Can't get Linear PD300Z-2 to connect to hub

Bought one of these Linear PD300Z-2 lamp modules but my hub won’t even recognize it. Hub has all latest firmware too. The instructions that come with the module are pretty confusing and I tried messing around with the button on the unit but it just won’t even show up in the app. Rebooted hub as well. Any ideas?

Just in case anyone else is having this same issue…I figured it out. The instructions say to push the button twice to include/exclude the device. What I had to do was repeatedly push the button in rapid succession to get it to finally allow the hub to see it.

1 Like

Anyone has a better instruction on how to pair this hub? I tried the above method and still couldn’t get it to connect. I first select Connect New Device and then press the button twice…nothing is added. Then try to keep pressing the button, still nothing :frowning:

I had to repeatedly keep pressing the button on the switch while the app was in pairing mode (the screen you described)…like, a ton of times. You may also want to try resetting the switch. I think I pressed the button for 5 seconds to reset it (I believe that’s what the manufacturer says…double-check to be sure) then I repeatedly pressed the button and eventually it showed up on the app.

1 Like

Ok I finally figured it out. I do need to exclude the device once first.

I took the phone with me to the device and did the Z-Wave device exclusion through the Utilities

1. App Dashboard
  2. Slide left to home screen, select option (upper right corner)
  3. Scroll down to Hubs, select hub
  4. Select Z-Wave Utilities,General Device Exclusion

At this point, I double tap on the button and it shows it was excluded. When I try to add the device again by the above steps, it was added successfully within 10 secs.

NOTE: when I select the General Device Exclusion, some of my other devices started to show up as exclude as well (ex: Nest Protect, Garage Door), which are all of my custom device type; you may need to re-add them afterward.

For the Linear PD300Z-2 dimmer modules… I had to rebuild my z-wave network and had to exclude them first. However, be aware that the go-control PD300Z directions mention a single click vs. double click exclusion.
Adding to a network:

[quote]See the Wireless Controller operating instructions for details to include this
module under the command of the Wireless Controller.

1. Prepare the Controller to include a unit to the network, by adding it to a
    group (method of adding a node to the network). Refer to the Controller
    instructions.
  2. The PD300Z-2 must be in its permanently installed location.
    • For NWI Inclusion, press the button on the PD300Z-2 once.
    • For classic inclusion, press the button on the PD300Z-2 twice.
  3. You should see an indication on your Controller that the “DEVICE WAS
    INCLUDED” in the network.
    ✓ NOTE: If you have trouble adding the PD300Z-2 to a group it may be that
    the Home ID and Node ID were not cleared from it after testing. You must
    fi rst “RESET UNIT” with your controller to remove it from the network.
    Although adding it to a group includes it in the network, removing it from
    a group does not remove it from the network. If removed from a group, it
    functions only as a repeater.
    Removing from a network:
    The PD300Z-2 can be removed from the network by the Controller/Gateway.
    Refer to the Controller operating instructions for details.
  4. Set the Controller into Removal Mode and follow its instruction to delete the
    PD300Z-2 from the Controller.
  5. Remove the switch by press the button twice.
  6. You should see an indication[/quote]

Well that is different than the Linear PD300Z-2 instructions but to be honest I didn’t read either and just went around excluding every device. Unfortunately, I excluded via single click. The reality was that I needed to exclude via the double click as listed in the Linear directions vs. Go Control’s direction.

[quote]INCLUDING PD300Z-2 TO THE NETWORK

STEP 1.

Prepare the Controller to include a unit to the network, by adding it to a group (method of adding a node to the network). Refer to controller instructions.

STEP 2. The PD300Z-2

must be in its permanently installed location.

To add a node: NWI: Tap the button once. This can be done upon power-up of the node to be included, or once the controller is prepared to add all nodes to the network.Classic

Inclusion: Tap the button twice. To remove

node: Tap the button twice

STEP 3.

You should see an indication on your Controller that the “DEVICE WAS INCLUDED” or “DEVICE WAS EXCLUDED” in the network.

NOTE:

If you have trouble adding the PD300Z-2 to a group it may be that the Home ID and Node ID were not cleared from it after testing. You must first “RESET UNIT” with your controller to remove it from the network.

Although adding it to a group includes it in the network, removing it from a group does not remove it from the network. If removed from a group, it functions as a repeater.[/quote]

The problem is that when the dimmer is set to full bright the “two clicks” don’t register except on/off. Which means with the speed that the dimmer goes full bright is too long to register the second click. Not knowing that I struggled for a very long time getting them excluded and re-included in the zwave network.

What worked for me and is very easily repeatable now that I know, is to dim the light to almost completely off. Now from off to on is a very short time and when you click twice once at off and now at fully on (very dim) it registers the second click. I have 3 of these in the house and once I figured it out on the first one, each of the other two reacted exactly the same way.

Hope this helps the next guy wondering how to exclude/include… Would have saved me a couple hours…

1 Like

Thanks, I was about to send it back. So, I unplug the switch, plug it in, hold the button five or more seconds to reset. then hit the button repeatedly, and then it was recognized by Smartthings. Mine is the Go-Control badged version, but apparently identical.

I was about to send mine back too. I’ve had it for 6 months and it’s the Nortek branded version. One day it showed up as failed on the ST dashboard. I had trouble excluding it and including it. Eventually I couldn’t even get the double-click of the button to register. I followed the instructions on this post and it worked!

Thanks