Help with basic GE z-wave switch wiring

Hey gang

I see that this is an old thread but I’m in the midst of “trying” to wire in two GE In wall Smart Switch model # 12727.

Both are going to separate light fixture in different rooms that are ceiling fan with standard lights incandescent bulbs.

In the junction box for the current switch (non-smart) I have 1 set of wires coming in Black, White and Bare Ground.

Pretty sure that the black is the hot (bought a tester but t doesn’t work and going back to Lowe’s)

I’ve tried multiple variation to get the switch to work (yes I have two new smart switches to try in the event one was bad)

I can get the switch to actually make a click sound when it is actuated on or off but the lights do not come on nor does the fan work.

It actually was recognized by the smartthings hub but still not joy.

For what it’s worth the GE switch has LOAD and LINE on one side and TRAVEL and NEUTRAL on the other and GROUND at the top

I’m scratching my head more then normal any thought?

Do you have the neutral connected to the switch. I just installed a GE 17724 yesterday and working flawlessly so far with the neutral connected.

How was the original switch hooked up? Were both the white and black wires hooked to the switch? If so you are out of luck since you don’t have a neutral coming into the switch box. Basically that switch is cutting the positive line.

Yeah the white and black where connected to the switch and the bare copper ground.

The junction box that this switch is in has three other switches. One of them is a three way one a on/off for an outlet and the other a on/off for a hallway light.

Any thoughts on getting a neutral wire to this connected switch or is that even possible

Flip the breaker that powers this switch to see if the outlet or hallway light are on the same circuit. If so you can use the neutral from those switches, assuming there is a neutral wire in this junction box. If not, unfortunately you are out of luck without pulling a wire from your fan to your switch.

Thank you. I’ll take a look at it tonight… Ahhh the joys of home automation!

What is the age of the home and/or wiring? if you don’t have a neutral, you would have to pull one. In our house, the lights are run through on a loop, so no neutral in the box. I’m going to be pulling all new wire soon though (hopefully).

The house was built in 1990 it’s had some remodel done prior to our purchase so I’m not sure whats in the wall. I want to say in the junction box I saw a series of white wires bundled and capped will explore that tonight

About my luck by $150 worth of switches and not able to use them :frowning:

Another person here chiming in on issues with the GE Z-Wave dimmers. I have quite a few single-pole Z-Wave dimmer setups which work great, however when it comes to the 3-way setup, I can only get the master dimmer to work; the “add-on” does not function. Conveniently, the 2 circuits that are giving me trouble have their Master switches located in (1) 2-gang junction box with a single neutral bundle for the entire box; both circuits are on the same breaker. For each master dimmer, I have the Line, Load, Neutral, Ground, and red traveller wires connected. In each of the “add-on” dimmers, I have the black Load wires nutted together, and the neutral, red traveller, and ground connected to the switch. I have been able to identify that none of the dimmers are faulty by swapping each dimmer such that it is the Master in the circuit. Any ideas?

I’ve not hooked up a three way switch, but I see that the GE ones come as a switch and an add on. Is there a chance that two “master” switches won’t work together and you need an add on or slave switch?

Thanks for that! Going to try 1 add-on to make sure that does the trick before I buy a bunch of them.

It’s not possible to have 2 master switches in a 3 ways. Also it’s not cost effective to go this route. Figuring out your wiring configuration is the hardest part hence so many people having problem with their smart switches.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in updating, however using the add-on switch did the trick!

3 Likes

Saved yourself a couple bucks too!

1 Like

Finally got around to hooking up a GE (old Iris Brand) On/Off switch (45637) to two fluorescent lights (each light has two fluorescent tubes).

The switch seems to be working - blue light turns on when switch is off and I’ve paired with ST hub. I can hear it clicking when I turn the switch off and on.

Only problem is that the lights aren’t turning on. I had to replace the tunes and noticed I had 34w before and these are 40w. Don’t see anything else different.

Anyone have any suggestions? :frowning:

Nevermind - I only have three wires available, so apparently it’s not going to work.

Unfortunately they are fluorescent lights so I’m not sure what other options I have…

When you say only three wires, do you mean no neutral?

The Leviton DZS15 Is a universal zwave switch that usually works well with fluorescents, but it requires a neutral.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=DZS15-1LZ&section=66154

What kind of automation/control were you looking for with these? Turn on on a schedule? Turn on when a motion sensor is tripped? Turn on when someone arrives home? Or?

The reason why I ask is that lag would impact some of these more than others.

Yep - doesn’t look like I have a neutral.

I was hoping to have the lights turn on when I pull up in the driveway, as they are near the back door.

At the very least I was hoping to be able to turn off/on when I’m away from home.

Looks like with no neutral I’m out of luck though.

Maybe I’ll just get a couple Hue lightstrips and totally ignore the tube lights. :slight_smile:

For those use cases, you could get a lutron Caseta switch and use IFTTT for indirect integration with SmartThings. The problem is you would also need a Caseta Smart Bridge to get the Internet integration, so that would probably be too much if all you need is a single switch.

Hello,

Saw this thread and I also need help setting up a GE Z-wave toggle switch ZW4003.

Current setup is a single-pole toggle switch which has black, white, and bare wires.

I don’t know how to wire the 3 wires to the new z-wave switch which requires 4 wires: This switch gets power from another switch.

I tried to no success:
old white - new white (neutral)
old black - z-wave line
old bare - z-wave ground
What do i do with the LOAD?

Thanks,
Tim