D-Link IP Camera device type (DCS-930L tested)

Yeah just got my camera up and running the other day to realize that I can’t view past photos in the Android app (or any other way that I’m aware of!). I can still have my camera itself send/upload photos, but super bummed that the integration isn’t fully functional.

I’ve got an Android and a DCS-2330L. I’ve followed scottinpollock’s instructions, have it all setup but when i click “Take Photo”, nothing happens. Should this work with my hardware?

Thanks.

EDIT: I changed nothing and tried again, and now the photos are showing up! Awesome, thank you!!

I get this error when I try and save this

java.lang.RuntimeException: Metadata Error: input() can only be invoked inside a section definition

I get this error when I try scottinpollocks code

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script14112473213581783180489.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script14112473213581783180489$_run_closure1) values: [script14112473213581783180489$_run_closure1@7db97728]

Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

If anybody is considering one of these D-Link cameras like I was you can pick them up for $20 shipped with code NEW10 here

I bought one of the $20 D-Link DSC 930L cameras. It arrived today, works fine on the Ethernet cable but can NOT get it to work on Wifi (myDlink). My parents ordered the same camera and are having the same problem!

Any ideas?

Did you go into settings and set up wireless?

I tried all kinds of stuff in the DLink setup wizard, and then in the advanced settings I enabled wireless etc with no luck. As soon as I pull the Ethernet cable the LED goes red and stays red (never connects to Wifi).

I have several of them and have had no issues.

I had no issues. Don’t use the wizard or the software. Just go into settings, choose wireless:
Under Wireless Settings select enable.
Under Basic Wireless Settings select Infrastructure.
Under Wireless Security Mode select WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK; enter your router’s key below.

Then click the Site survey button and wait for it to find your router… click the Join button and then the Select button.

I’m trying the local connection method but can’t get it to work.

My IP for the camera is 10.0.0.72 and http://10.0.0.72/image/jpeg.cgi does return an image.

For the network ID, I have 0A000048:0050. The admin/username is filled out correctly and the image path is /image/jpeg.cgi.

The only caveat is it is a 933L, but I don’t think that should matter considering the image URL works. Any ideas?

My problem was a router setting. I ended up changing my router to WPA2 and the DLink camera works fine.

Thanks @scottinpollock I just added the ‘local’ device type using a DCL-931L and it works beautifully.

@scottinpollock
@ethomasii

Will any of the Camera Apps email (or send to Google Drive/ Dropbox) me pics or video of motion events only when my ST mode is “Away”? I’m using D-Link DCS930L cameras. I need to store the pics somewhere other than my phone/iPad because they are turned off when I’m at work.

Thanks

Now that I got this working, I noticed when I scroll through the images it looks like the old images are being overwritten with the most recent image. It shows many images when I scroll through, but if I take a new photo, that photo then replaces everything else and I can no longer see the older photos.

Has anyone else come across this?

EDIT: Actually after further investigation … it looks like if I do a refresh of the camera, or click on “activity” and then go back to the camera, it makes a duplicate of the most recent imaged. If i refreshed 10 times, I would not see the same image 10 times, removing the older images.

@scottinpollock
@ethomasii

Can this camera Smartapp turn the DLink camera on/off?
ON when I’m away, OFF when home etc, if so I will just leave my current dLink motion detection emails coming.

That way I don’t get the DLink motion emails when I’m at home etc.
Thanks

If not maybe the app can turn the DLink motion emails on and off? I know that is an option when using the DLink App.

It doesn’t… but since discovering their API, it could.

One problem might be that it does not work reliably, at least it hasn’t been working reliably for me over the past week as I have been calling the API to change motion settings from HAM Bridge.

SmartThings has been such a mess lately, I haven’t had the patience to pay more attention to it to see what is wrong. That, plus my phone is sitting in a pile of parts on my desk while I wait for a T3 driver to arrive. (c;

Yikes! Well let us know if anything changes please. If we could just turn it on and off with modes or start and stop the DLink emails that would be awesome. Would not be restricted to the current 10 emails and would be using the cameras motion detection.
Thanks for the reply.

I would think starting and stopping the emails might be a little too granular for a device-type, plus folks would probably be doing other things with motion (such as saving images) so I think turning the motion detection on and off would work better for most users.

I’ll try and have another look at it next week.

So I am trying to wrap my head around what capability to use for the motion detection on/off setting, and while ‘switch’ comes to mind (so that any app would be able to switch this bit), seems like having your camera(s) showing up with all of the rest of your lights and switches might be a little confusing to folks.

Is there a better, or more intuitive way to define this?

I think you misunderstood. This won’t show up as a switch in the dashboard interface; it will be listed as a switch in the input interface of a smart app, with the choices being simply ‘on’ and ‘off’.