Kwikset Zigbee Locks

Hey Everyone!

[first post! :smiley:]

So i was super sad to find there was no zigbee integration with the kwikset locks (I bought the ā€œwrongā€ lock). So i figured iā€™d take a stab at this.

Iā€™m currently using this with the 910 kwikset smartcode lock (i tried to make it semi-generic): device type

things are pretty rough right now. but it locks, unlocks, reports battery status, temperature (whaaaat?). I donā€™t think its properly updating status 100% of the time, so i wouldnā€™t recommend relying on it for reports of lock/unlock status 100% yet.

Iā€™ve only spent a few hours on it so far. Iā€™m sure iā€™ll make frequent updates soon. Let me know what your experience is.

7 Likes

Iā€™m using the 910, it is a Zwave lock I think not Zigbee. Iā€™m just using a Zwave Lock.

Some of them are zwave. the oneā€™s you can buy at bestbuy are zigbee (from what iā€™ve seen)

Just bought a 910 Zigbee on ebay! Iā€™m excited to try it out thanks for making the device type @sebirdman

@sebirdman I found the conformity document for this lock and it outlines all of the clusters that the lock supports!
http://old.zigbee.org/DesktopModules/ZigbeeCompanyProducts/ZCP_UploadFile.aspx?FilePath=6351526374851679012Kwikset_Deadbolt_Zigbee_Lock_NTS_HA12_Certs_FinalReport_R0.pdf

@ajd394 ooooh that could be interesting. Do you have the pdf? that link doesnā€™t seem to be working for me.

@sebirdman

The ZigBee Aliance is updating its product database but the old one is still available here:
http://old.zigbee.org/Products/ByStandard/ZigBeeHomeAutomation.aspx

This specific product is:
http://old.zigbee.org/DesktopModules/ZigbeeCompanyProducts/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=888&Ctrl=ViewProducts

click on the ā€œconformity documentā€ for the PDF

I got the proprietary control4 version by accident so im still waiting for the lock. However once I get it Iā€™d love to collaborate on the ST device type. I see the github so Ill do that once i get it!

Just got my zigbee lock. Excited to try out the device type!

@ajd394 sweet! i just pushed some fixes iā€™ve been working on to the github.

@sebirdman Just sent an email to the Kwikset product manager requesting their zigbee implementation information! I have been using the device type and it works well for the basics! I am trying to get up to speed with groovy, ZCL, device type programing.

@ajd394 awesome! let me know what they say. I think the main things to get working would be changing the lock passcode remotely and a way to push updates to smartthings instead of pollling for status.

ajd394, you mentioned:

I have that same Control4 Zigbee Kwikset lock that I have used with Control4 for several years and I would ā€˜likeā€™ to switch to using this lock with ST. Iā€™m not clear from your post, did you found out this Control4 version was incompatible and exchange it for a ā€˜genericā€™ Kwikset Zigbee lock that does work with ST? Any idea if I am just out of luck trying to use the Control4 Zigbee Kwikset lock?

I was hoping to use the DeviceType by sebirdman to try to make this lock work with ST.

@bfmorgan i returned the c4 version without testing it. I would be interested to know if it works with this device type! I did some quick research to understand what make c4 zigbee different at the application layer but i is unclear. I wouldnt be surprised if they were the same/similar device.

I saw the device type code by sebirdman on github, but I did not have any idea what to do with it. I did a quick look at the ST developers info and saw the explanations of building apps and device types. I built the sample app to control a light from a door open/close switch and it worked fine with a light on my system, so I did the app correctly.

But for the devicetype by sebirdman, I could not see if there was any way to access it so I just did a copy and paste into a newly created empty devicetype on the ST site. But I am not quite sure on how to install it. When I go to install, the options are ā€˜virtualā€™ or one of the (non-lock) devices that I already have installed.

I thought that I needed to have a devicetype on the system (ā€˜installedā€™ somehow) ā€˜beforeā€™ I can pair my lock with the ST hub. So Iā€™m not clear how I am supposed to load the devicetype since I seem to only have options to install it for devices already on my system or for a ā€˜virtualā€™ device.

Am I missing something about the process of installing a devicetype?

Once youā€™ve copied the code in and hit ā€˜saveā€™, then click ā€˜Publishā€™ -> ā€˜For Meā€™. That ā€œinstallsā€ the DeviceType into ST for you to use. The virtual stuff on the right is for testing the code only; it creates a virtual environment for testing, so ignore that.

Now that itā€™s installed, you can pair your lock. It might automatically find and use the new DeviceType; but it might show up as just a ā€œThingā€ or unknown. If it doesnā€™t automatically select the new DeviceType, then go to the ā€˜My Devicesā€™ tab in the IDE and click on your lock. On the next page, choose ā€˜editā€™ and it will let you use a drop down to assign your new DeviceType. You should be good to go!

Thanks! It took a lot of time and trial and error, but I got the lock attached to ST as a ā€˜Thingā€™ and I manually applied the device typeā€¦
ā€¦it doesnā€™t actually work (when I take actions form the ST app screen nothing happens on the actual lock), but at least now I can see debug logs and maybe I can figure out whether the problem is a difference in the Kwikset Control4 Zigbee lock or something else.

Thanks again.
I will report back when I make progressā€¦or give up.

1 Like

Good luck! I think there were attempts at getting other Control4 devices to work with no success.

Can anyone confirm which zigbee locks work well with smartthings ?

The official ā€œworks withā€ list has only zwave locks, no zigbee ones.

http://www.smartthings.com/product/works-with-smartthings/

Yeah thatā€™s why I asked. I think there are some apps out in st made by community that enable zigbee