CleverObjects: Control SmartThings using Android Wear

You can tell people called, and you can reply to text messages and emails using the microphone on the watch. As well as doing any of the “Ok Google” actions etc. In fact, the only thing you cant do, is make a phone call.

Picked up the app last night, working great. Have one switch that isn’t responding, but I’ll reach out to you with details.

Please keep on track to release the status and lock abilities!

1 Like

I downloaded the app the other day, and my switches/bulbs were added to the watch interface fine, but actuating them doesn’t do anything. Is there some way I/we can debug what’s going on? The ST app is able to control them itself, so maybe I’m missing some step? I ran the one time setup authorization through the mobile app. Samsung galaxy s6 with moto 360.

Also, is there a way to reorder the switches? Or change the background color?

Reiterating previous suggestions, on/off status and smart locks would be great additions. Love the concept, especially excited about it’s potential.

Side note, I feel that this app should have been something ST did in a homebrew fashion… I mean, they have an app for iOS, don’t they? @Ben

@Jordan_Rejaud if you’re serious about more development, perhaps consider a Kickstarter with stretch goals for different functionality? I realize there is more to it than just money, ie time and whatnot, but maybe something to consider?either way, keep up the good work.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for downloading the app :smile:

If you are familiar with ADB debugging, you might be able to take a look at the logs and see what is going on. If your setup authorization was fine then you should be able to use the switches fine. What devices are you using? Also, there might be delays when using the app due to latency on the server side. Are you using the watch with a BT connection or a wireless one?

Currently you can’t re-order the switches or change the background colors. I’m currently working on the next major update to this app, but those features aren’t in scope of that.

On/off status and locks are going to be the next in the next major patch, stay tuned.

I agree that ST should have probably done something like this, I found it pretty strange when they released an AppleWatch app and not an AndroidWear app.

Not a bad suggestion pertaining to a kickstarter, I’m curious as to how popular it would be.

Feel free to contact me directly if the app is still misbehaving.

Just went to try this out and the authorization doesn’t appear to be working. Login, select location and devices, press Authorize and it just returns to the Link to Smartthings screen. Is this still being maintained?

Hi rcamp,

Please make sure you have the latest version of the app. Did you see an success message after you went through the connection process?

Regardless, try opening the app on your watch now and see if it’s working properly.

You can check out the google community at https://plus.google.com/communities/114621976777723010004 , please post your bug reports/ feature requests there.

Thanks for the much needed app! Just to let you know it’s working well on a Moto 360 v1. I had to restart the watch to get it working completely. The devices didn’t load at first. I love the voice control to my custom named devices. Just say “OK Google, Start Clever Objects, it opens, touch voice, say command”. You can also scroll to the device and touch on/off.

Hi Whippm,

Glad to know that you’re liking the app. :blush:

Thanks again for this app. One thing that I’d find very useful would be to launch “good night” mode. Hopefully that’s coming soon. Would this be possible by creating a virtual switch that changes modes?

Note 5 + Sony SmartWatch3

Hi Brad,

That’s not a bad idea.

I read over SmartThing’s developer documentation and it doesn’t seem that it’s possible to change the current mode, just read it.

I shot an email to ST asking if this is indeed the case.

The app currently has “Hello Home” implemented, if that helps.

It’s been added btw :slight_smile:

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/smartapp-developers-guide/modes.html#setting-the-mode

//get the current mode
def currMode = location.mode // "Home", "Away", etc.
log.debug "current mode is $currMode"

//get all available modes
def allModes = location.modes // ex: [Home, Away, Night]
log.debug "all modes for this location: $allModes"

//set the mode
location.setMode("Away")

Nvm lol, guess it can be done.

I was reading another part of the API docs and it didn’t mention such things.

What’s the difference between “modes” and “Hello, Home” phrases from a UX perspective? (I don’t use either myself)

Hello Home Phrases have been renamed to Routines and are a set of actions you can execute.

Modes are more like virtual states - they can be used as triggers to start actions and they can be used as conditions for actions. Trigger example: you might say that when a mode switches to “Night” mode you want the system to automatically turn off all the lights. Condition example: you might configure the system such that an action that automatically turns off the lights at 10 PM will only run if the mode is currently “Night”.

Modes were previously directly accessible within the SmartThings app, but they have now taken that feature away. The recommended approach to manually change a mode today is to use a Routine (Hello Home Action / Phrase) which changes the mode.

Jordan -

I installed CleverObjects on my Moto 360 (2nd Gen) with my Galaxy S6. I’ve restarted the watch and it is correctly linked to Smartthings with all the devices selected, but when I launch the app on the watch and speak the instructions, nothing happens. Any idea what might be going on?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Does pressing the buttons work? If pressing the buttons works (but using voice does not), then the limitation is due to Google’s voice recognition.

Yes, buttons work. I’ll investigate the voice thing.

We might be brothers. :smiley: Same hardware. Have you tried restarting your Moto 360 (Gen2). I have had several instances when things are not responsive with the Moto 360 that a restart seemed to resolve the issue.

Hi Dave, It’s the voice isn’t working but the buttons are, then the problem is due to Google’s voice recognition on your watch.

You want to make sure that the way Google’s voice recog is interpreting your words correctly, if it doesn’t match up with what your devices are called, it won’t work.

For example, when I said “turn off triple lights”, it would interpret it as “turn off tip the light” and thus not work.