ActiON Dashboard 4.6.3 is here! (Now SmartTiles.click)

I have these mounted with my android tablet.

I was able to use two apps that would use the front facing camera and detect motion to turn on the display. But it ate through the battery, so I just hit the button to turn it on now.

I used two Large 3M Velcro strips that you would normally use to hang pictures works great.

It has a front-facing camera.

I followed the instructions on this page:

And got it to work great.

Here are the pasted instructions:

Just to let you know I have some up with a simple solution it combines an app from the app store called Motion Detector by jastrzab: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.motion.detector Then install a plugin called Turn Screen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B59hfsZAaVYtYndqQzNXWVBkaXM/edit?usp=sharing

Install both apps.
Open the Motion Detector app and turn on “Send” at the bottom of settings. Click on motion detector (at the top) and then scroll down to “camera” and select “front”.
Open the Turn Screen app. click the only button to make it active.
Open android settings, Turn off the lock screen or select “none”.
Change the sleep settings to time out in the desired time.
Turn off Daydream.
Open the app (or home screen) you want to have displayed on the screen when the tablet wakes, and you’re all set! Wait for the screen to go to sleep and walk by or wave at your camera and it will wake it up.
Works great during the day or with the lights on. I’m currently working on an external PIR motion sensor that will allow the tablet to wake in darkness. Simple design so far just uses a cheap PIR sensor and a small led light mounted below the camera. When I walk by the PIR triggers the LED light allowing the camera to see, which triggers motion. Hoping to figure out how to eliminate the LED and just run the PIR directly into the tablet using the headphone jack or USB on the tablet. Suggestions welcomed.

1 Like

One more option to consider…many people with wall mounted tablets leave them plugged in all the time, either running cable through the wall or using a bit of finishing to cover it or using a mount with power built in.

Dlee,

Would you mind expanding upon how you have integrated Blue Iris with SmartThings? Via a smart app, device type, etc. I would very much like to do this at my house and I am not sure what is the best way to do so. Thanks.

It’s not integration. Just have REST endpoints created to turn on/off switches when a camera in Blue Iris detects motion. In the Camera settings in Blue Iris there is an Alerts tab. Alerts have many options, email, notifications etc, one is an HTTP request. I put the REST URL to turn on a switch in that alert box. Each camera can have different alert rules.

So for example, when Blue Iris detects motion on the camera pointed at the driveway, the alert uses the REST endpoint to turn on my Driveway Sensor virtual switch which turns on my entrance light and Ubi announces “driveway visitor”. I have the virtual switch set via “light power allowance” smartapp to turn off an hour later so it doesn’t spam when we are doing yard work and stuff in the driveway etc. (Or we can turn it off on the dashboard to re-arm the notification if we want to)

1 Like

For anyone interested, I may have discovered why I’m having the issue previously described. Chrome has a max connections per server limit of 6. This seems to explain why in that browser I’m only able to see 6 camera feeds when using my Blue Iris server URL.

This can be overcome a few ways…

1. Use a different browser (Ex. Firefox)
  2. Create multiple dashboard instances (each with up to 6 cameras)
  3. Use different URLs/Ports to access each camera
  4. Limit # of cameras to 6

I’ve chosen a variation of 3&4. I have 6 HD foscam cameras using the Blue Iris server/port. Non-HD cameras are accessed using their respective ip address & port.

1 Like

Thanks Dlee. I had seen that but wasn’t sure if it was the only way. It is how I have implemented it at this point and it does indeed work.

+1 for more info how you got BI working

See my last post above. It’s just REST endpoints.

I went back and checked the full screen browser I mentioned earlier. It turns out that is running in Chrome. It is a Chrome Web app. Figured out how to create them on desktop as well, you can pin or full screen these HTML5 apps.

That got me looking at Tasker on Android. Tasker now supports Chrome Webview where you can call the dashboard URL within a Tasker scene and it loads and runs like a stand alone Android app webview session. So you can set app settings like real full screen like a video app. That works well, see photo.

So now I have the dashboard loading automated through Tasker. When someone walks in the room, motion sensor turns on a smartthings outlet with tablet charger which triggers Stay Alive (app) to turn screen on, which triggers Tasker to load the scene Android Webview with the full screen Dashboard. The android app Stay Alive keeps screen on and prevents dimming while charger has power. Turns off screen a minute after power turned off. That triggers tasker to kill the Webview dashboard a while after you leave the room, x minutes after motion stops. Repeat with fresh web app load next time you return to the room. No video timeouts while screen is off. I did have to adjust my custom css widths and heights a bit.

I can post the steps over the weekend unless anyone already posted how to do this. This thread is too long to check.

3 Likes

Maybe you can already do this but can you add a garage button so we can control and see if it is open or closed. like on the door/lock page of the smart things app. Thanks

@pstuart

I have one for you. I have a DB Power IP Cam and a Cellphone which I converted into a security cam by installing an “IP Webcam” app on it. Both work via the ActiOn Dashboard tiles which I entered the appropriate addresses; when at home.

So my question is:

How do I forward the two IPs for the cameras so I can access them from the world outside of my house? (I already setup IP forwarding on my router.)

Shot in the dark here, but would anyone know how to get a first gen iZon (Stem) camera working on the dashboard?

I confirmed the IP and ran iSpy, but it doesn’t find any URLs to try. I’m a little surprised it wasn’t on iSpy’s list of cams given that these were an Apple Store favorite in the media for having poor security.

I don’t understand the question, if you already set up IP forwarding on your router, then you should be able to access them. If it isn’t working, then you didn’t set it up correctly.

You can create two tiles, one for contact sensor, once for push button, and put then next to each other.

There is a doorControl capability, are there any devices that actually use it? I think people mostly have contact sensor and push button combos…

I am talking about this button is that what you are talking about with door control?

1 Like

Yeah, which is a combo of contact sensor plus momentary switch, not an actual doorContol device.

But there is no way to make it one tile? Ok thanks

I will add it to my “to do” list. But it’s long…

1 Like

Hopefully the chamberlain integration is coming soon!!! :wink:

And Alex, it’s been said a bunch before…but thanks for all the hardwork, it’s greatly appreciated!

1 Like