Hello, Home - Can it close a garage door?

Hi Ben,

Can you send me the link to your post with the “Is It Closed?” source code? I want to test it out on my newly integrated garage door.

It is just above.

Not worth it though as it is Insteon (SmartThings has no insteon support).

Good to know. I eventually rolled my own with an Arduino and some relays, wires and reed switches.

Hi all - I just created the Is It Closed? app in my dev console and installed it. I am using a Linear FS20Z-1 Z-Wave in Wall Fixture Module (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ER6MH22/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to actuate my garage door, and the Ecolink Z-Wave Wireless Tilt Sensor (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HGVJRX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to sense Open/Closed position. Everything is working ok with opening and closing when I come and go, but I had the same problem as the OP. At night, when I trigger Night mode in Hello Home, if my garage door was shut already, it would open, because the system wasn’t checking open/closed status first. So, I found this thread and installed the Smart App. I see it successfully installed in the ST app, and I see when I run the test in the dev console, that it correctly shows the current open/closed status of the garage door. I chose the correct mode to trigger the check (in my case, Night mode).

However, last night, when I triggered Night mode again, the garage door was closed, and the app didnt work and Hello, Home opened the garage door. Has anyone else had issues? Can anyone help with something obvious I might be missing as to why “Is It Closed?” isn’t fixing this for me?

It sounds like you’re still using Hello, Home Night action to close the garage. Is It Closed? simply warns you the garage was left open, it can’t prevent the Night mode actions from occurring. It’s a matter of debate among users whether it’s safe to have it close itself anyways.

You have two options, both require disabling Hello, Home Night action from controlling the door.

1. Use Is It Closed? to simply warn you the door was left open, then manually close it via the app or another means.
  2. Alter Is It Closed? to close the door for you if it detects it open.

I believe several other users have done option 2.

Gotcha. Ok, so what I’m trying to do is keep the door CLOSED if it is already closed when I trigger Night mode with Hello, Home. Night mode is already actuating the relay on the door for me, but the issue I have is that it’s not smart enough to keep the door closed if it is already closed.

It hit my head originally because my Schlage door lock DOES have those smarts. Last night my regular back door (with the Schlage lock on it) was already locked when I triggered Night mode in Hello, Home, and Hello Home gives me a message that says “I’ve confirmed that your Back Door Kitchen is locked as you requested.” So with the lock, it is checking current status first. If it’s locked, it doesn’t try to lock it again.

I am looking for the same exact thing with the garage door.

**When I trigger Night mode in Hello, Home:

If it’s open, trigger the relay to close it.

If it’s closed, DON’T trigger the relay (which opens it again).**

@scottinpollock and other veterans have a brilliant garage door app. Why don’t you use that. Works for me forever. Requires only the non magnetic part of ST multi on your garage door. Search the community.

Hey Ron - thanks for the note. I am using the Ecolink Wireless tilt sensor to do the same thing as the ST multi. That’s not my issue. I have searched the community but cannot locate a garage door app that does what I am asking for (check status first, and only close the door IF it’s open).

I think @scottinpollock 's app is used for closing the door automatically after a certain time at night. I could in theory use that, but not if I want my garage door closed right when I go to bed. I could, for instance use his app to automatically close my garage door at midnight every night, but if I normally go to bed at 10pm, I don’t want the door open that whole time while I am sleeping.

I’ll keep looking for anyone who has created an app that can do this, but haven’t found anything yet.

Sorry about the confusion. This is what I use for Chamberlain MyQ… The device type and SmartApp with authors are listed below. Never failed me as yet. But this is not hooked to any mode or so. I use it to manually open and close the door. It appears in ST app wherever there is a door related action/activity… as a Garage door and I have also set to send me push/text when opened/closed along with playing notification on Sonos.

I realize you are trying to do something totally different.

Device type:

*  MyQ Garage Door
 *  Copyright 2014 Adam Heinmiller
 *	Recognition:
 *	@SteveGanz - Exceptional testing and feedback
 *	@StorageAnarchy - Integration with dashboard "Doors and Locks" section
 *	@JimRobertsemail - Craftsman Assurelink compatability settings

SmartApp:

/**
     *  Refresh MyQ
     *  Copyright 2014 Scottin Pollock / Barry A. Burke     *
     */
    definition(
            name: "Refresh MyQ",
            namespace: "Convenience",
            author: "Scottin Pollock & Barry Burke",
            description: "Refreshes the MyQ device type when acceleration is sensed and when it stops, so as to keep ST aware of manual actions.",
            category: "Convenience",
            iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/garage_contact.png",
            iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/garage_contact@2x.png"
        )

For anyone finding this thread - I just wanted to update with the solution I found that fixed my problem, which, to review…was that:

I have my garage doors (Linear relays and Ecolink tilt sensors set up) to close automatically when I put my house in Night mode using the “Good Night!” Hello, Home command. The problem was, it wasn’t smart enough to check my Ecolink Tilt sensor first to check for Open/Closed status, so sometimes it would actually open the door when I activated Night mode.

I found the shared app called “Garage Automatic Closing” that will check for open closed status, and close your door when you trigger a certain mode (Night Mode, in my case). Then, I removed the action of closing the garage door as a part of the “Good Night” Hello, Home command.

Works like a charm now. When I trigger “Night Mode,” my garage doors only close if they are already open when the command is triggered. If they are closed, they stay closed.

4 Likes

Which Linear relay are you using? Thanks in advance for the help.

1 Like
1 Like

Hi @Luke_Perrie,

Take a look at my project. Hope it helps:

How do i get to the browse smartapps? is that on the mobile?

Hey @Luke_Perrie can you provide the smartapp you are using I been looking for something like what you are running for a while and came across your post thanks

Hey man- in the end I just had to bite the bullet and buy the Linear opener that’s an actual garage door opener. This set up that I had in this post was never even close to reliable. The ecolink tilt sensor would false open all the time and it was horrible. Plus, you could never tell ST that it’s an actual garage door, so it couldnt open or close. Only “trigger” on and back off.

Luke

I use the linear fz1 from lowes for 15 dollars. I was going to set up the ridiculous garage door app but felt unsecured with an app that had access to opening things automatically. My solution is the garage left open x minutes which notifies me and allows me to manually close from wherever I am. It’s also configured on my house shut down AND goodnight routines which once me and the wife leave or there’s no activity for 30 minutes or I use my goodnight phrase/button it will turn everything off and either close the garage or confirm garage is closed. It’s pretty simple and reliable but still requires some hands on at times but since my install it’s saved my butt several times lol.

Thanks Luke for the clarification unfortunately my current garage door is not compatible with the Linear garage door system