Looking for devices support 220V and do not need neutral wire

Hi all,

I’m from Vietnam and over here we use 220V 2-pin plugs, which means no neutral wire for me.

Can anyone help to suggest me a compatible in-wall switch and smart plug?

Will these one work?

First things first:

The SmartThings hub is currently made only for the U.S. Zwave frequency. That may change for version 2, we don’t know.

But different countries use different z wave frequencies, so the first thing you need to figure out is what z wave frequency is legal in your country.

After that you can look at the voltage requirements.

See:

Second, both the switches you linked to require a neutral wire, and neither is rated for 220v. This is in the product descriptions.

Most zwave wall switches will require a neutral, so you may to look at plug in modules instead. Also remember zwave light bulbs usually act as zwave repeaters as well.

Aeon Labs manufactures many popular zwave products for both the US and Asia, you might try getting in touch with them and see what they suggest.

Why are you looking at the American supplier then? You should be looking for the European vendors instead. There’s plenty of European companies selling 220V Z-Wave gear, for example, smaart.haus - The Art of Automation

Get yourself Fibaro Home Center 2, if you can afford it, and save yourself a ton of greef.

http://www.zwave4u.com/Controller/Gateways/Fibaro-Home-Center-2-FIB_HOMEC2::12261.html

1 Like

Hi Geko,

I guess the reason is quite simple… Look at Fibaro website and Google search results, there’s nothing to suggest that it is a working product.

Just kidding, I can get shipping from US at cheaper rate. Also there are a few things with SmartThings that I am interested in.

Thank you for your input. Legality should not be a problem here.
Well I guess I have to restart all researches again and forget about this SmartThings then.

after a second thought, actually the current deal breaker for me is the in-wall switch voltage problem. Most of what I want to do for my home is related to the lights auto on/off.

Using light pulp like HUE Philips is not a good idea because not all lights in the house are designed to use a pulp like that (a round tupe instead perhaps). Also because light pulp is not a very durable product and it may need to be replaced often.

Aeon Labs seems to be the answer.

JD - dont forget some of us European folk got EU hubs and sensors from Kickstarter :wink:

I know–that’s why I said “currently.” :blush:

But since the OP doesn’t have a hub yet, if he placed an order the one he would get would be US frequency. There may be other frequencies offered in the future, but who knows?

Also, while most of Europe and China use 868.4, Hong Kong, Malaysia, South Korea, Russia, and India are different yet again.

Since the OP has expressed a desire for the cheapest possible solutions and lives in Viet Nam, I wasn’t sure where he might be buying equipment from.

Guys, that’s my wife in the avatar, not me.

I don’t think there’s even a rule for z-wave frequency here in VN. Even if there is, no one would even care…

I think this one from Aeon Labs may be the solution for me:

Already emailed them to ask for where to buy the Asia version of it.

1 Like

As long as you are going to stay with the European frequency, Duwi (also spelled Duewi) is a very popular inexpensive zwave brand for homes that don’t have neutral wires for lighting. You can find much discussion of Duwi devices on both the Vera and Vesternet/Fibaro forums.

Duwi has a handheld button remote that can act as a primary controller, or you can use the Duwi switches with most zwave controllers that operate on the European frequency.

I think the Aeotec are higher quality and use newer technology, but Duwi are also worth considering, especially for situations where no neutral is available and rewiring is difficult.

http://store.zwaveeurope.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=31&language=en

1 Like

Thank you JDRoberts for all the info.

I may overthink the neutral wire issue. If I’m using single phase AC power, one of the 2 wires must be the neutral wire right? (the other one is supposed to be the phase wire).

As for frequency and stuff, I’d prefer to stay with the US standards for its wide variety and newer technologies in general (e.g. this SmartThings’ custom code support).

If you’re going to use the US frequency, you still have to deal with the voltage issue, neutral or not.

There are areas of the world, most typically South America and the Caribbean, that use the same zwave frequency as the U.S. but 220 - 240 voltage. It’s very challenging to find devices that will work there. It’s worth asking Aeotec if they offer that configuration.

@jayle hello, you have same problem with me here in Indonesia.
We don’t have rules for zwave frequency, or no one care about it :smile:

There’s a big problem when we use US zwave freq but using 220 VAC electricity.

All my device I use is listed 120 VAC max, but it’s working on 220 VAC
Here it is :

1. Smartthings’ Smart Power Outlet. Manufatured by Centralite.
    Already contact Centralite support for explanation why it’s working on 220 VAC but the spec written 120 VAC ?
    They say "Can work doesn’t mean safe to use"
    But I still use it, but the max watt I ever use is only 25 watt

2. Aeon Labs Micro Energy Switch
    http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Edition/dp/B008VWAPU4/&tag=smart0f3-20
    Just like Smart Power Outlet, it jus working fine on me

For HUE bulb, since they use zigbee, there’s no different of zogbee freq, so just buy it from Singapore that use 220 VAC

Hopefully ST launch international version of HUB :smile:

Hi Nico,

Do you know where to buy all these things in Singapore? SLS?

I wouldn’t take the risk to use 120 VAC device at my home though.

I only buy Philips HUE in Singapore, other device I buy from US.

For now, ST Hub is only support US Z-wave freq, AFAIK there’s no such device that using US Z-wave freq and 220 VAC.
Device that use US z-wave freq is always say working on 120 VAC not 220 VAC
But some device that I mention before is still working with 220 VAC

Just like me, living with 220 VAC but wanted to use product with US standard, is hard to find the device that fit for our need

Working with 230 VAC today doesn’t mean it won’t catch fire tomorrow if it’s not rated for that load.

I would follow the manufacturer’s advice.

For Aeon Labs Micro Energy Switch I’m pretty sure it safe, because it use voltage regulator chip that support until 235 VAC

But yes, follow the specification is the safest way to use devices

1 Like

I received the answer from Aeon Labs: Yes, the US version of the micro and switches do work on 220VAC.

I guess they won’t say that if it’s not safe right?

Aeon Labs is a well known, reputable company that sells in many countries. If they said their devices are OK for your set up, they should be OK. :blush:. So that’s good news!