Balboa Hot Tub WiFi Module Integration

Hmmm this thread seems very interesting. Well done for the work you have done @iBeech and @kurtsanders.

I have the Evolution S1 so Im guessing it is the same details etc as the S2. I have the Balboa app installed on my iPhone. Are you still using the proxy app? Any chance it might work on Linux? I have a NetGear ReadyNAS on 24/7 - I wonder if this would be usable for the proxy?
I would love to get this working on my ST also. Have you looked at WebCoRE? As long as there is an device handler, I canā€™t see why WebCoRE wouldnā€™t work too.
I also have EchoSistant installed and working well with my Echo Dot. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if EchoSistant could be leveraged too.

Balboa need to pull their finger out - Apple will soon delete the app as it hasnā€™t been updated since 2014 and iOS has moved on a lot since then - I donā€™t understand how they can say they are at the top of their game. Especially on the Balboa website, the most recent news entry is fromā€¦2014 lol

Thanks @Townsmcp.

I strongly agree with you that Balboa Corp. has really missed the popular home automation boat on this one, and their IOS and Android tub controller apps are old and inconsistent in their connection.

I have repeatedly, over the years, tried to contact Balboaā€™s technical support management and offer my ā€œfreeā€ integration with SmartThings if they simply provide the API to the WiFi tub controller. They have denied or ignored all my requests. :scream:

The Proxy App and WiFi access protocol was developed by @iBeech. @iBeechā€™s proxy app is dependent on a Microsoft Windows platform and was used for the basis of my port to Unix and Python and some enhancements.

My Python app connects through the internet to the CloudControl REST platform which the Balboa WiFi controller communicates. The Python code is running on a headless Raspberry Pi and obtains the status of the Balboa Tub controller (e.g. Temp, Jet/Pump status, LED Lights status, Heater status, Operation status). I access it using line mode terminal SSH commands.

The Python code is not ā€œproduction readyā€ for general sharing since Balboa makes several tub controllers for so many different tubs and the WiFi API protocol is not published or standardized from tub configuration to tub configuration. Given that your Evolution S1 tub can communicate with the Balboa mobile application makes me think that the Unix based Python code might be able to get you tub status, but the controlling part (e.g. on/off, set temp, etc) might need your customization, if you are a python developer and comfortable with modifying it to your needs (much like @allanak did). If so, let me know in a PM and we can discuss next steps.

I have not been able to connect directly to the Balboa WiFi module on the local home lan through the local TCP/IP port on the WiFi module without causing the WiFi module to eventually crash after a random interval. The WiFi module is very erratic and any attempt to directly connect and read/set mostly results in a required reboot to get it back online. This is why I have not developed a ā€œproduction readyā€ SmartThings device handler since the con of a frozen WiFi unit is frustrating. I have a FortrezZ Wireless Z-Wave Multi-Input/Output Dry Contact Bridge that I have wired inline to automatically power reboot the WiFi controller when it goes offline.

As far as SmartThings and/or WebCore integration, this would be possible if Balboa or someone could provide the APIā€™s for status and control of the Balboa WiFi module. I liken Balboa to the same issues that plague SmartThing users wanting to query their MyQ garage door controller. These vendors have not been accommodating to home automation requests for status and control through SmartThings.

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately Iā€™m not a programmer :sob: So doubt I would be able to do much for customising Python code. I come from a desktop/server support background.

I assume you have seen the following site:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=26474.0

Such a shame the way Balboa are treating their customers with contempt. Their kit isnā€™t cheap - regardless if you purchase their kit as part of a spa or an upgrade to your own spa - at some point you still have a choice in the chain for their kit. Itā€™s surprising in this day and age a company can be deemed the number one supplier yet hate their customers so much.
I woulnt be surprised if they have farmed out their app and wifi integration externally. Surely creating an api for such limited functions isnā€™t too excessive for them

I have considered writing the proxy service as an Azure cloud service. The way the API works means 1 azure endpoibt could serve us all. However, there is the added complexity of differing APIsā€¦ unfortunately i donā€™t have the time to implement something like that.

