Door Sensor for a Recessed Door

I’m looking for a little help finding a door sensor that fits my front door and works with the Smartthings hub. The problem I have is that the door is recessed in the frame so most open/close sensors cannot be installed properly (a least in not in any way that I can see). I was hoping to purchase an Aeon recessed sensor but have no idea when they will be available again.

On the sensor used by my current alarm system the magnetic sensors are detached from the main body (with on piece being linked to it by a small wire) and the attached piece is small enough to fit the door jamb. Is there any Smarthings compatible sensor that is built that way?

I can upload a picture somewhere later today if it help people visualize the problem.

A picture will definitely help here

Can you mount it on the outside? I have done this on my back door and my front door in order to make it look better. But I’ve also got storm doors on both of these so the devices stay out of the weather pretty good.

Another option might be to make your own “recessed” sensor. Can you “cut out” a section above the door that you would fit the magnet end of the sensor into?

Can you mount it on the outside?

I would have the same problem on the other side. Besides, it’s front door of my house so it doesn’t make much sense and I have no outer door to protect it from the elements (I’m in Canada, we gets lots of snow and freezing weather). The winter cold alone would probably drain the battery quite rapidly.

Can you “cut out” a section above the door that you would fit the magnet end of the sensor into?

I guess I could, but it seems like more work that the circular holes required by the Aeon recessed sensor. Not only that, but since it’s not designed for that, removing it to replace batteries might be a pain.

I’ll post a picture of the door when I get home later today to give people a better visual on the problem.

[quote=“daoom, post:4, topic:4383, full:true”]
> Can you “cut out” a section above the door that you would fit the magnet end of the sensor into?

I guess I could, but it seems like more work that the circular holes required by the Aeon recessed sensor. Not only that, but since it’s not designed for that, removing it to replace batteries might be a pain.[/quote]
Yeah, it’s certainly be more work than a simple circle bore, that’s for sure. But if you put the main part on the inside of the door and the magnet into the area above the door you’d only have to cut out the magnet part and still have easy access to the battery part.

Best I can do quickly in paint, but on the left side is the door with the “battery” half of the sensor. Then on the right shows the door closed in the oversized frame. The magnet part of the sensor rests “above” the oversized door frame and lines up with the battery end when closed.

Does that make sense?

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I’ll check tonight to see how feasible that is.

Thanks for the help.

You might be able to replace the supplied magnet with some other rare-earth magnet that has the right shape you’re looking for. It should work as long as the sensor doesn’t use a coded magnet, which are mainly used as safety switches. I can do a quick test tonight and let you know the results.

The only other issue that I can see is that the switch activation area would be larger, so it might be possible to have the sensor think the door is closed when it’s actually ajar.

After examining my door frame tonight, I implemented something similar to chrisb’s suggestion.

Thank for all the suggestions and help.

Cool! Glad it’s working for you, and happy to help.

Do you have a picture of this?
I am located in Canada and have a recessed door I would like to try to install the Multi-Purpose Sensor on…

You’re responding to a post that’s three years old, so I’m not sure you’re going to get an answer. :disappointed_relieved:

These days instead most people would use the Sensative zwave open close sensors. These have a patented design which allowed for a super thin battery and they fit inside the door frame for most doors and windows. They do cost more, but the battery is supposed to last for 10 years, so you do get some extra value that way. They are popular, officially supported, and general work well. So just another option to consider. :sunglasses:

The Smartest House often has some kind of deal on these, typically bundled with a different device, which helps with the price:

Thanks for the info!
How do I find these in Canada?

You can order them from Amazon US if that helps any.

https://www.amazon.com/Sensative-Strips-Z-Wave-Window-Contact/dp/B01LWMTUI8

Otherwise check with @TheSmartestHouse and see if they can ship to Canada.

We ship to Canada from our store so feel free to order them directly here:

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/sensative

The single pack is also available on Amazon Canada with Prime shipping:

1 Like