iOS 1.7.1 Mobile Presence Issues

Guys, if you hard-close the app from the iphone and then check the Location Services, Smartthings shows a purple outline, indicating its still using Geofencing. I just tested this on iphone 6 plus. The issue may not be what was said earlier. Support come up with anything yet?

Support is investigating; but, as I mentioned, it tricky for them to understand whatā€™s going wrong.

I agree that this is a rough one. If it works then it works and else not. I joined ST early September last year and iPhone any iOS version on any ST version has failed me only a day or two using iPhone 5ā€™s earlier and 6ā€™s now. Weird is always at the same spot whichever part of geofence we enter or exit. If we are taking a walk in and out of the geofence it does trigger appropriately. Guess we got lucky. I am sure it is flawed somewhere. I know how to fail it though the exact spot if I use optimumā€™ free wifi for customers for NJā€¦ But it still triggers when it switches from public low signal wifi to LTE in my home zone.

Continuing the discussion from iOS 1.7.0 & 1.71 - Release Notes - 04/07/2015:

I, like most people, have been having issues with the Geo Tracking in SmartThings though is most of the time detects when I leave and what I get home just not within the Geo Track area around my house. Sometimes Iā€™m a couple miles away on the highway and sometimes Iā€™m in my driveway before it picks me up.

Now, for the new iOS 1.7.0/1.7.1 app has completely killed what was at least somewhat usable but now it doesnā€™t detect crap. My wife was home ALL day today, at least according to ST but in reality she was at work. I got home but it never detected me, didnā€™t disarm my SmartAlarm, wouldnā€™t update my dashboard, then said my Hub was offline. I got into the IDE and told it to reboot the hub three times and finally said it was back online. After that I had to change the mode to and from home several times before it said ā€˜oh wait, you are homeā€™. It also said the alarm was disarmed but when I checked the alarm status it was still armed until I changed modes once again. This entire process took 20 minutes of me sitting in my driveway. It took my dashboard about another 15 minutes to tell me that I am was home even though I had already received my text. My goal was to not cause an incident that I posted about a month or so about my siren going off nonstop because of ST slow downs that weekend.

Please excuse my current and continued frustrations with ST but once again another day of crap with ST. How do I go back to the previous very of the ST iOS app because this version is crap. Nothing but issues since I installed it. If they call this improvements then they need to close up shop and go home. Iā€™ve been very hopeful but been disappointed at every turn. I guess I could open up a support ticket if I want to wait days for each reply and hear about how the Geo Tracking is an Apple issue and not ST. Apple map, Google map and the ST app where I select the distance from my house all detect me properly so not an iPhone issue, itā€™s a ST issue. Crap, crap, crap crap!

Hey Sean,

You should absolutely send a support ticket in if you havenā€™t already. A few people are describing similar issues. If there is something on our side, then it will be easier to track down if we get more people reporting it to us.

Sorry if weā€™ve been slow to respond in the past. Itā€™s not typical I can promise you. Shoot us a note and weā€™ll do better this time, even if we canā€™t get it solved right away.

Thanks for working with us.

4 Likes

Iā€™m having the same issues. Everything work fine until the last two updates. Now no mobile presence works at all.

FYI - I had the exact same issue with my wifeā€™s phone, but not with mine. One of the key differences is that I am in the app regularly and she isnā€™t. When I got home tonight I asked her for her phone and tried to open the app and got the ā€œsunny fieldā€ screen. Shut off her phone completely, rebooted the hub while the phone was off, turned on her phone, and it was back to normal. Hope that helps.

Same issues with.both my 6 and wife 5s presence stopped working with this latest update, gee this is becoming so useless.

Add me to the list having issues.

Iā€™m not having iOS presence issues, but I am having android presence issues.

At this point ST support is aware of the issues we (some of us) are having, and they are investigating.
Rather than adding more to this thread, I would suggest you do contact ST support to let them know you have such issues - as that may give ST development a better understanding of whatā€™s going on.

So, I guess Iā€™m suggesting that we stop adding posts here - as at this point I doubt they would help, other than making us feel a bit better knowing that we are sharing the painā€¦

Personally, Iā€™m investigating the robustness of the Life 360 integration as a possible alternative. But, again, I wouldnā€™t use this thread to start yet another ā€œwhat can I do to better handle presence detectionā€ discussion.

1 Like

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. My wifeā€™s presence sensor is still showing as though she is at home and she isnā€™t. Iā€™ll open up a support ticket.

Yea I just contacted support. My wifeā€™s phone is still not updating presence in the background. Only difference is she has a iPhone 6 while I have a 5S. (The correctly sized phone, not the overside ones. ;-P)

My roommate and I both have iPhones. Presence detection worked great for over a year but hers has been failing to detect her arrival for a couple of weeks now. This morning, mine failed to detect when I left. I think it has only failed on my phone once in the past. Iā€™ve been in touch with support.

Iā€™m another who has issues on my iPhone 6 since last update. Before that it has always been solid for me.

Same issues here also on iPhone 5S. Have to force close app and relaunch before it realizes I am home. Get a nice picture of a sunny field sometimes to cheer me up but have close that also before the app will work. Submitted ticket and hoping for speedy resolution.

1 Like

Same exact scenario here. Galaxy Note 4 on Verizon as well as iPhone 6 on Verizon. At times, while Iā€™m sitting in the chair it thinks Iā€™ve left and starts changing modes. Its even worse on my dogs because I have our arrivals tied to Sonos to play tracks when either one of us arrive. The dogs know the songs and start barking and running to the door and Iā€™m already here.

Developers, it is not just iPhone thatā€™s an issue

That made me laugh because my dogs have learned to get excited about the door lock actuation so they went bananas when we were home and my wifeā€™s phone finally realized she was home yesterday. They got excited for nothing, and almost woke the BABY!!!

Not cool ST :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am now using a new approach to occupancy indication that handles the ā€œcoming and goingā€ issue caused by random drop offs. Doesnā€™t help with the sunny field issue, though, or anything related to it. And the method Iā€™m using requires combining a virtual presence indicator, an actual geopresence detector, a physical sensor, and multiple modes, so itā€™s a pain to set up. But it does keep from driving the dogs crazy. :wink::dog:

I sent in a support request before finding this thread. My wife works outside the house, always has her iPhone, but ST hasnā€™t recognized as leaving for several days. Tonight I saw the app update and put 2+2 together. This verifies my thought.