Right now the only thing we have going for us is the fact that Balboa will be forced to do something once their old app gets removed from the App Store.

Maybe then they will provide a proper API and a proper app.

Having said that it would likely require firmware updates to the WiFi modulesā€¦

2 Likes

Hopefully they will be forced to do something. I have a feeling they might just ignore their customers and leave people to just use the physical controls on spas

Not when itā€™s sold as a featureā€¦ surly they canā€™t just turn a blind eye

1 Like

I think they take lessons from Chamberlain Garage Doors Openers.

1 Like

Bad news people. Apple just announced iOS 11, and with it they also silently announced in the release notes that 32-bit app support will be dropped completely upon its release. This will mean that the Balboa app needs to be updated, or donā€™t update to iOS 11 / beyond.

I expect that Balboa (or the 3rd party contractor who developed the app) will just recompile since their app isnā€™t too overly complex with controls, multi-threading, etc! Fingers crossed!

just seen this on Balboas website:

http://controlmyspa.balboawater.com/phone/index.html

I wonder if that means us customers with older systems will be shafted?

Letā€™s hope that it is all new code for an APP that works with the same hardware/firmware we have invested in!

Well I just had a reply from them about the app. I have gone back to them asking about the API being made available for smart home integration.

"Hi James

We are updating the app for iOS 11 and it will be made available prior to the upgrade date.

Thank you

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Jan Hansen | Quality Technician"

Wow, you got a useful reply- thatā€™s fantastic news! Hopefully, the new platform will provide a useful API for proper integration.

Unfortunately not :sob: I have replied back to this following email ask where we can direct requests for API access:

Hi James

No this will not be in it.

Thank you

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Jan Hansen | Quality Technician
Phone: (+45) 75 22 46 88 | Fax: (+45) 75 22 52 45

W www.balboawater.com
T twitter.com/balboawater
YT www.youtube.com/user/balboawatergroup

Balboa Water Group | Roustvej 50 | DK-6800 Varde

Fra: James Townsend
Sendt: 27. juni 2017 08:20
Til: Jan Hansen
Emne: Re: SV: Tech Support

Excellent. Will there also be an API exposed that we can use for integration into Smart home devices such as Samsung SmartThings?

Thanks

That doesnā€™t stop me reverse engineering the app, as I did with the current one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

iBeech,
I have a new tub with a Balboa BP501(labeled PBP501X) controller. I have not purchased a wifi device yet and saw the ControlMySpa as well as the bwa device(P# 50350) and app. Do you have any thoughts on which direction I should go for integrating into my SmartThings hub if starting from 0 with the tub?

I have access to developers for Python and .NET as well as Azure resources. Would be glad to bring my resources to bear for the community.

Awesome thread. Just purchased an A8L last weekend (with a BFBP20) and added the Balboa 50350-06. Fex ex delivered yesterday and up and running on Wifi in 30 minutes. Agree that the app is inconsistent, but we havenā€™t lost connectivity (yet) and can access outside my network. Have Alexa connected to Sonos (11devices), Honeywell thermostats (3devices), Sonoff (10devices), Lutron Dimmers (3devices), Rachoi Sprinklers, SimpliSafe alarmā€¦ SO, getting the spa integrated is priority. I run both Win and Linux at home and can code in Python, although not my pref. Iā€™m open to help wherever I can. How can I get the latest collective efforts and what can I share?

Keeping my eye on this thread as I also own the same Evolution S2 2015ā€¦never had an issue with the wifi dropping out but I do have an AP within 4ā€™ of the tub so maybe that helps.

2 Likes

can someone pm me the details on getting this setup? Iā€™m not afraid of getting my hands dirty here. I have a PhD in computer science and may be able to help.

Is this still maintained? Iā€™m about to buy one of these hot tubs new (so new firmware etc) and would like to control when it heats etc; I have solar at home so want to ensure during the day it does as much of the heating as possible to reduce my power consumption etc.