” and then tapped the gear in the upper right corner. From there I selected add a door. I created a garage door where is ask “What type of door is it?” From this point I tapped “edit door name and devices” and used the newly created device from Things as my open/close sensor and Garage door opener relay. Then hit done. When I went back to Things the status was updated and working as I wanted it to. I’m sure I did this all wrong but it’s working and that’s all I care about lol. Thanks Adam!!!

1 Like

Thank you again for creating this. I tried to figure out how to, but could never get the code right. By studying yours, I realize what I needed to do and learned a lot.

I set up the devicetype, created the device then and entered preferences in the IDE for the username, pword, doorname, etc. However, on the Android app, I do not have a preferences button. Is that normal, or is something not correct.

PS the app identifies my door, shows the correct status and operates when I tap the button. Its working, just trying to understand everything.

Scottie

@ppochap I got it!! This is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Also got my Nest up and running!!

1 Like

@antman2 It is cool!!! I’ve been wanting this for awhile! I glad you got it working. I have my door setup as part of my goodnight action…All my lights turn off, doors lock and garage door shuts. I love it.

@essidle I can’t thank you enough.

1 Like

It’s amazing… i’ve been on the forum a long time waiting for this news. This and my 35 TCP lights I’m in heaven. Bro I have 2 Schlage locks and now this garage door I’m a happy camper.

Now I need to get my actions set up to the way I like. Sounds like a project tonight with a single malt! LOL

2 Likes

@scottie You’re welcome; thank you. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask, I had to do quite a bit of trial and error to figure some things out that were missing from the documentation.

I use an iPhone and don’t have easy access to an Android device. I’m not aware of any differences; if the prefs button was a recent addition I’m sure it won’t be long for Android. If it’s missing on Android than I guess that makes my advice to use the Prefs button to force a discovery a little daft…

Adam

@essidle Adam, is there a way to see the garage door on the dashboard??

Thanks
Anthony

The Garage Door door type in SmartThings requires a SmartThings-compatible relay. Since the MyQ doesn’t function as a relay, we can’t use the “Door Garage Close When Leaving” and the “Door Garage Open When Home” SmartApps.

What needs to happen to get it to work with the existing actions and SmartApps related to garage doors? Is there a way to masquerade as a relay and translate the open/close commands? Do we need to create a new door type? Or do we just have to create new actions and SmartApps for the MyQ?

@antman2, you can see your garage door on the dashboard but you won’t be able to open and close it from there. Under “Doors & Locks” tap the gear icon and select your garage door. From there, select “Edit door name and devices” and choose your garage door for “Open/close sensor” to add it to the “Right Now” slide. Optionally, if you want to see it on the “Shortcuts” screen choose your Garage Door for “Garage door opener relay” as well. Again, you won’t actually be able to open and close the door from the Shortcuts screen, but you will be able to see its current state.

I’m using and iPhone and if I open the Door with the App it shows opening, then open , then unknown and it just stays that way. Only way to get it back to show status is to delete device id and then read and it works again until I open the door…

Adam,

Got it… Decade complete! I am now batman! The update actually fixed the reporting “door_not_found” issue. I no longer have to refresh constantly to poll status.

I went ahead and did just that and submitted it for for public availability. Until then, it can be found at

Works like a charm!

3 Likes

So does the MyQ also act as an open/close sensor or do I need to get a separate one for this?

@essidle has set up the device type as a contact sensor. You won’t need a separate one.

Update: The below may not work yet; I just tested in the dashboard and there are a few issues with status reporting.

Update #2: Pushed an update to GitHub that supports better Dashboard compatibility in Lights and Switches.

Since the MyQ Door implements the Switch capability you can add it in the “Lights and Switches” dashboard category and be able to operate it that way. Then you would be able to use “Turn on when people arrive” and “Turn off when people depart” Smart Apps to get the same effect. I haven’t done much testing with the doors in the Dashboard, so it may need some tweaking to behave properly.

I’m still looking at trying to get them into the Doors and Locks section. There doesn’t seem to be just a Garage Door capability to implement to make it work easily, so it requires some more research. I don’t even see Doors and Locks in my Dashboard yet, so getting that to show is the first priority when I have time to devote to it.

Adam

Hi,

I am having difficulty adding my MyQ to Smarthings as the status says Not Found. I followed the instructions on this thread and I get the below in my logs. I tried adding it with Device ID 259 which is what shows in the logs when I created the device, but I still get the same error. Also, am I supposed to put for Hub my Home Hub or leave it blank? I know when I did for my Nests I was supposed to leave it blank. I took out the security token info below as well for security purposes.

c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:43 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toLong() on null object @ line 382
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:43 PM: debug API Error: [ReturnCode:109, ErrorMessage:Device does not exist]
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:43 PM: debug Sec Token: ******
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:41 PM: debug Logging In to Webservice
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:41 PM: debug Refreshing Door State
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:41 PM: debug MyQ Garage door Polling
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:33 PM: debug Door ID Override: 259
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:33 PM: debug Getting MyQ Devices
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:33 PM: debug Sec Token: ******
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:33 PM: debug Logging In to Webservice
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:33 PM: debug Updating MyQ Garage Door
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:31 PM: debug Device Discovery found no supported door devices
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:31 PM: debug Device Discovered: Type ID: 49, Device Name: House, Device ID: 201785978
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:31 PM: debug Device Discovered: Type ID: 259, Device Name: Marc, Device ID: 50568819
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:30 PM: debug Getting MyQ Devices
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:30 PM: debug Sec Token: ******
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:28 PM: debug Logging In to Webservice
c914caab-5d84-4f2e-b7af-9d50c2cbe133 3:22:28 PM: debug Updating MyQ Garage Door

BTW - I have a Chamberlain MyQ if that makes any difference. I think it’s the same as the Liftmaster one just different branding on it. Still having the same issue. Anyone else get this working with the latest code?

@mbhelfman, after looking at your logs, I can see your Device ID is 50568819 and your Device Name is Marc. Give one of those or both a shot.

Thanks, that did it! I was putting 259 thinking that was my Device ID! Anyway, when it showed up, it said “Closed”, which it was. I then opened it from Things and now it says “Unknown” and I can’t close it with Smarthings. The logs show " Door Status: unknown". The timer for the door being open is working correctly (i.e: 3 minutes), so communication is working partially. Any ideas?