2 hubs + 2 locations + 2 accounts = nightmare

So use ActiON Dashboard. Create one for each property, and provide that to the manager. They can control what they need to, but can’t mess with your system or see the other properties.

1 Like

That’s how we handled it with our vacation home, which has a local manager to look after it. Seems to be working fine, although I have to log in and out of both of my accounts to check on the status from time to time.

@bravenel,
What is the ActiOn Dashboard?
I am new to ST and am having a heck-of-a-time understanding any single aspect of the UI. I have a Windows 8.1 mobile app and don’t know what features may be missing from my relatively new app and what features I am simply ignorant of.

Action is custom code created by @625alex , a member of these forums, and freely distributed. It lets you set up a “dashboard” for SmartThings on a tablet. The larger size lets you display a lot more information at once than the official app, and you can limit which devices show up. So for example some people use it as a wallmount controller in one child’s room without letting them turn off the lights in their brother’s room next door.

It was recently renamed SmartTiles. Very popular, you’ll find lots of discussion in thd forums about it.

Here’s the website:

http://www.smarttiles.click

1 Like

Has anyone tried doing this by running multiple instances of the same app on their smartphone? I found this but no vetting done. And it’s not totally straightforward http://swapmyapp.com/how-to/run-multiple-instances-of-one-app/

These aren’t apps in the conventional sense, they are “web apps”. In other words, it’s a web page. You can have as many distinct ActiON (now SmartTiles) web apps as you want. Check out http://www.smarttiles.click.

1 Like

I installed it, where do I go to view it? There’s no link provided to where the home page is… or I gather it’s the internal IP of the hub, but being remote… I can’t view that easily

Tagging @tgauchat for SmartTiles support.

Thanks and I get that, I understand the concept but where is it located? I installed it as instructed but nothing popped up and told me OK visit this location to control your lights, etc.

So is it a webpage by IP Address that all have to set up a DNS for ?

Is it an app on my phone that was placed somewhere and now I can’t find it ?

Is the control area actually within SmartThings app itself ?

I’ve done the required steps and I don’t see any information on this basic need . If I missing it I can’t be the only one.

Hi @Phil_Blancett; You’ll can configure / create SmartTiles Dashboards within the SmartApp preferences pages of the native SmartThings mobile App. This is also where you will find the unique web browser URLs for each of the dashboards you create…

Be sure to email me for any further help, but see the screenshot steps below: Support@SmartTiles.click

1. SmartThings App main screen is their native Dashboard; Select the “My Home” Page (from the bottom row of choices)

1. Select the SmartApps Tab – this shows the list of all the SmartApps you have installed; scroll if necessary to find the “SmartTiles (Connect)” SmartApp.

1. Select one of the 5 “Dashboard List” Slots to start creating a dashboard. We calls these “child dashboards” sometimes (because the “(Connect)” is the parent).

1. Explore the various configuration sections-pages here. Most importantly, the Things page is where you add the specific set and type of Devices to your dashboards. And, equally important, the View Dashboard page is where you will click through to obtain the URL to copy for this Dashboard. Be sure to press Done (not back!)

####Again… don’t hesitate to email: Support@SmartTiles.click or get Community peer support on the Forum Topic below:

Any news on the timeline for this feature?. I have my office with a Hub and my Home with another but I made the mistake of creating an additional account instead of adding a location. Now I cannot use both locations at the same time with the same phone without login out from one (personal Email Account) and login back on to the Other one (office email account).

Just migrate the smaller Location to the other Account. You’ll have to do it manually unless Support can move the data for you.

Since all the Devices remain connected to their respective Hubs, there are no join/rejoin requirements… Just data. I wonder if you can manually create the data records with matching DNIs in the target Account…

Or just share your account 2’s locations with account one.

1 Like

Has SmartThings done anything to address this issue yet?

I’m moving into my own house soon and leaving the hub I installed at my parents house. I already bought a new hub, but just activated internet yesterday, so haven’t had a chance to set it up yet.

Should I create a new account on the new hub or just add it as a new location to my existing account?

I need presence sensors for all family members to work with both hubs for notifications but I don’t want everyone to have access to locks and garage doors at the other location.

How is this being handled? Looks like it’s’ been almost 3 years since this thread has been created and SmartThings said they were addressing the issue.

Sorry if I missed something, but all of my searches related to this topic always take me back to this thread.

ActionTiles ($23.99 per Location, after 14 day free trials) is now available which seamlessly lets you mix and match Things from any number of Locations, even if they are on different SmartThings Accounts (or within the same Account; your choice).

Thing and Panel sharing is completely secure.

Give it a try, and don’t hesitate to ask any questions. Thanks!

Oh no… I just bought another hub to set up at my family’s cabin. I added it to my account and have been happy so far. But I haven’t yet tried totally share it with anyone else. You’re telling me that in order to share it with other family members who use the cabin, I have to give them full access to my house? This is not good… There’s got to be a way around this…

@Tyler any signs of access controls coming anytime soon?

Tyler no longer works for SmartThings. He will be missed. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

A very functional “way around this” is to use ActionTiles with its granular “secure Panel Sharing” feature.

Only the Tiles you place on the shared Panels (from any Hub) will be accessible to those who login to the “Buddy Accounts” in ActionTiles.

Furthermore, a Panel can be shared “view only” or have specific designated PIN Protected Tiles (obviously useful for SHM and Lock controls).

2 Likes

Ah ya, that’s right. I heard about that. :frowning_face:

I think that’s what I’m going to have to do. However, it still bothers me that there isn’t a way to share a single location.

1 Like