Automatic now works with Nest

Hi guys,

I’m currently working on some cloud-to-cloud integration with Automatic.

See My Automatic Device at:

you ever get this working?

Bumping this thread just for feedback. I’d like to get a connected car device. Automatic sounds appealing but I am seeing lots of bad reviews…Thoughts?

I have an automatic and it’s neat to track your trips and mileage. Automatic provides a lot of functionality for a relatively small cost. Great for Uber drivers or anyone looking to track mileage. Also great if you want to drive more efficiently- it beeps when you stop or accelerate too hard! It connects to Nest and Echo, but not Smartthings. However, don’t expect to view any live data without buying another app.
The Nest functionality is so-so. Nest manages things better anyway.
The Echo functionality is neat, you can ask where your car is and how much gas is left.
It does not have any SmartThings functionality at this point.
It’s worth the price - look for sales, it seems to always be $79.

1 Like

I’ve had my Automatic since kickstarter days. Generation one would miss trips every once in a while. Generation two is solid since it has its own GPS. So even if you don’t have your phone with you, the next time you bring it will catch up.

Multiple users are annoying. We have three drivers sharing the same car and it isn’t deterministic which driver’s phone it connects unless you turn off blue tooth. This complicates later analysis of trips.

It is handy to use with rental cars but you are limited to five cars active at any one time. It purges out the oldest.

I haven’t tried @yvesracine SmartThings app yet.

Overall, I would recommend it to others.

1 Like

Good to know, thank you both for input. I like the one time pay rather than yearly commitment of any other device out there. How is their IFTTT channel is anyone using it for anything?

Unreliable. I’ve tried using it for location presence stuff and it never works for me.