GE Launches Seriously Cheap Wink Connected Bulb

I managed to snag a 6 pack of these this morning at my local HD. No one had a clue what I was talking about when I asked for them but store showed 11 in stock. Somehow I got lucky enough to have a manager up front who said “I think there’s a UPS box in the back office with a few samples”… it had a sticker that said “Q3 Home Automation Promo” and they let me grab whatever I wanted. The box really only contained the A19 GE Link bulbs and the Leviton Z-Wave Dimmer model DZMX1. I decided to grab two of those, however those appear easy to find at places like Amazon and others.

Like the other reports above I decided to pair directly with my ST hub and it worked perfectly. It paired as a Zigbee switch and rather than change the device type to Zigbee Dimmer I changed it to “Zigbee Hue Bulb” and it worked flawlessly. On/Off as well as dimming work perfectly. Obviously there is a useless color swatch in the device info page but I’ll throw together a quick device handler which contains the commands for on/off/dim and dump the color picker. If anyone is interested just let me know and I can post a copy here.

Overall for $15 these appear to be great bulbs on the surface. They feel heavy and seem to be made from quality material. I primarily bought them to use in some new exterior ligh fixtures that are going in and they are very shallow meaning the bulb needs to be short. While Hue bulbs are a bit shorter overall, the light emits from the bottom of the Hue so a Hue bulb looked ugly in the fixture. The GE bulbs are a tiny bit longer but it’s mainly the glass to keep the bulb rounded. The actual LEDs where light emits from is 1-2in higher. Now instead of light flooding out the bottom of my fixture it can only be seen through the glass surrounding the fixture which looks much more clean. I’ll have a better idea tonight if I like the color temperature but at first glance it looks great. I know Philips just released the Hue lux but the price point is still double the GE @ $30 vs $15. I think the GE has potential to be the new go-to bulb for simple applications as it’s priced very well.

1 Like